The Upgrade - Revisited. #OperationPrune

Would it be worth making a backup of the current p&b database, cutting half of the posts and testing it again? Most of the posts that are away from the first few pages, won't be touched again, so to lose them wouldn't be a problem? 

At the end of the day, if some old posts are deleted, it's not the end of the world? The new forum looks superb and has a lot of great new features, so if we have to suffer a wee bit to make it work, so be it.

If some of those old posts would be all of the BRALT, then everyone would actually thank you.

You must have been putting in a lot of work into this DIv and i'm sure you'll get it working in the end. Looking forward to seeing the new site in action :-)

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's exactly what I did with the latest upgrade. Made some difference as I was able to get the upgrade completed over 2 days rather than a week but it still wasn't stable enough to cope with the same user load that this version coasts with.

My only option now is to have the softare providers do the upgrade. Whilst on the face of it that seems sensible it worries me greatly.

I can imagine. It's never nice having people take over something you've grafted so hard on. Hopefully it's sorted soon! If you need any development help, feel free to give me a shout! 

That's exactly what I did with the latest upgrade. Made some difference as I was able to get the upgrade completed over 2 days rather than a week but it still wasn't stable enough to cope with the same user load that this version coasts with.

My only option now is to have the softare providers do the upgrade. Whilst on the face of it that seems sensible it worries me greatly.

<<<Frantically deleting potentially incriminating posts.  :ph34r:

I prefer this version of P & B personally. What are the main benefits of the new setup over this one? The ICT forum uses what would have been the new P & B setup and personally I don't like it but then I am scared of change.

I didn't like the new one from the brief glimpse of it, but that may well be partly down to the fact that it wouldn't let me sign-in and was saying my details were wrong.

f**k. That.

And that's coming from someone who works in IT. Software providers are the biggest shower of cnuts I've had the misfortune of dealing with.

Our HR system was migrated to a new platform last October. Someone pointed out that in the Annual Leave section December 1st 2015 was marked as a public holiday (it's not). Provider said they had their top men on it and it would be fixed.

8 months later and it's still not fixed.

f**k. That.

And that's coming from someone who works in IT. Software providers are the biggest shower of cnuts I've had the misfortune of dealing with.

Our HR system was migrated to a new platform last October. Someone pointed out that in the Annual Leave section December 1st 2015 was marked as a public holiday (it's not). Provider said they had their top men on it and it would be fixed.

8 months later and it's still not fixed.

Just don't turn up on December 1st and keep your fucking mouth shut, you fool!

It's so frustrating but I think I might have to accept that we are stuck on this crappy version for evermore.

It's not frustrating for us. We love this crappy version that you have built up and developed over the years - and as has been mentioned on this thread it's presently working better than ever.

Why fix something that ain't broke?

I could have sworn I posted on the new forum earlier on  :blink:

Yes you did. Congratulations, that was no mean feat!

Archived