The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

1 hour ago, Boaby Fisher said:

Very pleased with the win today. Puts us up to 4th when you ignore the Colts. Any of you lads go, how did they look?

Good game, great result, both teams really went for it and, while it was a bit touch and go at times, Shire showed a lot of spirit to score in the last after Berwick leveled around 70 mins. Although he didn't keep a clean sheet I thought Connelly was great, made a brilliant save from a free kick not long after we scored the second and was out to collect every cross. Dean Watson and Connor Greene were also particularly good imo, although there wasn't really a bad performance in there.

Overall this season, while they maybe don't have the skill or experience of previous squads, this is the most I've enjoyed watching Shire play since the first two seasons in the LL. There's a real fight and desire about them, and I'd rather than watch that and be genuinely beaten by better teams, than go between scudding a terrible Gretna side 9-1 and then give up whenever the going gets tough. Hopefully we can keep the bulk of this squad together for next season, although I'd be surprised if Offord at least isn't on loan at a higher tier. 

Hopefully we can keep the good vibes going into the cup next week. 

That was a thoroughly enjoyable game yesterday. Both teams really went for it and looked like it meant a lot for all the players on the park as shown by both teams celebrations for the goals. First half I thought we were in control, Offord having a good few chances from balls over the top, which was an effective tactic giving the mobility of the Berwick centre half’s. 

second half however we didn’t turn up for the first 20 mins, we could not get the ball out of our half but Berwick never created anything meaningful. Fulton, Greene and Connolly dealt with everything that was chucked into the box. We then grew into the game and after Watson put a header wide Berwick went up the park and after winning a 50/50 their player slotted home. At this point Berwick had the ascendency and I said to my brother that there looked to be only one winner. However they just emptied when they got the goal and when we actually played football again we ripped them apart at times, we had a good few chances to get the goal. Mainly Offords chip when he just had to hit the target to score. The goal came in the last minute as Turners backheel flick sent Offord through and he rounded the keeper and decided to run the ball towards goal before smashing it past their defender on the line. Great scenes on the pitch and in the stands when it went in. It’s up there with one of my favourite shire goals tbh. There was still time for Ross Connolly to pull off a brilliant save to secure the win and get us 6th place.

A great achievement for this young team to get the last Challenge Cup spot and a great end to the league season. I thought we’d be 7th-10th so to get 6th considering our budget and inexperience is brilliant stuff. 

Now all eyes turn to the Lowland League Cup and let’s be honest we are never going to get a better chance of making the final/winning it. Making the final would be another great achievement but Caley Brave and Bo Ness or the Uni will be tough challenges. 

Also commiserations to Berwick on missing out on top 6. They brought a healthy crowd who made a decent atmosphere. That game wouldn’t of had as much tension if we were playing against one of the joke clubs like Caley or BSC. Who knows, might be a rematch in the Cup final.

10 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

That was a thoroughly enjoyable game yesterday. Both teams really went for it and looked like it meant a lot for all the players on the park as shown by both teams celebrations for the goals. First half I thought we were in control, Offord having a good few chances from balls over the top, which was an effective tactic giving the mobility of the Berwick centre half’s. 

second half however we didn’t turn up for the first 20 mins, we could not get the ball out of our half but Berwick never created anything meaningful. Fulton, Greene and Connolly dealt with everything that was chucked into the box. We then grew into the game and after Watson put a header wide Berwick went up the park and after winning a 50/50 their player slotted home. At this point Berwick had the ascendency and I said to my brother that there looked to be only one winner. However they just emptied when they got the goal and when we actually played football again we ripped them apart at times, we had a good few chances to get the goal. Mainly Offords chip when he just had to hit the target to score. The goal came in the last minute as Turners backheel flick sent Offord through and he rounded the keeper and decided to run the ball towards goal before smashing it past their defender on the line. Great scenes on the pitch and in the stands when it went in. It’s up there with one of my favourite shire goals tbh. There was still time for Ross Connolly to pull off a brilliant save to secure the win and get us 6th place.

A great achievement for this young team to get the last Challenge Cup spot and a great end to the league season. I thought we’d be 7th-10th so to get 6th considering our budget and inexperience is brilliant stuff. 

Now all eyes turn to the Lowland League Cup and let’s be honest we are never going to get a better chance of making the final/winning it. Making the final would be another great achievement but Caley Brave and Bo Ness or the Uni will be tough challenges. 

Also commiserations to Berwick on missing out on top 6. They brought a healthy crowd who made a decent atmosphere. That game wouldn’t of had as much tension if we were playing against one of the joke clubs like Caley or BSC. Who knows, might be a rematch in the Cup final.

Out of interest what qualifies you as a joke club?

2 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

Pretty much everything Caley Braves are

Probably unfair, teams like that put in the same effort to get and maintain their license etc. Just because they are still establishing themselves shouldn’t make them a joke.

1 hour ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Probably unfair, teams like that put in the same effort to get and maintain their license etc. Just because they are still establishing themselves shouldn’t make them a joke.

If anyone can explain the continued existence of Broomhill as anything other than a weird vanity project or money laundering i'd be laughing. Does that qualify them as a joke club?

1 hour ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I defended these clubs a lot in the initial years, fully behind that mindset, everyone has to start somewhere etc and I’m still that way inclined.

But the actions of some clubs over the last few years has been nothing short of an absolute disgrace, they have now earned their joke club status.

Edited by parsforlife

40 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If anyone can explain the continued existence of Broomhill as anything other than a weird vanity project or money laundering i'd be laughing. Does that qualify them as a joke club?

Not really, they have been relatively successful since they came into the league from what I have seen? I’m not sure if you know much about money laundering or the mechanism for it, but LL is not the place to do it 😂😂

10 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Not really, they have been relatively successful since they came into the league from what I have seen? I’m not sure if you know much about money laundering or the mechanism for it, but LL is not the place to do it 😂😂

Dirty money comes in as say sponsorship comes out clean in agent's fees. As an example it's not like they're paying those player salaries from gate receipts.

Certiainly not like they've had any links to anyone with a dodgy past.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/david-moyes-brother-banned-being-11344317

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Dirty money comes in as say sponsorship comes out clean in agent's fees. As an example it's not like they're paying those player salaries from gate receipts.

Certiainly not like they've had any links to anyone with a dodgy past.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/david-moyes-brother-banned-being-11344317

Agents fees….Lowland League?? I’ve heard it all now 😂😂😂

Anyway, we are hijacking the Shire thread with our nonsense, I’m away to prepare for Darvel v Talbot tomorrow night. 

Edited by Pyramid Watcher

On 17/04/2022 at 18:33, bravehearts dad said:

Them clubs that vote to admit guest clubs into the LL and against increasing relegation from the LL.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Hey did these joke clubs vol.broomhill.gretna.both uni's cumb colts.css. not vote to extend the application date so bonnyrigg who won the eos league could make the licence deadline to be promoted.they also voted not to cancel the lower pyramid play offs which in turn allowed boness to be promoted the spfl stopped kelty's and brechin.