The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

11 minutes ago, come on shire said:

The league is the most important thing and we're progressing well so far.  No reason why we can't be in the mix come the end of the season though Stirling Uni, Spartans and EK are very good sides for this level.

There's a few good sides at this level though I think there is a gulf between SPFL 2 and LL. 

With your recruits the only thing that will stop yous winning the League  is teams raising their game. 

You will be the team everyone wants to beat in this league imo especially from where you've came from  ? 

22 hours ago, PRS said:

Took in the match yesterday and was impressed by the shire and their passing game, particularly in the first half. Thought Ross Fisher was commanding at the back, Derek Ure - some great passes, Graeme McGregor covered a lot of ground in mid field, David Grant a class act and Jamie Glasgow was dangerous throughout.  The game was over by half time and the second half fairly non eventful. Have to factor in that this was Penicuiks first match of the season, but the Shire could be in for a good season based on this.  I hope so.

The best team won but Penicuik were terrible and as you say was their first game and half the team was on holiday. Don't think it tells you to much about what will happen this season. I do agree the lad Grant is a very good player.

The League Cup games vs Rangers, Motherwell, Annan and Stranraer and the Challenge Cup game vs Monty will be very difficult.  They're all SPFL opposition after all.  We'll hopefully be realistic and treat these games as friendlies and just try to keep the score respectable.

I think you can write off the Motherwell and Rangers game, but I'd like to think that we'd give Stranraer a good game tomorrow.

You've seen who Montrose and Annan have recruited and I fancy us to pick up at least 1 win from the 2 games. It's a long way for Montrose to travel midweek too!

Newcastle Broon is spot on, there is a gulf between SPFL2 and LL, but the pyramid system could benefit LL clubs and start to close that gap.

I have a massive fear that Christian Nade is going to tear us to pieces, Stranraer have signed well over the summer so I think we'll just need to contain them as well as we can. Although I hope it doesn't happen it might be interesting to see how the team reacts to going a couple of goals down as we've just folded the past couple of seasons, wonder if a shire team will finally show some heart

Decent performance against Stranraer, which suggests that Shire will be a strong contender for the Lowland League title. But if successful,  will they play  at Ochilview in 2017/18, as there is a rumour that Shire's lease will expire at the end of next season. Does anyone know if this is true ? Is Little Kerse likely to be ready (and licensed) in time ?

Decent performance against Stranraer, which suggests that Shire will be a strong contender for the Lowland League title. But if successful,  will they play  at Ochilview in 2017/18, as there is a rumour that Shire's lease will expire at the end of next season. Does anyone know if this is true ? Is Little Kerse likely to be ready (and licensed) in time ?

The original lease was only meant to last for 5 years. I think it's now just rolling and we have to give notice by a certain date if we leave. Little Kerse won't be ready for some time, the plans have been approved for years and nothing has went ahead.

Onto the game tonight, brilliant performance and the 3-1 scoreline completely flatters Stranraer. We put up a good fight and the fact that their keeper got MOTM shows that we didnt just have one or two chances. We battered them at the start of the second half and got suckerpunched right at the end.
The 3rd goal was an absolute peach and we were even applauding the lad who scored.

Based on what I've seen it's going to take a really good performance from a team in the LL to beat us, I just hope the boys can maintain the energy over the whole season.

Also worth pointing out the emotions of the players last night. I can't recall is scoring a goal where everyone in the team is bombing down to celebrate together or when we lost a goal and the players look gutted. If they keep showing that desire and togetherness then we'll be very hard to beat next season

15 hours ago, Robert James said:

Was said by the club in the Herald that Shire had to give a years notice to quit Ochilview. More chance of me winning the lottery than Little Kerse being significantly upgraded for the Shire (and Falkirk Juniors who were also going to be playing there)

39 minutes ago, cfor56 said:

Have you seen the Shire fixture on BBC Sport website.
Saturday 30th July
Edinburgh University vs East Stirlingshire Clydebank postponed?!!

Obvs this isn't our name ..we are playing annan in the cup on this day instead.

Obvs this isn't our name ..we are playing annan in the cup on this day instead.

Are you saying there is a current team playing under this name as I can't find it? Maybe the Steedmans are back.

And there was me looking for a conspiracy theory. "No big deal", I remember what happened then and have been traumatised! It's a strange mistake though to use a name from 50 years ago.

If we were 'the rangers' then it would've caused a twitter storm and made the front page of the sun. Most people call us by the incorrect name (East Stirling) anyway.

And there was me looking for a conspiracy theory. "No big deal", I remember what happened then and have been traumatised! It's a strange mistake though to use a name from 50 years ago.

You remember he haw as it was ES Clydebank