Wimbledon and the grass court tennis season

lichtie23

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on now, you're well aware that it's a massively bloated figure due to the Indian sub-continent taking up the sport. It's practiced by a tiny fraction of the world's countries. Whereas tennis is competed globally by pretty much every continent. I don't have the figures to hand, but I'm willing to bet that well over 50% of the world countries has had a player in the top 100 of the singles at some point in history. Every continent has had a singles grand slam champion.

No, clearly not, there's a massive amount of technique involved in boxing; footwork, dodging, blocking etc. Everyone keeps defending all the apparent technique and skill that goes into cycling, yet no ones given a single example of it yet.

What does it matter how many countries play it? To be the best cricketer in the world you are competing against far more people.

Plus if you have talent you have a much better chance off getting to top.

Given the global reach and popularity criteria why are we even talking about any sport other than Football?

A lot more professional cricketers than professional tennis players or golfers I would imagine.

Had a look online which said there were 400 cricketers playing for the 1st class counties in England.

I doubt the tennis players ranked 300-400 are making a living from prize money.

I thoroughly enjoy cricket, but to compare it to Tennis is ridiculous in the extreme. To win all the Tennis Grand Slam events you have to be talented in all facets of the game. Different players in the average XI of a cricket team excel in different areas. There are hardly any cricketers who you would say are world class in all its disciplines. TBH we should really only be comparing "individual" sports in this debate. The mentality of an individual sportsman like a Tennis player and a member of a team can be massively different.

If Murray goes on to win the "career" slam, he'll be the greatest individual Scottish, indeed British sportsman of the "modern" era IMO

13 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

If Murray goes on to win the "career" slam, he'll be the greatest individual Scottish, indeed British sportsman of the "modern" era IMO

This has somehow reminded me of the World Tour Finals.  On here we always talk about the 4 Slams and the Olympics, but the WTF needs to be up there too in future discussions IMO.  We probably don't mention it as Murray has never been anywhere near winning it.  From the top of my head, every SF he's reached hes been soundly beaten.

This has somehow reminded me of the World Tour Finals.  On here we always talk about the 4 Slams and the Olympics, but the WTF needs to be up there too in future discussions IMO.  We probably don't mention it as Murray has never been anywhere near winning it.  From the top of my head, every SF he's reached hes been soundly beaten.

Why does it have to be up there ? The 4 slams and the Olympics are the only ones that matter.

I don't think it is that surprising. By the time that stage of the season comes round he's usually protecting his back or been injured. Last year he was clearly going through the motions saving himself for the Davis Cup.

I think he's had two very good showings. The rest have been pretty meh. Plus the court is so slow Novak's always going to win.

Rafa Nadal has won just about everything and hasn't managed a WTF win either. That's more surprising than Murray.

2 hours ago, AUFC90 said:

Why does it have to be up there ? The 4 slams and the Olympics are the only ones that matter.

I'd say its still pretty prestigious.

Four Grand Slams plus Olympic gold = Golden Slam.

Four Grand Slams, Olympic Gold and ATP Tour Finals = Super Slam.

Agassi is the only player to achieve the latter in men's singles.

No doubt Djokovic will be all guns blazing in the upcoming Olympics in order to achieve that as well.

I don't think it is that surprising. By the time that stage of the season comes round he's usually protecting his back or been injured. Last year he was clearly going through the motions saving himself for the Davis Cup.

I think he's had two very good showings. The rest have been pretty meh. Plus the court is so slow Novak's always going to win.

Rafa Nadal has won just about everything and hasn't managed a WTF win either. That's more surprising than Murray.

Yup. Historically Nadal should have been cleaning up on a slow court

4 hours ago, AUFC90 said:

No doubt Djokovic will be all guns blazing in the upcoming Olympics in order to achieve that as well.

Federer as well. There's a school of thought that he might retire on the spot if he wins gold.

Serbia v Great Britain in the davis cup this weekend

Friday

Edmund v Tipsarevic

Ward v Lajovic

Saturday

J.Murray & Inglot v Tipsarevic & Zimonjic

Sunday

Edmund v Lajovic

Ward v Tipsarevic

Federer as well. There's a school of thought that he might retire on the spot if he wins gold.

Serbia v Great Britain in the davis cup this weekend

Friday

Edmund v Tipsarevic

Ward v Lajovic

Saturday

J.Murray & Inglot v Tipsarevic & Zimonjic

Sunday

Edmund v Lajovic

Ward v Tipsarevic

Federer simply can't win over 5 sets on hard court. He can't beat Djokovic and he most likely can't beat Murray.

1 hour ago, Mr Bairn said:

Aye yours :lol:

Archived