Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

Hoping for a 0-0 draw in Athens with Celtic facing Lithuanian or Larvian opponents in the Europa League play-offs. Can't see them achieving anything in the Champions League group stages but a kind draw in the Europa could yield 4/5 wins.

Edit: "Larvian" lol. Must have a bug on my laptop

need to worm it out

or maybe I have grubby fingers

something something about maggots etc

Edited by badgerthewitness

14 hours ago, GordonS said:
On 06/08/2018 at 19:41, hellbhoy said:
Naw MT, you have been constantly providing moandates. The coefficient might not matter to you but for me it is of much interest whether my club and the other Scottish clubs who qualify end up in seeded pots avoiding some of the more difficult clubs on the journey to the group stages.

What does the coefficient have to do with seeding?

Good point, you win. Was winding up MT about his whinging.

10 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Why even bother with all this crap. It's pretty obvious that Uefa / TV companies / Big Leagues, only want the teams from the highly populated countries playing each other so as they can continue to generate enough revenue as possible at the expense of everything and everyone else.

It's even happened in International football, as make no mistake, the only reason for the new European Championships qualification format is so that the likes of England, Germany, Italy, France & Spain can all play each other constantly in hyped up glamour friendlies especially made for the TV audiences.

It's been getting more boring by the year but I reckon we're pretty close to saturation point at both club and international level.........

Looks like Celtic fans agree:

10 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

Hoping for a 0-0 draw in Athens with Celtic facing Lithuanian or Larvian opponents in the Europa League play-offs. Can't see them achieving anything in the Champions League group stages but a kind draw in the Europa could yield 4/5 wins.

On a happier note for Celtic, if they end up in the Europa and draw Jurmala then it's a fantastic trip to a nice wee seaside resort on the Baltic just about 12 miles from Riga.

I once attended a Skonto Riga v Jurmala match and can honestly say it was the worst game I've been to in my life and that's coming from a guy who's watched Ayr v Arbroath on a cold and miserable day in January !!!

17 individual games so far in this European campaign for the 4 Scottish teams, and no 90 minute defeats. 9 wins, 8 draws.

That will probably change next week with all 3 of Celtic, Hibs and Rangers playing away from home, but things have been collectively much better this season.

Just now, Nightmare said:

17 individual games so far in this European campaign for the 4 Scottish teams, and no 90 minute defeats. 9 wins, 8 draws.

That will probably change next week with all 3 of Celtic, Hibs and Rangers playing away from home, but things have been collectively much better this season.

What's the coefficient total so far? 11, 11.5 or 12? Heading for the countries best total in years by the looks of it.

21 hours ago, GordonS said:

Looks like Celtic fans agree:

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Hypocritical nonsense.

Those fans are all in favour of football that features loaded dice, so long as they get to clutch them.

Good on Celtic fans for making a stand against the money driven dictatorship that is  U€£A, far more folk should speak out.

However, as MT says, it is as hypocritical as it gets;  I've never once heard a Celtic fan complain when they get to drop into the Europa league after they get knocked out of the champions league at the expense of nearly all the 140 or however many clubs that enter the EL at the qualifying stage, purely to ensure the money goes where it's meant to go.

If their club had any morality at all they'd refuse, and accept that once you're out of Europe, you're out.

Its the way Celtic fans expect fans of other Scottish clubs to agree with them over the champions league qualification carve up.. it shows a laughable lack of awareness.

Just now, PauloPerth said:

Good on Celtic fans for making a stand against the money driven dictatorship that is  U€£A, far more folk should speak out.

However, as MT says, it is as hypocritical as it gets;  I've never once heard a Celtic fan complain when they get to drop into the Europa league after they get knocked out of the champions league at the expense of nearly all the 140 or however many clubs that enter the EL at the qualifying stage, purely to ensure the money goes where it's meant to go.

If their club had any morality at all they'd refuse, and accept that once you're out of Europe, you're out.

Its the way Celtic fans expect fans of other Scottish clubs to agree with them over the champions league qualification carve up.. it shows a laughable lack of awareness.

That pisses me off as well. Once you get beat then surely you get papped out.

How many chances do CL clubs get before they actually get knocked out? 2,3 or 4 if you count getting 3rd in the CL group stages. Too many umbrellas imo.

Just now, hellbhoy said:

That pisses me off as well. Once you get beat then surely you get papped out.

How many chances do CL clubs get before they actually get knocked out? 2,3 or 4 if you count getting 3rd in the CL group stages. Too many umbrellas imo.

As well as ensure the correct distribution of money in UEFA's eyes, it's served to completely devalue the competition. It was never going to be on a par with the champions league, but it could still be seen as a worthwhile tournament in its own right.

Now it's just the consolation cup.

I think a re-introduction of the cup winners cup would be quite good. No group nonsense, straight knockout. It would at least be a hilarious mix of mega clubs along with wee diddy dross.

Spoiler

Yes, yes...  something about St Johnstone   :1eye

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I think a re-introduction of the cup winners cup would be quite good. No group nonsense, straight knockout. It would at least be a hilarious mix of mega clubs along with wee diddy dross

I'm having some of this, back to three Euro competitions, less qualifiers and more knock out.  One comp on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Clear ways teams enter competitions by winning or finishing in a position of their league, same for every country.  You want European football then win a cup or a league.  No seeding when you enter, just straight knockout or group's.