The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Hitting form at right time. Was always going to be tight. Only takes a couple of bad results and things change quickly. Some result today. To take 10 off any team at this level is some going. Just hope that us going out the cup today could be blessing in disguise to let us focus on league.

Hitting form at right time. Was always going to be tight. Only takes a couple of bad results and things change quickly. Some result today. To take 10 off any team at this level is some going. Just hope that us going out the cup today could be blessing in disguise to let us focus on league.

Halfway stage EK are still strong favourites Shire have to just keep winning well and hope that they start to feel the pressure. You also have to remember that even if it does come down to a last game showdown the Shire always find a way to lose the games that really matter.

Not necessarily down to a 2-horse race yet... but with both teams now on 15 games played from 30, the second half of their seasons:

|    East Kilb.     |    East Stir.     |

|                   |                   |

Dec 07   |   Edin Univ (A)   |                   |   (EOSQC R3)
Dec 10   |   Whitehill (H)   |   Civil SS  (H)   |

Dec 17   |   Hawick    (A)   |   Vale o L  (A)   |

Dec 24   |   =============   |   =============   |

Dec 31   |   Cumbern’d (H)   |   BSC Glas. (A)   |

Jan 07   |   Gretna    (H)   |   Edin Univ (H)   |

Jan 14   |   Dalbeatt. (A)   |   Stir Univ (A)   |
Jan 21   |                   |                   |  
(EOSQC SF)

Jan 28   |   no game         |   Spartans  (H)   |

Feb 04   |   Selkirk   (A)   |   Preston   (A)   |

Feb 11   |   Preston   (H)   |   Gretna    (A)   |

Feb 18   |   Edin Univ (H)   |   Whitehill (H)   |

Feb 25   |   Stir Univ (H)   |   Gala      (H)   |

Mar 04   |   BSC Glas. (A)   |   Cumbern’d (A)   |

Mar 11   |   not drawn (?)   |   not drawn (?)   |   (SCC R4)

Mar 18   |                   |                   |   (EOSQC Fin)

Mar 25   |   Civil SS  (A)   |   Hawick    (A)   |

Apr 01   |                   |                   |
Apr 08   |                   |                   |  
(SCC SF)

Apr 15   |   Spartans  (H)   |   Dalbeatt. (A)   |

Apr 22   |   East Stir (A)   |   East Kilb (H)   |
         |                   |                   |

|                   |                   |

undated  |   Gala      (A)   |   Edin Univ (A)   |

|   Hawick    (H)   |                   |

Edited by HibeeJibee

Halfway stage EK are still strong favourites Shire have to just keep winning well and hope that they start to feel the pressure. You also have to remember that even if it does come down to a last game showdown the Shire always find a way to lose the games that really matter.

Things are hotting up. We are on the back of a couple of defeats now. Next game for us is a big one. Need to get back to winning ways. Bring it on. This is what its all about. Going to be a close run in. Just hope spartans, w/w, dalbeattie, and stirling can make things as difficult for yous and sneak a few points. All good for the league. Result today shows u that the top 4 or 5 teams could really hold there own in the top leagues in my opinion. Gap isnt that big.

7 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:

Things are hotting up. We are on the back of a couple of defeats now. Next game for us is a big one. Need to get back to winning ways. Bring it on. This is what its all about. Going to be a close run in. Just hope spartans, w/w, dalbeattie, and stirling can make things as difficult for yous and sneak a few points. All good for the league. Result today shows u that the top 4 or 5 teams could really hold there own in the top leagues in my opinion. Gap isnt that big.

As I said a few weeks ago after the end of your run it would be interesting how EK react. Makes an interesting 2nd half of the season.

The Hobbits have needed a miracle to get back in the race proper, and they've got their miracle - now it's all down to who is going to hold their nerve.

Well done to those in charge for taking victory with such immense good grace, as per their Twitter thread:

Perfect timing too, coming on the day Edinburgh City finally got off the bottom of the SPFL & indeed jumped up above two other sides (including Montrose, who have stood on the trapdoor more times than John Babbacombe Lee) to prove coming up from the Lowlands isn't the step too high the naysayers sneered.

Very poor performance all round from Gala today! While the club was fund raising it was the team who dished out the charity and were not helped by the keepers mannequin challenge participation! We seem to go from huge wins to huge defeats with no consistency in team line ups, just hope we can pick ourselves up after this one and maybe bring in a few more players! Well done Shire! 

5 hours ago, Shirey Pirey said:

wonder how long it's been since the shire scored 10

9/9/1950   11-1 v Burntisland Shipyard (h) Scottish Qualifying Cup.

Boy are the Shire currently keeping me busy every weekend recently looking into club records. It is a very good thing ! Will post a few record updates on my twitter later. Though straight off the last time Shire have scored 10 or more goals away was 25/10/1890 v Camelon when we won a Scottish Cup 3rd Round Replay 10-6. Also this is only the 2nd competitive away we have scored 10 or more goals in our history, the other was our club record 17-0 win v Carron in the Shire Cup in 1884/85 (note there were also 2 neutral venue games around that time when we went double figures). Hattricks or more from Shire players in the last four games equalling the known club record (possibly their is a longer run in 1889 of 6 games but I have yet to absolutely confirm all the goalscorers as they are aren't all recorded in the newspapers of the day).

The result today equalled the record away margin of victory for the Lowland League and Shire are the 1st team to score 10 away from home in the Lowland League. Given the weather at the start of the game I really thought it would take a turn for the worst and be abandoned. After 30 years of watching the Shire I am so glad the fog didn't get worse in the 2nd half.

Not so long along we lost 1-9 away to Stirling Albion so huge respect for GFR officials taking the time to talk to us in their social club after the game. I know how low I felt after that result. Also glad they made a decent sum for their charities.

Edited by Dead

20 minutes ago, Dead said:

The result today equalled the record away margin of victory for the Lowland League and Shire are the 1st team to score 10 away from home in the Lowland League. Given the weather at the start of the game I really thought it would take a turn for the worst and be abandoned. After 30 years of watching the Shire I am so glad the fog didn't get worse in the 2nd half.

Indeed, is it not the outright record away win and the joint record win home or away (alongside Spartans 11-2 Selkirk in 2013-14)?

Yes indeedy ! Meant to say that but well didn't :)

Feeling reasonably sober for the amount of beer I have had today but obvious not as on the form as I thought I was.

Was just updating my Shire stats and see Granty has now scored 22 league goals in his 15 league apps this season and Andy Rodgers 14 league goals in his 14 apps (13 plus 1 sub app). Some scoring.

Very poor performance all round from Gala today! While the club was fund raising it was the team who dished out the charity and were not helped by the keepers mannequin challenge participation! We seem to go from huge wins to huge defeats with no consistency in team line ups, just hope we can pick ourselves up after this one and maybe bring in a few more players! Well done Shire! 

Must admit walked into your club an hour before kick off and your players were all lounging about watching the Celtic game and I passed comment to the barman that they didn't look like a team hungry for a game of football, 1 hour And 24 mins later they were 5 down.