Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

30 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

Both teams will be unseeded unless the near impossible happens tomorrow night.

Yeah I believe that to be true if I'm being honest.

Officially it just defers to which teams qualify for that round, usually all the champions league losers who enter are seeded so it lessens the Scottish teams being seeded.  If both Rangers and Aberdeen qualify tonight they will play the higher ranked teams of Hnk Rijeka and Midtjylland respectively. 
If both Aberdeen and Rangers win in the next round I doubt very much that they will be seeded for the play off round but if both Rijeka and Midtjylland win they possibly will be seeded. No matter, it will be really hard. So first come, deal with tonight with wins lol (being greedy) then deal with the next round against the Croatian and Danish teams and then see how it goes.

In regards to coefficiency if we eventually did do well enough in the future to have two Scots teams in the Champions league, the league path is tragic. I watched Basel v PSV Eindhoven last night and that's they type of standard our second placed team would get which doesn't generate a lot of positives for our teams getting through whoever the second place team is..

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah I believe that to be true if I'm being honest.

Officially it just defers to which teams qualify for that round, usually all the champions league losers who enter are seeded so it lessens the Scottish teams being seeded.  If both Rangers and Aberdeen qualify tonight they will play the higher ranked teams of Hnk Rijeka and Midtjylland respectively. 
If both Aberdeen and Rangers win in the next round I doubt very much that they will be seeded for the play off round but if both Rijeka and Midtjylland win they possibly will be seeded. No matter, it will be really hard. So first come, deal with tonight with wins lol (being greedy) then deal with the next round against the Croatian and Danish teams and then see how it goes.

In regards to coefficiency if we eventually did do well enough in the future to have two Scots teams in the Champions league, the league path is tragic. I watched Basel v PSV Eindhoven last night and that's they type of standard our second placed team would get which doesn't generate a lot of positives for our teams getting through whoever the second place team is.

If they get to the UEL play-off round, none of those teams will be seeded - the draw is made on Monday, and their rankings are not high enough to make them seeds, they'll just need to hope to avoid the strongest teams: https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2019.html

If we did get to 15th in the next couple of seasons, Switzerland are unlikely to be above us to get two spots, and the Netherlands are likely to be higher and not come in until QR3. Our 2nd place would probably still be unseeded, but if they lose in UCL QR2 then they have another chance with a play-off to get into the UEL. If that fails then they have a final chance in the UEL2 play-off round!

Good news for the Scottish coefficient as Red Star lose on the night to HJK due to a very late goal but still win the tie. 
Watched 30 mins if it. HJK had to open up and as a result left big spaces in behind. Not really sure how Red Star didn't score more. The don't seem particularly clinical.

Serbian team out in Europa League tonight too. Only two left for them now across both comps.

3 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Watched 30 mins if it. HJK had to open up and as a result left big spaces in behind. Not really sure how Red Star didn't score more. The don't seem particularly clinical.

Serbian team out in Europa League tonight too. Only two left for them now across both comps.

Two wins tomorrow night and we will be close to overtaking them.

42 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

Two wins tomorrow night and we will be close to overtaking them.

Two wins tomorrow and we will overtake them - however Partizan will surely win at home to the Nomads to remain ahead.

Norway are having a good season as well, but they'll be hampered next year when they lose 7.250 from their total.

42 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Two wins tomorrow and we will overtake them - however Partizan will surely win at home to the Nomads to remain ahead.

Norway are having a good season as well, but they'll be hampered next year when they lose 7.250 from their total.

Gd Gd so our other two Scottish teams need to do their part tomorrow.

Rangers I expect to get through but know it will be hard over there. Aberdeen I'm a bit worried that a bit of complacency will come in as they know they had a good draw away from home, thinking that hard work has been done. 
Anyways good luck to both tomorrow

On 30/07/2019 at 23:47, Ginaro said:

Crucial win for Switzerland with Basel beating PSV on away goals, will be favourites against Austrian club LASK for a place in the UCL PO round (guaranteed UEL group stage). Depends on the draw - likely to be either Porto or Dynamo Kiev for a UCL group spot.

Doesn't mean anything but Celtic's win puts us 1st for points this season.

From what I have read in the press here, and going by the commentary on Tuesday night, Basel are already guaranteed a Europa League group spot even if they lose their next tie. Means the Swiss have 3 spots in the Europa group stages guaranteed(And still possibly 2 CL/2EL), with Lugano going straight in and YB coming into the CL at the play off stage. Luzern are winning their tie against the Faroe Islanders going into the second leg away tonight. Huge favourites to go through but they have a habit in Europe of losing from good positions.

Edited by Ross.

If Celtic beat Cluj, they'll be wanting to avoid Young Boys. That's a hoor of a tie. 

