National Anthems - Best and Worst

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

France/Italy/RoI

Eng/NI

GSTQ really is a dirge. If we were in it, I'd also nominate FoS I'm sorry to say.

Don't know the others well enough, some may grow on me. Bit like Eurovision. Maybe we could combine the two competitions?

eta  was actually thinking about the other Irish one, for the rugby, but I'll leave it in until I hear a better one. 

France/Italy/RoI

Eng/NI

GTSQ really is a dirge. If we were in it, I'd also nominate FoS I'm sorry to say.

Don't know the others well enough, some may grow on me. Bit like Eurovision. Maybe we could combine the two competitions?

Guid idea but how would we qualify?

Best musically are France, Italy, Germany, Russia. The Wales one is very powerful too.

The Irish anthem was originally a military march sung by rebels in the Easter Rising, and was subsequently translated to Irish and became the national anthem. So when Celtic fans sing the "Soldier's Song" in English they're singing the original version - the ROI anthem is the Irish translation.

GSTQ is awful dirge, it really is. If I was one of the Irish lads on the NI team, I'd be sick to my stomach having to stand through that shit - I'd have zero motivation to play the game.

The French one is an absolute belter, despite some of the questionable lyrics.

Something about watering their fields with impure blood?

That's the last line "Marchons, Marchons! Qu'un sang impur abreuve nos silons!"

It's after the bit about ferocious soldiers marching under the bloody banner of tyranny into your midst to slit your children's throats so it's an understandable reaction.

That's the last line "Marchons, Marchons! Qu'un sang impur abreuve nos silons!"

It's after the bit about ferocious soldiers marching under the bloody banner of tyranny into your midst to slit your children's throats so it's an understandable reaction.

Ah! The good old days, when the French were more like the Russians.

Best musically are France, Italy, Germany, Russia. The Wales one is very powerful too.

The Irish anthem was originally a military march sung by rebels in the Easter Rising, and was subsequently translated to Irish and became the national anthem. So when Celtic fans sing the "Soldier's Song" in English they're singing the original version - the ROI anthem is the Irish translation.

GSTQ is awful dirge, it really is. If I was one of the Irish lads on the NI team, I'd be sick to my stomach having to stand through that shit - I'd have zero motivation to play the game.

It's a mid tempo waltz as opposed to a dirge. A dirge would be something like "Fields of Athenry" 

There are other waltzes Flower of Scotland, Land of My Fathers and the Star Spangled Banner are all in 3/4 time and the Austrians have a Waltz (obviously) but it is a relatively unusual choice most countries choose militaristic sounding marches.

Anyway the best two are la Marseillaise and the Welsh one.

They're like miniature 3 act operas while the rest of us have advertising jingles.

Archived