Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

14 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I'll take that as a yes moany tennis,my granma has never been that great,more of a numbers man.

Take it as a 'no'.

All the other identified changes that have accompanied those to European club competitions,  have also contributed to a wild imbalance in wealth and resources, so my "emphasis on the dosh" is exactly as it was.

Has MT managed to lower the coefficient on his own-some yet? Has Willy finally persuaded us that money doesn't matter in any way shape or form?

Was hoping some smart person would have updated us on the coefficient.

Heh, for a bit of levity, someone mentioned Bosman. I was wondering what Jean-Marc Bosman was up to these days, so I looked up his Wikipedia page ... 

Some of his money was lost due to a bad investment in a special T-shirt line. Bosman hoped that the players who benefited from the Bosman ruling would support him by buying one of his "Who's the Boz" T-shirts. He sold only one, to the son of his lawyer. In order to pay his taxes, he was forced to sell his second house and his Porsche Carrera.[4]

3 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

Has MT managed to lower the coefficient on his own-some yet? Has Willy finally persuaded us that money doesn't matter in any way shape or form?

Was hoping some smart person would have updated us on the coefficient.

I've been providing constant updates.

The latest on the coefficient is that it still doesn't matter.  I'll keep you posted though.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've been providing constant updates.

The latest on the coefficient is that it still doesn't matter.  I'll keep you posted though.

Naw MT, you have been constantly providing moandates. The coefficient might not matter to you but for me it is of much interest whether my club and the other Scottish clubs who qualify end up in seeded pots avoiding some of the more difficult clubs on the journey to the group stages.

Naw MT, you have been constantly providing moandates. The coefficient might not matter to you but for me it is of much interest whether my club and the other Scottish clubs who qualify end up in seeded pots avoiding some of the more difficult clubs on the journey to the group stages.
What does the coefficient have to do with seeding?

On ‎03‎.‎08‎.‎2018 at 13:32, ssdon said:

Another good week for Scotland in Europe.

Was always going to be hard for the Dons, I thought we would have got points for a draw after 90mins but seems its been put down as a loss. 

Expected Celtic to go through but good wins for Hibs and Rangers.

If we would bent those rules a bit and recognize Aberdeen's result at Burnley as a draw (which I feel would make more sense), the Scottish teams are still unbeaten in this European campaign after a combined 14 matches played. Not too bad.

League coefficient does help a clubs seeding. Burnley is a great example of a club not being in Europe for over 50 years yet can be seeded via their league coefficient. I think.
That only works if you're from a country with a good coefficient, or you have a poor club coefficient because you've not qualified for Europe enough in the preceding five years - neither of which apply to Celtic. Hellboy said that Scotland's coefficient helps Celtic's seeding, which it doesn't.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:
On 06/08/2018 at 19:41, hellbhoy said:

What does the coefficient have to do with seeding?

Years gone by, 20% of the country's coefficient was added to the club's own coefficient.

The two are now no longer combined, it's a case of whichever one is higher on its own.

2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Good results last night for Scotland, with Sweden's Malmö only drawing at home and Azerbaijan's Qarabag being beaten at home.

Both clubs are their countries only remaining teams.

True, but all the clubs at this stage drop down into the UEL play-off round, so they aren't out of it yet. Both Qarabag/BATE Borisov are likely to play at least in the UEL group stage - the losers of their tie would be favourites to win against the Moldova/Iceland champs and winner would still drop into the UEL groups if they lost to PSV. Malmo would have a tougher time if they lost, playing the Danish champs.

5 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:
22 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:
Years gone by, 20% of the country's coefficient was added to the club's own coefficient.
The two are now no longer combined, it's a case of whichever one is higher on its own.

Were Aberdeen seeded then against Burnley?

No Burnley were seeded as they used there league seeding as it was obviously higher than their own seeding. 

10 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

OK. I thought thats what fairweatherfan was saying though. The countries league coefficient isn't added to a given team. What am i not getting?

It's whichever is higher. Burnleys own club coefficient is zero, so they got 20% of England's total from the last 5 years to represent their coefficient during seeding.

4 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

OK. I thought thats what fairweatherfan was saying though. The countries league coefficient isn't added to a given team. What am i not getting?

You get EITHER your own club coefficient, OR you get 20% of the country's coefficient, whichever is the higher. Burnley obviously had to take 20% of the England coefficient as they having nothing themselves (so got 15.921, which is 20% of England's 79.605), which was higher than Aberdeen's coefficient (4). Scotland's coefficient is 18.625, so the lowest a Scottish team could have this year is 3.725.

Given that Celtic generate a big chunk of Scotland's points it's mathematically impossible that Scotland's coefficient could have any bearing on their seeding. In fact Celtic have a coefficient of 31!

The only impact Scotland's coefficient has on Celtic is the round the will enter at each season. 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

You get EITHER your own club coefficient, OR you get 20% of the country's coefficient, whichever is the higher. Burnley obviously had to take 20% of the England coefficient as they having nothing themselves (so got 15.921, which is 20% of England's 79.605), which was higher than Aberdeen's coefficient (4). Scotland's coefficient is 18.625, so the lowest a Scottish team could have this year is 3.725.

Given that Celtic generate a big chunk of Scotland's points it's mathematically impossible that Scotland's coefficient could have any bearing on their seeding. In fact Celtic have a coefficient of 31!

The only impact Scotland's coefficient has on Celtic is the round the will enter at each season. 

Why even bother with all this crap. It's pretty obvious that Uefa / TV companies / Big Leagues, only want the teams from the highly populated countries playing each other so as they can continue to generate enough revenue as possible at the expense of everything and everyone else.

It's even happened in International football, as make no mistake, the only reason for the new European Championships qualification format is so that the likes of England, Germany, Italy, France & Spain can all play each other constantly in hyped up glamour friendlies especially made for the TV audiences.

It's been getting more boring by the year but I reckon we're pretty close to saturation point at both club and international level.........