John Stones

I agree Yassin. He's such a talented footballer and would be lauded if he was in the Barcelona or Bayern first team, but because he's English and not a 'good ol' fashioned centre-half' they hate him trying to pass the ball.

You can actually hear the commentators fizzing as he beats a man twice, looks up and sees nobody within 30 yards and then plays it back to the 'keeper.

I agree Yassin. He's such a talented footballer and would be lauded if he was in the Barcelona or Bayern first team, but because he's English and not a 'good ol' fashioned centre-half' they hate him trying to pass the ball.

You can actually hear the commentators fizzing as he beats a man twice, looks up and sees nobody within 30 yards and then plays it back to the 'keeper.

Aye except he wouldn't get near the first team at either

This.

They used to call Puyol shite because of exactly that. The commentators just want a team of John Terry's.

He's a good footballer but not a good defender. What's the point in being able to play from the back if you can't do the basics?

This.  If he develops defensively, he could be a very important player for somebody, but right now the only way he'll play at a big side is if either has someone alongside him whose sole job it is to cover for him, or if he's at a club so good that he rarely has to defend.

Hypothetically, I don't think he'd be that bad at a team like Barcelona.  No way am I saying they'll sign him, or that he'd be good enough too, but that's the sort of side he'd look good at.  Unfortunately for him, he'll probably never reach that level, so unless he improves defensively he'll always be that guy who's good on the ball but little else.

I think he will be playing in the English Championship within 5 years. Extremely over rated player who was a big part of Evertons hopeless defensive record last season.

I think he will be playing in the English Championship within 5 years. Extremely over rated player who was a big part of Evertons hopeless defensive record last season.

Given your record, I presume he'll be #ballin for Real Madrid and have won a nobel prize, then.

Beckenbauer was arguably one of the best ever centre backs but was originally a very talented midfielder. Stones is in the same mould (although I'm not comparing him in the same class as Beckenbauer) and if he could have a solid centre half playing alongside him he could be very impressive.

He has the potential to be as good as Jonathan Woodgate, who Real Madrid thought was good enough to sign

Archived