Wimbledon and the grass court tennis season

lichtie23

Wimbledon starts on the 27th of June but before that there is 3 weeks of grass court tennis from all over Europe.

This week:

Mercedes Open, Stuttgart (ATP)

Ricoh Open, S-Hertogenbosch (ATP/WTA)

Aegon Open, Nottingham (WTA)

June 13-19

Aegon Championship, Queens Club (ATP)

Gerry Webber Open, Halle (ATP)

Aegon Classic, Birmingham (WTA)

Mallorca Open, Mallorca (WTA)

June 20-25

Aegon Open, Nottingham (ATP)

Aegon International, Eastbourne (WTA)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Andy, I'll go for him winning a 5th Queens title to become the leader in singles titles there.  And a disappointing SF defeat at Wimbledon, with him then winning the US Open again.  Which I'm aware isn't in this part of the season but I'll add it in anyway.

Really looking forward to Queen's and then Wimbledon. Hopefully some jobber can put in a David versus Goliath performance against Djokovic early doors, pap him out and actually give Murray an easier ride for a change.

For Andy, I'll go for him winning a 5th Queens title to become the leader in singles titles there. And a disappointing SF defeat at Wimbledon, with him then winning the US Open again. Which I'm aware isn't in this part of the season but I'll add it in anyway.

Like the Australian Open and French Open, I can see him reaching the final at Wimbledon, the Olympics, US Open and World Tour Finals, only to succumb to his nemesis in all of them. :(

The sooner the BBC are forced into losing the rights to Wimbledon the better, Sue Barker & Co. probably couldn't have told you who Dominic Thiem was until last Thursday, and they probably think Nick Kyrgios is a good player. They also put far too much emphasis on the women's game.

The sooner the BBC are forced into losing the rights to Wimbledon the better, Sue Barker & Co. probably couldn't have told you who Dominic Thiem was until last Thursday, and they probably think Nick Kyrgios is a good player. They also put far too much emphasis on the women's game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Eurosport's coverage of the French Open

Andy Murray will face Nicolas Mahut in the Aegon Championships 1st round at Queen's Club on Monday.

Murray could potentially meet Aljaz Bedene (vs Benoit Paire) in the 2nd round.

Other Brits

Daniel Evans vs Paul-Henri Mathieu

Kyle Edmund vs Gilles Simon

Winners of the above games will play each other in the 2nd round then potentially play Murray in the Quarter Finals.

James Ward vs Gilles Muller

Over in Stuttgart Dominic Thiem keep his good form going beating Roger Federer in the Semi Final in 3 sets and he plays Philipp Kohlschreiber in the final.

if they lose Wimbledon it will go to ITV, channel 4 or channel 5 as both finals have to be on free to air channels. With the rest of tge tournament has to have extended highlights and delayed broadcast of the games on free to air channels

Murray is confirmed to be the number two seed at Wimbledon now that Thiem papped Federer out.

I think the BBC get a hard time over their Wimbledon coverage. They have to cater to an audience that will mostly only watch two weeks of tennis a year.  Their red button service to watch any court you like is superb.  I dare say Sue Barker knows more about tennis than most people on here but again they cater to their audience.  John Inverdale shouldn't be anywhere near coverage, and Andrew Castle is terrible as well.  But in Castle's favour is he is very good for a casual fan.

As for the BBC concentrating too much on the Women's game, it is a joint tournament.  The main coverage is split pretty fairly between the two, but beyond that they show more of the men's game than the women's.  Heather Watson Vs "Queen" Serena last year was one of the matches of the tournament.

I would love to see another Murray Djokovic grass match.  In the final even better.  The two slams that Murray did win against Djokovic the crowd was fully behind him in both.  Djokovic can get quite frustrated and flustered when a big crowd is against him.

I hope Thiem doesn't become too much of a threat until Murray decides to call it a day, which hopefully isn't for at least another three or four years yet.

Murray is confirmed to be the number two seed at Wimbledon now that Thiem papped Federer out.

I think the BBC get a hard time over their Wimbledon coverage. They have to cater to an audience that will mostly only watch two weeks of tennis a year. Their red button service to watch any court you like is superb. I dare say Sue Barker knows more about tennis than most people on here but again they cater to their audience. John Inverdale shouldn't be anywhere near coverage, and Andrew Castle is terrible as well. But in Castle's favour is he is very good for a casual fan.

As for the BBC concentrating too much on the Women's game, it is a joint tournament. The main coverage is split pretty fairly between the two, but beyond that they show more of the men's game than the women's. Heather Watson Vs "Queen" Serena last year was one of the matches of the tournament.

I would love to see another Murray Djokovic grass match. In the final even better. The two slams that Murray did win against Djokovic the crowd was fully behind him in both. Djokovic can get quite frustrated and flustered when a big crowd is against him.

I agree about the coverage. People need to remember that Wimbledon caters to a totally different audience than all other tennis coverage in Britain, you have literally millions of people watching who wont watch a minute of tennis for the other 50 weeks a year, maybe nowadays bar the odd Grand Slam final that Murray reaches. They usually get a good mix, for example Andrew Castle is good at talking about the trivial stuff like players' partners or whatever which casual fans are interested in, so as long as you team him up with a couple of people who know their stuff then he's fine. Also when you have that much coverage you require a huge number of presenters, reporters and commentators so the quality of them gets diluted.

Why did they 'split' originally again?

It was time issue.  Murray wanted a full time coach and Lendl wanted to carry on but on a part time basis for the bigger tournaments.  I dare say that one of them has compromised on the time, I would think it would be Murray to be honest.

A very good appointment and I thought he would be back.  Hopefully has an immediate impact at Wimbledon.

Guest Flash

It was time issue.  Murray wanted a full time coach and Lendl wanted to carry on but on a part time basis for the bigger tournaments.  I dare say that one of them has compromised on the time, I would think it would be Murray to be honest.

A very good appointment and I thought he would be back.  Hopefully has an immediate impact at Wimbledon.

Do you think the parting was maybe partly because Lendl knew Murray would take a while to recover from the back surgery and he either didn't want to be associated with that period in Murray's career or felt that there wasn't anything he could do to help Murray to be any better during that period anyway?

As you say, a very good appointment. Apart from the technical advice he adds, Murray also tended to do less ranting at the box when Lendl was there.

Do you think the parting was maybe partly because Lendl knew Murray would take a while to recover from the back surgery and he either didn't want to be associated with that period in Murray's career or felt that there wasn't anything he could do to help Murray to be any better during that period anyway?

As you say, a very good appointment. Apart from the technical advice he adds, Murray also tended to do less ranting at the box when Lendl was there.

In short, no.

Archived