The Failed Statelet vs Poland match thread

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't share in Neil Lennon's optimism ('we were overawed'; 'we underperformed'). Poland done everything better: movement, ball-control, speed - you name it. I suppose that much was to be expected, what with the number of players they have playing in top-flight leagues.

Northern Ireland will probably be remembered as fish out of water. Robbed of their home crowds, competing with better sides; a potentially fatal fixture just round the corner... I just can't see it going well for them.

Steve Davis and Lafferty saying post match that NI were caught a bit in the headlights by the occasion and never got going in a poor performance. So even the players themselves realise they weren't at their best yesterday.

As others say though, it's hard to see where NI can pick up points. Realisitically they have to hope Ukraine underestimate them on Thursday, along with a 10,000% improvement in their own performance.

Steve Davis and Lafferty saying post match that NI were caught a bit in the headlights by the occasion and never got going in a poor performance. So even the players themselves realise they weren't at their best yesterday.

As others say though, it's hard to see where NI can pick up points. Realisitically they have to hope Ukraine underestimate them on Thursday, along with a 10,000% improvement in their own performance.

That's been the general consensus all round from pundits, commentators, fans and players from what I've heard. Win or bust v Ukraine! Probably bust, which will please a lot of the contributors to this thread, so not all bad.

Yes, but the chances of securing three 0-0 draws in the group stage are fairly slim, after losing the first one 1-0.

:lol:

Hopefully Mannus gets a game, seeing as hes easily the best keeper available

He clearly is. Unfortunately he has made the decision to pull out of a couple of NI's recent squads, so McGovern and Carroll have priority over him. I'm sure that the vast majority of Scottish Premiership players would agree that Mannus is considerably better than McGovern (hence why he is generally listed above him in our national media's 'Best Goalkeeper' polls).

He is, its not even debateable. One has been part of one of the best defences in the Country for the past four years, and has kept clean sheets abroad. The others flopping about conceding easy goals at the bottom end of the same division. Its not even debateable, so I'm not going to bother debating it.

Hopefully Mannus gets a game, seeing as hes easily the best keeper available

He clearly is. Unfortunately he has made the decision to pull out of a couple of NI's recent squads, so McGovern and Carroll have priority over him. I'm sure that the vast majority of Scottish Premiership players would agree that Mannus is considerably better than McGovern (hence why he is generally listed above him in our national media's 'Best Goalkeeper' polls).

He is, its not even debateable. One has been part of one of the best defences in the Country for the past four years, and has kept clean sheets abroad. The others flopping about conceding easy goals at the bottom end of the same division. Its not even debateable, so I'm not going to bother debating it.

Yes? I haven't changed my mind. It doesn't take anything away from the fact that Michael McGovern had a great game against Germany.

What a load of shite that was

Was contemplating a 3 game 1-0 treble this morning of Croatia, Poland and Germany but didn't bother.

If Germany win 1-0 I'll top myself

Can someone check on Mr Tourette?

Archived