The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Was never a huge fan of Del as manager but obviously he’s a club legend and has put an incredible amount of time and effort into the club to keep us going so for that fair play. 

Ure was manager for some of my favourite ever days as a Shire fan, namely..

Huntly 1-4 Shire, Scottish Cup 

Civil Service 3-4 Shire, two last min goals

Shire 5-1 Lithgae Rose, SCC annihilation 

Spartans 1-2 Shire, LL Cup Semi Final

Dalbeattie 1-3 Shire, a personal favourite

Shire 2-1 Berwick, Offords Challenge Cup securing goal.

So for those days and the memories he gave me, thank you Derek and good luck in the future 👍

The club must now get a new manager in place. The problems at the club run much deeper than the manager but getting an exciting product on the park is the only way we can entice people back. All I ask is that we employ someone that has no connection to the Shire, if we do, which I am 99.9% sure we will I honestly just give up.

The full club has a losers mentality, accepting mediocrity is the shires core value. We need someone to come in and completely change the mindset of the club. If we don’t then it’ll just be the same of excuses and players getting away with murder. 

5 hours ago, craigiemack said:

Was never a huge fan of Del as manager but obviously he’s a club legend and has put an incredible amount of time and effort into the club to keep us going so for that fair play. 

Ure was manager for some of my favourite ever days as a Shire fan, namely..

Huntly 1-4 Shire, Scottish Cup 

Civil Service 3-4 Shire, two last min goals

Shire 5-1 Lithgae Rose, SCC annihilation 

Spartans 1-2 Shire, LL Cup Semi Final

Dalbeattie 1-3 Shire, a personal favourite

Shire 2-1 Berwick, Offords Challenge Cup securing goal.

So for those days and the memories he gave me, thank you Derek and good luck in the future 👍

The club must now get a new manager in place. The problems at the club run much deeper than the manager but getting an exciting product on the park is the only way we can entice people back. All I ask is that we employ someone that has no connection to the Shire, if we do, which I am 99.9% sure we will I honestly just give up.

The full club has a losers mentality, accepting mediocrity is the shires core value. We need someone to come in and completely change the mindset of the club. If we don’t then it’ll just be the same of excuses and players getting away with murder. 

Be Andy shirra then 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

I am largely positive about that appointment, I also assumed it would be someone connected with the club. 

The main caveat being how long he has gone without managing, his last management job was before a few of our squad were probably born. But I think he's stayed involved in football as a coach, so hopefully shouldn't be much of an issue.

Count me as optimistic and intrigued!

Edited by AlansHotBath

On 26/11/2022 at 10:43, AlansHotBath said:

I am largely positive about that appointment, I also assumed it would be someone connected with the club. 

The main caveat being how long he has gone without managing, his last management job was before a few of our squad were probably born. But I think he's stayed involved in football as a coach, so hopefully shouldn't be much of an issue.

Count me as optimistic and intrigued!

Pretty sure he hasn’t managed since a brief spell at Berwick back in 2004/05.

Pretty much been Jimmy Calderwood’s No2 before Allan Johnston’s resident side kick.

10 hours ago, iveajimmyboneon said:

Pretty sure he hasn’t managed since a brief spell at Berwick back in 2004/05.

Pretty much been Jimmy Calderwood’s No2 before Allan Johnston’s resident side kick.

Berwick were his last club as manager after that he was Calderwood’s number 3 before hooking up with Johnston.

• 1 month later...

WATCHED HIGHLIGHTS ON SHIRE TV. SHIRE PENALTY KEEPER RUNS OUT & CLATTERS THE SHIRE ATTACKER IN THE BACK WITH THE WHOLE OF HIS SHOULDER WITH NO ATTEMPT TO HEAD OR CATCH/PUNCH THE BALL. BONESS PENALTY GEMMELL FALLS DOWN AFTER THE SLIGHTEST OF TUCKS & EMBELLISHES IT WITH A HUGE SHOUT & HIS ACTIONS. A TYPICAL OF PENALTY WHEN THE GRUESOME TWOSOME ARE BEHIND. BO GOAL THE SHIRE DEFENDER IS BARGED OFF THE BALL BY JAMIE HENDERSON THUS ALLOWING THE GOALSCORER TO GET TO THE BALL. MAX CHRISTIE BOOKED FOR " ILLEGAL USE OF THE MOUTH " TO THE STANDSIDE LINO & THEN CONTINUEING WITH IT TO THE REF AFTER THE REF HAS WALKED AWAY AFTER SHOWING THE YELLOW CARD 2HIM. YET AGAIN GEMMELL MANANGES TO PLAY THEY WHOLE GAME WITHOUT GETTING DERSERVED 2ND YELLOW CARD. SOME OF HIS UNYELLOWED CHALLENGES ARE 🤬

• 2 months later...