Celtic seem to slip up whenever their 2nd leg is away. They should be going through from this round tbh and, if they avoid Young Boys, they should be getting to the group stages. Rangers have got quite a tough tie in Midtjylland. Pretty sure they gave Man U a good game in the Europa League last season? Not the toughest draw they could have got which says it all about being unseeded. Aberdeen knocked out Rijeka a few years ago and have the 2nd leg at home, so I think they've got a decent chance (should they see off this Georgian team).

Hypothetically, if the Scottish coefficient does go up to the position where 2 teams qualify for Champions League football, does that mean the winner of the league has to only play 2, at most, qualifiers?

If Celtic beat Cluj, they'll be wanting to avoid Young Boys. That's a hoor of a tie. 
Celtic seem to slip up whenever their 2nd leg is away. They should be going through from this round tbh and, if they avoid Young Boys, they should be getting to the group stages. Rangers have got quite a tough tie in Midtjylland. Pretty sure they gave Man U a good game in the Europa League last season? Not the toughest draw they could have got which says it all about being unseeded. Aberdeen knocked out Rijeka a few years ago and have the 2nd leg at home, so I think they've got a decent chance (should they see off this Georgian team).
Hypothetically, if the Scottish coefficient does go up to the position where 2 teams qualify for Champions League football, does that mean the winner of the league has to only play 2, at most, qualifiers?
What's so difficult about Young Boys compared to the others?

Probably two rounds for the Champions to get into CL groups if you are 15th. Technically it's three rounds but if the CL winner already qualifies through their domestic competition the places get shuffled about and the champions of 15th place move up a round.

47 minutes ago, charger29 said:

What's so difficult about Young Boys compared to the others?

Probably two rounds for the Champions to get into CL groups if you are 15th. Technically it's three rounds but if the CL winner already qualifies through their domestic competition the places get shuffled about and the champions of 15th place move up a round.

Given that Basel, who finished 2nd in the Swiss League, just knocked out PSV, I'm going to safely assume that the champions of said league will be even better. That is a solid game. No other team comes close to them tbh. 

28 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Given that Basel, who finished 2nd in the Swiss League, just knocked out PSV, I'm going to safely assume that the champions of said league will be even better. That is a solid game. No other team comes close to them tbh. 

The two teams looked off the pace,Basel are always good at home but PSV's defending was shockingly bad.
Given Young Boys haven't played yet it would give Celtic the edge. 
I would take young boys before Cluj, a lot of seeded teams have already been knocked out plus just because a country is higher in the co-efficient doesn't mean they are better.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

From what I have read in the press here, and going by the commentary on Tuesday night, Basel are already guaranteed a Europa League group spot even if they lose their next tie. Means the Swiss have 3 spots in the Europa group stages guaranteed(And still possibly 2 CL/2EL), with Lugano going straight in and YB coming into the CL at the play off stage. Luzern are winning their tie against the Faroe Islanders going into the second leg away tonight. Huge favourites to go through but they have a habit in Europe of losing from good positions.

Right enough - thought clubs needed to get to the UCL PO to drop down but the four QR3 clubs get a group stage spot as well. That'll be Austria with 1 CL + at least 2 EL group stage teams as well.

19 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Right enough - thought clubs needed to get to the UCL PO to drop down but the four QR3 clubs get a group stage spot as well. That'll be Austria with 1 CL + at least 2 EL group stage teams as well.

I assume it was a sop to those leagues for losing out on an automatic qualification spot? I have to admit, I thought I misheard the commentators and it wasn't until after the game I realised they were right.

I thought that they dropped down into the EL playoff? That's what happened to Celtic last season when they went out in CL Q3. Or does this just apply to non-champions?

45 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:
Are we not actually better having some easy ties in the early qualifying rounds to gain some points rather than going into round 3 and getting knocked out?

What's the point of gaining those points if you're not going to use those points to move up the points table?

In all seriousness, Scotland has regularly been inside the top 15. Taking just the CL era into account we're borderline top 15 with some seasons clearly inside and some clearly outside.
We've shown over the past few seasons that we're better than our current position shows though.
20190801_134514.jpeg

Edited by charger29

1 hour ago, dysartrovers said:

Are we not actually better having some easy ties in the early qualifying rounds to gain some points rather than going into round 3 and getting knocked out?

The way the move to 3 competitions will work is you lose some of these earlier rounds anyway. Certainly for a nation like ours that hovers in the Top 20.

I don't think it has been decided how coefficient points will be accrued once you reach the group stages of UEL1 and UEL2 but it'll probably be better being in UEL1 given how bonus points benefit CL participation compared to the current Europa League.

So you'll want to be higher to benefit from that.