Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

8-2-0, unbeaten in 10 games - must be some sort of record? Also Hibs highest contribution to the coefficient since 89/90.

So far we have 9 out of the 16 points we got last season. Ahead - Azerbaijan down to one team, Sweden's three teams with only a draw tonight, Belarus though scored the same as us.

I don't expect much from Aberdeen. They've done well as it is. Rangers should ease through having won away from home. Hibs have a slender advantage but there's hope we will see them pick up more points for the coefficient. 

Scottish football is on the rise. 

I don't expect much from Aberdeen. They've done well as it is. Rangers should ease through having won away from home. Hibs have a slender advantage but there's hope we will see them pick up more points for the coefficient. 
Scottish football is on the rise. 

Question is, is it just a momentary positive blip or are we genuinely on the rise at last?
My fear is it’s the former but would be delighted to be proved wrong.
Well done to the Scottish clubs tonight.

30 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Question is, is it just a momentary positive blip or are we genuinely on the rise at last?
My fear is it’s the former but would be delighted to be proved wrong.
Well done to the Scottish clubs tonight.

I don't think it is a momentary positive clip at all. Our clubs have rid themselves of debt bar one particular abomination and are now investing it the playing squad instead of just paying off the interest to keep the lights on. Has taken a few years since most shed the debt but imo it correlates with with increased performances in Europe, yes it might have looked like they weren't the past couple of seasons but the signs were there that clubs were a few players short.

Now that the clubs we have competing in this seasons competitions haven't done a squad overhaul of sorts there appears to be benefits in a more settled core of players.

This may not be relevant for the time being but BT appear to be taking over the TV coverage rights and looks like a bumper payout in the offing. I just hope our clubs do as good as this season and even more so next season to force a bigger TV deal from BT hopefully.

9 hours ago, Ginaro said:

8-2-0, unbeaten in 10 games - must be some sort of record? Also Hibs highest contribution to the coefficient since 89/90.

So far we have 9 out of the 16 points we got last season. Ahead - Azerbaijan down to one team, Sweden's three teams with only a draw tonight, Belarus though scored the same as us.

Oh goody goody.

This might mean... er, nothing at all actually.

2 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Why do you bother to repeatedly post on this thread to tell us how pointless it is? Isn't that quite... pointless?

No.

Lots of you need reminders of the futility of it all as you feverishly do your wee sums.  I regard it as a valuable public service.  

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No.

Lots of you need reminders of the futility of it all as you feverishly do your wee sums.  I regard it as a valuable public service.  

You just come across like a dick tbh. If you've no interest, don't visit the thread. 

46 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You just come across like a dick tbh. If you've no interest, don't visit the thread. 

Ach, fair enough - I probably am being a bit of a dick.

I am interested however.  That's why I posed the question a few pages back about what the outcomes of an improved coefficient would be.

My own view is that to bother about it too much, is to press our noses against the glass outside a party we've not been invited to, in a way that's thoroughly unbecoming.

I also think that it's used as a means to get us to wish the OF well in Europe, masking the actual damage, as opposed to good, that their progress does our game.

Maybe I should leave it though.

52 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

All money tennis sees is the inequality and the ££££ signs don't be to harsh on him.
Serbia,Scotland and Kazakhstan on the up,Poland, Sweden,Azerbaijan and Israel on the slippy slope down.

On 25/07/2018 at 02:20, wastecoatwilly said:

I remember the 90's that was bad enough,to say Celtic are not a dominant force after winning over 100 trophies in Scotland is not just splitting hairs that's a check up from the neck up.

Thirty of those trophies have come in the last 20 years.

Twenty-two of them came between 1965 and 1975.

That leaves about fifty trophies spread over the remaining century, or one trophy every couple of years, with many of them coming back in the days when Queen's Park were a force. That's very good but it's not dominance. 

If you know your history...

30 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That leaves about fifty trophies spread over the remaining century, or one trophy every couple of years, with many of them coming back in the days when Queen's Park were a force. That's very good but it's not dominance. 

Again you seem to be focusing on Celtic,deflecting away from the facts that the same clubs and the same countries win European trophies with or without financial backing since the 50's.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Nobody else (other than the obvious) has won more than 20 trophies in their whole history.

2 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

Nobody else (other than the obvious) has won more than 20 trophies in their whole history.

Like I said, it's very good, but averaging one trophy every couple of years is not dominance. 

10 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Again you seem to be focusing on Celtic,deflecting away from the facts that the same clubs and the same countries win European trophies with or without financial backing since the 50's.

I've seen Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade win the European Cup. They'll never get close again. I don't imagine we'll see Brugge, Malmo, Partizan Belgrade or Panathanaikos in another final either. Dutch clubs have won it six times and been runners-up twice; it's been a long time since any of them troubled the business end of the Champions League, because their country is too small to generate the TV cash. I don't know about you, but I miss Ajax. And will we ever see a French club win it without whoring themselves to some dodgy regime? 

Obviously we'll never, ever see Celtic in the final again either, or Dundee Utd in the semis, or Aberdeen winning the second-tier trophy. TV cash has ruined European football.