Some interesting news coming out the club this week - two new members of the Board who (as far as I am aware) have no previous connection to the club. Not sure what they mean by "taking routes that have not yet been seen in the Scottish game" but the club has been stagnating for a while now so I do think this is a positive step, even if it's very early days.

What does Workhorse Group do? Fraser Cromar had connections with Hibs then FC Edinburgh last year. Mine host of the War Office in Camelon. Good guy, wish him and the Shire aw the best

Edited by razamanaz

On 05/03/2023 at 21:33, AlansHotBath said:

Some interesting news coming out the club this week - two new members of the Board who (as far as I am aware) have no previous connection to the club. Not sure what they mean by "taking routes that have not yet been seen in the Scottish game" but the club has been stagnating for a while now so I do think this is a positive step, even if it's very early days.

I live far away ... so I could not attend the session. What is the outcome? I saw a lot of big words in Falkirk Herald about sustainability, climbing up the leagues, and reconnection with the community ... Are there any specific plans about the stadium (do they want to stay as tenants at the Falkirk stadium?)? Are you optimistic about chasing promotion next season? Thanks in advance for any information about the plans of the new leaders of the club 🙂 

10 hours ago, MSA said:

I live far away ... so I could not attend the session. What is the outcome? I saw a lot of big words in Falkirk Herald about sustainability, climbing up the leagues, and reconnection with the community ... Are there any specific plans about the stadium (do they want to stay as tenants at the Falkirk stadium?)? Are you optimistic about chasing promotion next season? Thanks in advance for any information about the plans of the new leaders of the club 🙂 

I wasn't able to go either, unfortunately. 

I can't imagine we'll be anywhere near promotion next season, I think the point is more about making the club sustainable in the long term (which realistically is as a LL club) rather than firing a bunch of money at the wall and hoping it all works out (again). 

QUOTE FROM TODAYS EDINBURGH EVENING NEWS RE NEW TIER 5 LEAGUE WITH B TEAMS

Darvel manager Mick Kennedy, whose West of Scotland League Premier Division side shocked Montrose and Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup this season, wrote on Twitter: “Only in Scotland would league reconstruction to progress our game relegate over 200 clubs. Anyone who supports this should be ashamed. There is a reason the new conference requires no voting power, because they already know it's wrong on so many levels.”

• 2 weeks later...

After only 4 months in the job, Sandy Clark and his assistant George Paterson have been lured into the hot seat at League 2 basement boys Albion Rovers. 
The Shire were much improved under Clark with a real identity, purpose and intensity in their play which maybe didn’t rocket them up the league but points and performance levels were better than before they came into the club.

Good luck to them both and let’s hope the Shire make a good appointment and they have a similar impact as they look towards next season.

1 hour ago, Senderos said:

After only 4 months in the job, Sandy Clark and his assistant George Paterson have been lured into the hot seat at League 2 basement boys Albion Rovers. 
The Shire were much improved under Clark with a real identity, purpose and intensity in their play which maybe didn’t rocket them up the league but points and performance levels were better than before they came into the club.

Good luck to them both and let’s hope the Shire make a good appointment and they have a similar impact as they look towards next season.

Big risk to leave the Shire for Albion imho 

Shire new partnership and sponsors looking to bring stability to the club and relegation for Albion would bring them the exact opposite 

However it presents an opportunity for Shire to bring in Martin Lachlan a manager who knows and understands the Lowland League better than anyone, he can build teams that surprise everyone. 

Just look at the job he did at Petershill against a big budget Drumchapel and while Shire fans may still hurt with their first season in the LL you have to appreciate how well he had EK playing and up for it that season as well 

Edited by OneBairnEveryMinute

Clark definitely improved us and got us to a position where we didn't need to worry about relegation. Be interesting to see if he can do the same at Albion. All the best to them and him, anyway. 

1 hour ago, OneBairnEveryMinute said:

However it presents an opportunity for Shire to bring in Martin Lachlan a manager who knows and understands the Lowland League better than anyone, he can build teams that surprise everyone. 

Jardine is probably the best manager in the league, but I think Lachlan would be a good signing regardless. 

It'll be an interesting time next season!