Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

20 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I think thats us up to 15th place now. 2 CL and 3 EL places up for grabs at the end of the 20/21 season.

2 CL spots is the bit that matters and it's a hideous prospect.

Remember when the Cups got shared around domestically, with some winning their first trophy in generations, while others won their first ever.

Yes that will become unthinkable again as two sides scoop the lot.  It's ever so exciting though, isn't it?

As much as MT's being a knob on this thread, he's absolutely right about two Champions League places. The idea of Rangers 2 stabilising their finances through a couple of qualifying games every season is appalling. It's bad enough that the other lot steadfastly refuse to f**k off and die.

2 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

As much as MT's being a knob on this thread, he's absolutely right about two Champions League places. The idea of Rangers 2 stabilising their finances through a couple of qualifying games every season is appalling. It's bad enough that the other lot steadfastly refuse to f**k off and die.

There's a contradiction in there somewhere.

The reason I'm a 'knob' is that I keep highlighting the problem you recognise, yourself.  You too are clearly something of a knob.

Embrace it, so to speak.

On 29/11/2019 at 18:37, Monkey Tennis said:

2 CL spots is the bit that matters and it's a hideous prospect.

Remember when the Cups got shared around domestically, with some winning their first trophy in generations, while others won their first ever.

Yes that will become unthinkable again as two sides scoop the lot.  It's ever so exciting though, isn't it?

Personally I think the team playing out of ibrox might have an administration in them and will struggle to recover from living within their means.

how would you feel if an Aberdeen or Motherwell (again) got a crack at CL qualifiers? 

18 minutes ago, Yoda8 said:

Personally I think the team playing out of ibrox might have an administration in them and will struggle to recover from living within their means.

how would you feel if an Aberdeen or Motherwell (again) got a crack at CL qualifiers? 

He wouldn't feel good about it I doubt. There's more fundamental issues with European prize money and its impact on domestic competition at play than just a different team being given the opportunity to earn it.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

He wouldn't feel good about it I doubt. There's more fundamental issues with European prize money and its impact on domestic competition at play than just a different team being given the opportunity to earn it.

As much as we'd love it, we'd surely pull further away from the others than we have in seasons previous.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

As much as we'd love it, we'd surely pull further away from the others than we have in seasons previous.

That would require being able to get through qualifiers though so Aberdeen have no chance of that moolah.

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indeed.

The reality is though that only two of our clubs really have the might to consistently get through qualifiers and the problem of the already richest getting much richer year on year, centres on the OF.

On 02/12/2019 at 18:46, Monkey Tennis said:

Indeed.

The reality is though that only two of our clubs really have the might to consistently get through qualifiers and the problem of the already richest getting much richer year on year, centres on the OF.

The reality is if we stay in this form there will be no qualifiers and Aberdeen will go straight into the Europa cup with making 8 to 10 million. 

The bottom line is that it would be a catastrophe for Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, especially if any of the other clubs in that group were to make it to the Champions League. It would make it close to impossible to compete with such a club medium term.

A smaller club with smaller gates like Motherwell wouldn't be such a disaster as they'd be constrained in what they could do by their relatively small supports. It would give them a huge short-term boost, right enough.

But the reality-changing nature of the money on offer is obscene and something as arbitrary as winning or losing a penalty shoot-out, or getting a really easy draw because of a shock in a previous round, could completely alter everything.

I think it's fair to say that the thinking man knows the Champions League is bad for our league and ultimately having two clubs in it regularly will destroy any hope of balance forever. I honestly wouldn't even want Hearts in it. The system is bad.

Edited by JTS98

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

The bottom line is that it would be a catastrophe for Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, especially if any of the other clubs in that group were to make it to the Champions League. It would make it close to impossible to compete with such a club medium term.

A smaller club with smaller gates like Motherwell wouldn't be such a disaster as they'd be constrained in what they could do by their relatively small supports. It would give them a huge short-term boost, right enough.

But the reality-changing nature of the money on offer is obscene and something as arbitrary as winning or losing a penalty shoot-out, or getting a really easy draw because of a shock in a previous round, could completely alter everything.

I think it's fair to say that the thinking man knows the Champions League is bad for our league and ultimately having two clubs in it regularly will destroy any hope of balance forever. I honestly wouldn't even want Hearts in it. The system is bad.

I wouldn't be so sure if it was Aberdeen as I would imagine the playing budget would go up a bit but the majority of the windfall would go on the stadium build.

If the current competition structures had been in place in season 1985-86, Scotland would have had:

CL Group Stage:

Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee Utd, Rangers

EL Group Stage:

St Mirren, Dundee

EL Q2:

Hearts

Aberdeen would have been a top seed as the league champions, and I think Dundee Utd's ranking (8th) would have been high enough for them to be a top seed too.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

If the current competition structures had been in place in season 1985-86, Scotland would have had:

CL Group Stage:

Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee Utd, Rangers

EL Group Stage:

St Mirren, Dundee

EL Q2:

Hearts

Aberdeen would have been a top seed as the league champions, and I think Dundee Utd's ranking (8th) would have been high enough for them to be a top seed too.

I don't actually accept that that's true.

If current competition structures had been introduced wholesale in that season, with everything before it being exactly as it actually was until the mid-80s, it could be argued that Scotland would be represented as above.

The reality is though, that these very structures have played a significant part in the drop in our game's standing.  They didn't arrive overnight - they were relatively gradual.  Had they happened earlier, it's likely that they too would have unfolded over many years.

What I'm trying to say is that there's little point in pretending that Scottish clubs could ever prosper on the European stage as it's now configured.