Wimbledon and the grass court tennis season

lichtie23

'I woke up this morning and played video games. Is it the best preparation for a match? Probably not but I had fun'

I like Nick, people seem to get really, really wound up by him. Nobody gets to this level of any professional sport because of 'luck'. He's extremely talented and is just in desperate need of someone to come in and sort his head out and give him a game plan. The number of net points he lost today says it all. Must have been under 15% and he just kept going for it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vesely goes on to win the tiebreaker and levels the match at 2-2 and they stop for the night, despite calls to move it to centre and play the final set under the roof

Monfils v Simon was moved to the cente so it could get finished last year so why not this match.

I'd rather all the top players stay in it so Murray can skelp them all. Then there won't be any discrediting the achievement if he goes on to win it with no Nole to play.

I'd rather all the top players stay in it so Murray can skelp them all. Then there won't be any discrediting the achievement if he goes on to win it with no Nole to play.

f**k that. The sooner Federer gets horsed out the better. Don't care how he wins it as long as his name is on the trophy.

Yep, Murray needs as 'easy' as draw as possible IMO, which is to avoid Federer. Just like every other tennis player on the planet would.

Berdych? Murray knows exactly how to play Berdych. Berdych hasn't looked like being capable of beating him for a long time. Murray has totally turned around that head to head.

I'm with GiGi I want all the best players to stay in. If he gets past Tsonga he is going to play one of Vesely/Berdych/Pouille in the semi final. Playing someone of the quality of Berdych immediately before the final will only serve him well. Schedule him first and then hope the other has an epic semi final.

Murray has had to play either Federer or Djokovic in all of his Grand Slam finals. I don't think anyone other than slavering morons would begrudge him getting an easier route to a major for once.

Murray has had to play either Federer or Djokovic in all of his Grand Slam finals. I don't think anyone other than slavering morons would begrudge him getting an easier route to a major for once.

Exactly. Djokovic, Nadal and Federer have all had easy finals, Murray has surely earned one

Exactly. Djokovic, Nadal and Federer have all had easy finals, Murray has surely earned one

Even then it's still not easy. Even if Federer goes out he'll probably face Raonic or Cilic if he makes the final. Hardly a cakewalk compared to some of the jobbers Federer and Nadal had to face in their first finals.

I wouldn't class them as jobbers as such, maybe Puerta (Nadal - French 2005) and Gonzalez (Federer - Australian 2007) but definitely not the likes of Hewitt, Agassi or Roddick.

I know what you mean though, Agassi was about 55 when he faced Federer in 2005, and Hewitt and Roddick aren't in the same league as the Federer and Djokovic that Murray always plays in the final.

Did Soderling not beat one of them in a final

No he beat Nadal in the 4th round of the French in 2009 and lost to Federer in the final in straight sets.

Really important tournament for Murray and Federer. Murray hoping to get rid of those last lingering doubters that say he's 'just' a Wawrinka, Hewitt type level player with a couple of lucky slams. Fed hoping to keep Djokovic at arm's length in the GOAT argument.

I wouldn't class them as jobbers as such, maybe Puerta (Nadal - French 2005) and Gonzalez (Federer - Australian 2007) but definitely not the likes of Hewitt, Agassi or Roddick.

I know what you mean though, Agassi was about 55 when he faced Federer in 2005, and Hewitt and Roddick aren't in the same league as the Federer and Djokovic that Murray always plays in the final.

It certainly wouldn't be begrudged but it would certainly be a bit more special seeing him take apart Federer on centre court in the final of Wimbledon.  If Murray and Federer both get that far.  Murray will win.

I would add Baghdatis and Phillippoussis to the Federer jobbers list. For Nadal you can add Berdych and Ferrer.

Really important tournament for Murray and Federer. Murray hoping to get rid of those last lingering doubters that say he's 'just' a Wawrinka, Hewitt type level player with a couple of lucky slams. Fed hoping to keep Djokovic at arm's length in the GOAT argument.

Agreed.  One minor point though, Wawrinka himself has already stated Murray is a level above him in what he's achieved and the consistency he's shown over the last decade.  Stan's been good for about 2 years, Murray 5 times that.

Archived