The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

22 minutes ago, amigan said:

Bring back firs park

That opens up another can of worms. Owned by a former chairman called Alan Mackin (played for Motherwell and Falkirk) who obtained the deeds under dubious circumstances after running the club into the ground and has not subsequently been able to sell or develop the land because the council have blocked any change in zoning.

Think he has tried to persuade the Shire to work with him on a possible return in fairly recent times but has been told to GTF in no uncertain terms every time he has made an appearance at a Shire game. Hopefully Shire fans do make an appearance soon but no posts for three weeks maybe tells its own story unfortunately.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 25/09/2022 at 17:17, LongTimeLurker said:

That opens up another can of worms. Owned by a former chairman called Alan Mackin (played for Motherwell and Falkirk) who obtained the deeds under dubious circumstances after running the club into the ground and has not subsequently been able to sell or develop the land because the council have blocked any change in zoning.

Think he has tried to persuade the Shire to work with him on a possible return in fairly recent times but has been told to GTF in no uncertain terms every time he has made an appearance at a Shire game. Hopefully Shire fans do make an appearance soon but no posts for three weeks maybe tells its own story unfortunately.

Craigiemack will be along any time now in about 3 to 4 weeks.

First ground I had a curry pie in 

I remember deciding to go to a Shire v Arbroath game as a lad and in those pre-internet days I looked up a map of Falkirk in an AA gazetteer we had. Got off at Falkirk High, walked down the hill, found roughly the area where Firs Park was and proceeded to walk straight past Firs Street without noticing .. eejit.

After asking an old boy where the ground was I doubled back and arrived at the turnstiles. I was ridiculously early so a boy sold me a comp for three quid, saving me two quid on the entrance :lol:

I used to watch the Shire during the 80's and early 90's when I was too young to go to Falkirk away games.  With the Shire playing at TFS and Falkirk being too painful to watch last season, I have again started to take more than a passing interest. I have seen a few home games this season.  I agree with the previous post. The Shire are tough watch. A pale imitation of the teams of yesteryear.  It looks to me like the current manager, good player or not, is in a rut and out of ideas. At the same time he comes accross in interviews, like he is irreplacable. Shire should be competing at the top end of the table. In the current situation, the buck stops with Derek Ure. Getting pumped off Boness just isn't acceptable.

The team selection is puzzling, the big dark haired forward (sorry still getting to grips with the names) who scored the winning penalty at StMirren, has made a difference every time I've seen him come on. Even though he looks more like a centre forward, than a wide man.  Why is that boy on the bench? Everyone can see this boy is a player who makes things happen and will get goals. I don't think he would look out of place in League one or two.

There were boys signed from Premiership outfits in the summer. These laddies have taken a step back, to take a step forward.  A massive opportunity for Shire, to give them game time and move them on for a fee, or a development fee. The lack of coaching, poor team selection and poor disipline,  instead leaves the Shire looking like the graveyard of ambition. Where a dead-end to a once promising carreer is assured. The fact Sludden went out on loan tells you he saw the writing on the wall.

A wee bit of advice for Mr Ure, it's not a pub team you're running, so stop picking your pals. Put a bit of effort into developing the promising young boys signed in the summer.  Otherwiswe the slide to oblivion will continue,  pretty soon, all that will be left is a pub team.

Interested to hear the view of any Shire fans, on where you think its going wrong.

I haven't been at many games this season because my interest in football has been on the wane recently (I'm sure in part because of how the Shire have been this season, but more generally I have just felt like I've got better things to do than watch any level of football). 

The structural issues the club has are pretty clear and covered above. The club wont be able to generate a bigger fanbase, income or connection with the local community without it's own ground (Firs Park or elsewhere), but it cant get a ground with those things (or another mystery businessman decides to invest in the club).

On the pitch, it's obvious this has led to a lack money for players. Last season we had a reasonable level of success, but a lot of the games were by quite fine margins, we weren't generally winning or losing by a lot. This season the quality of pretty much every part of the team has dropped, particularly in midfield and at full back, so the drop off from last season's results had been quite stark. 

I do think Del is limited as a manager and probably isnt good enough to get something greater from the sum of its parts from the team over a long term period, (not to mention reoccurring issues of losing points from winning positions and discipline, which go beyond this season) but I doubt he'll be sacked. He's still mostly popular with the fans, and I doubt we could actually get anyone better in at the moment given our current situation.

There seems to have been enough glimmers of good performances so far to make me think we can scrounge together enough points to not be relegated, but that will be dependent on Dalbeattie not suddenly improving at some point.

There seems to have been enough glimmers of good performances so far to make me think we can scrounge together enough points to not be relegated, but that will be dependent on Dalbeattie not suddenly improving at some point.

Remember that two can go down. It's not just Dalbeattie you're to be worried about.

Intertesting to hear that even the part time Falkirk contingent are saying how far we've gone down hill recently. Maybe they should worry about their own teams performances, but I don't get the impression that they are gloating.  In amongst the ramblings of Ally B, there were a couple of fair points. We should be aiming higher and we need to cut out the red cards. Agree Wilson looks promising in the limited time he's been on the park, but heard was injured at the start of the season. I don't want to be critical of Del , and won't let a part timer slag him off, but maybe he does need to change things up a bit.

1 hour ago, Chinatoon said:

Intertesting to hear that even the part time Falkirk contingent are saying how far we've gone down hill recently. Maybe they should worry about their own teams performances, but I don't get the impression that they are gloating.  In amongst the ramblings of Ally B, there were a couple of fair points. We should be aiming higher and we need to cut out the red cards. Agree Wilson looks promising in the limited time he's been on the park, but heard was injured at the start of the season. I don't want to be critical of Del , and won't let a part timer slag him off, but maybe he does need to change things up a bit.

The post from Ally B seems to be in perfectly good faith to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2022 at 22:40, NELLY 1 said:

Well done to the shire. Class result

Shire will survive this season, with Dalbeattie & Edinburgh Uni going down IMO. Not confident about the long term situation, especially if clubs like EoSL Linlithgow are promoted, as the overall Lowland standard improves year on year. 

Darvel's money doesn't look like running out soon.........unfortunately. Half a dozen other clubs in the West will be promoted to the Lowland during the next 10 years.