The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

On 28/06/2019 at 18:32, craigiemack said:

This isn’t a diddy league anymore, there’s 5/6 teams that would easily hold their own in the League 2 or maybe even League 1. 

Posts like this get on my tits.

When was it ever a diddy league,yous are still in it after how many seasons now !!

20 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Posts like this get on my tits.

When was it ever a diddy league,yous are still in it after how many seasons now !!

What it should maybe say is, "It's not PERCEIVED to be a diddy league anymore". 

It never was a diddy league but to the masses, that's how it's seen. I still have to explain to, so called, fitba fans, what league we play in and what teams we play. It usually ends with "you know that league that Edinburgh City came from?" and that usually gets a glimmer of recognition. 

The league's profile is growing gradually and this season it's going to be even more so as, hopefully, we see Lowland and EOS sides having decent Scottish Cup runs. 

Given that in our first season down, we lost a game 7-4 and won games 8-3 and 10-1, you can't blame some folk for dismissing the standard. 

I get the perception from outwith, particularly spfl fans and more regularly junior fans. However the old eos league was a very good senior league. The LL has always been a good league, with a number of strong sides but people form a perception or opinion of it without either a) knowing anything about it, b) having even been to a game and c) going by what their circle of fan friends say about it..... Or in most cases all of the above.

Dropping was seen as the demise of East stirling (and now Berwick) but for me the shire are in a much stronger position now as a club than they were 5 years ago and they are playing in the 'lower league'.

I see Liam Allison spent time at Shire. He played the first half for us yesterday as a trialist at left-back but looked very out his depth and awkward out there. Just wondering if that was his natural position?

He did play there for us although probably more often left midfield and is good for the odd goal. Always played higher up the pitch anytime I saw him with Camelon. 

Spent most of last season out injured and only returned for the last couple of games. 

1 hour ago, C. Muir said:

I see Liam Allison spent time at Shire. He played the first half for us yesterday as a trialist at left-back but looked very out his depth and awkward out there. Just wondering if that was his natural position?

Who were your other trialists i seen you had a few out

11 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Who were your other trialists i seen you had a few out

Craig Howie centre half from East Kilbride and Callum Robertson winger/striker from Whitburn started along with Allison. Can't remember the subs but 2 of them were from our 2003s team.

6 hours ago, C. Muir said:

As said above, he seemed better suited to further up the pitch, but is fairly versatile. tbqh I wouldn't have thought he would make the jump up to League 1, but absolute best of the luck to the guy if he does sign with yous. Unlucky with injuries over the past couple of season, we definitely could have used him in the team 

Nice article in the FH today about Ernie Collumbine, former Shire, Stenny and Bo'ness player who is credited as being one of the first sweepers in Scotland, as part of a 4-2-4 formation

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/ernie-collumbine-shire-player-who-played-revolutionary-role-in-the-game-1-4955323

The tactic also had a lasting impact on then-Hibernian boss Jock Stein, who adopted the formation at Celtic – after seeing East Stirlingshire in action – and led them to European Cup glory in 1967.

Directly responsible for the European Cup win as well

7 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

With the squads each team has right now Shire, Kelty, EK and BSC would easily. Bonnyrigg and Spartans would be mid to bottom half.

Easy to say. I've no doubt most of the team's you mentioned would do OK in League 2 if they were promoted. Kelty especially with the squad they have on paper. I seriously doubt all four of those first teams would be looking at doing better than mid table. And I don't think any League one sides would be looking very enviously at many or any players from those clubs bar a handful of the 'bigger' signings at kelty.

First time this season I seen the team tonight and wasn’t that impressed. Maybe fitness was an issue and also missing a couple players but definitely need to improve on that before the start of the season or BSC will be giving us a shock come first game in the league

First time this season I seen the team tonight and wasn’t that impressed. Maybe fitness was an issue and also missing a couple players but definitely need to improve on that before the start of the season or BSC will be giving us a shock come first game in the league

BSC beating shire on opening day would be far from a ‘shock’.

Quite a number of players making their first appearance last night, while others who featured in the previous two games were missing. 

All about building up match fitness at this stage. Thought it was a decent game. Remember, Camelon are a strong team. I saw them last season against Bonnyrigg and Kelty, more than matching them. 

Be great to see the Shire team once we have the full squad together. 

1 hour ago, surely not! said:

BSC beating shire on opening day would be far from a ‘shock’.

Don't think he said it would be a "shock" result, he indicated that they would be giving us a shock, as in a wake up call. 

Two totally different meanings.