The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

On 07/08/2022 at 19:34, craigiemack said:

He's pretty much untouchable. The board will never have the baws to sack him, and there'll never be any fan pressure cause we have a fantatical set of happy clappers that never critisice anything to do with the club, its all a SFA conspiracy etc etc.

I wasn't against him getting the job at the time but there were much better options out there and I sort of knew this would be the end result. He should've walked/sacked numerous times. Last season was the first season I would call a 'success' under him and it was still largely meh.

In years and years of watching the Shire this is the first time I have heard anyone be at all critical or even questioning of players, management or the club. It’s just not the done thing.

So refreshing!

On 16/08/2022 at 14:32, Dead said:

Was involved in the Diver protests and also Mackin protests. Both of which were long term criticisms of Shire management and how the club was being totally mismanaged

Accepted - but in my time no one has called for a manager to be sacked or got on a player’s back for being rubbish. I sometimes wonder what it would take.

Except I remember a guy called Ryan Harding during the McInally days who was rightly given a hard time - expectations were higher!

Currently in Ayr galavanting before heading up to the game. Looking forward to tonight. Cautiously optimistic. The only competitive game I seen was the Cumbernauld calamity, which apparently was a one off. If we can perform like how we did away to St Mirren then we’ll have a chance. I’m also hoping Killie field a shite team. Going by the Cowden fans their loan players from Nice and Man Utd were the difference last time, although St Mirren fielded a very strong team.

This is a big game for the club. The prize money from round 1 has allowed us to invest in the playing squad and a win tonight would only enhance that. Furthermore a win tonight would put us in a draw that could give us a Dundee, Falkirk or Dunfermline away. A couple thousand crowd that would really give the club a good payday. We’ve been here before numerous times and came up short but hopefully tonight may be different. Ease up 👍

Another big game tonight in our impending relegation battle. We played some decent stuff on tuesday night, but our centre mids and defence are an absolute calamity. The Kay/Fotheringham midfield combination in a disaster and really can't continue. Kyle Ewing, our CB, looks at sea in defence but his long range passing is very good, I'd move him into midfield to add some physicality. 

If we lose tonight we are in some right trouble with the fixtures coming up. Connor Smith(?) came on for hearts last night so don't expect him to play. They are very Jekyll and Hyde so hoping we catch them on one of their off nights. 

On 15/08/2022 at 20:55, GoodyWoody said:

In years and years of watching the Shire this is the first time I have heard anyone be at all critical or even questioning of players, management or the club. It’s just not the done thing.

So refreshing!

I only ever post on the Facebook forum when I'm pished, anything negative just gets shot down by the happy clappers. The Shires DNA is accepting mediocrity, always someone elses fault for our own wrongdoings. Our insistence on appointing managers with a Shire connection just adds to this problem imo. We need someone from the outside to come in and completely change the clubs mentality.

35 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Here's Hearts report on tonight's game.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/b-team-claim-victory-in-friday-night-football

Seems like Shire missed a few chances themselves.

Not much in the teams tbh. Aaron Darge a stand out for them in what was a largely meh Hearts squad. Only difference was the finishing, two very well taken goals for Hearts, Shire had numerous chances but we could've played all night and not scored.

There is something in this Shire team, we just don't have a goalscorer and until we find one we're going to be stuck at the foot of the table.

Our ability to draw games is truly breathtaking. Only another 8 draws required to probably guarantee safety. Should have that wrapped up by Christmas. No replays in the Scottish means we'll make at least the quarter finals by shithousing 90 minutes and extending on our current 4 penalty shootout win streak.  

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Wtf is going on at ES ?

The sugar daddy from Firs Street stopped providing money by the looks of things. Take that temporary cash injection away and you have a poorly supported club with no ground of their own (cue some drivel from Linlithgow about Newtown Park) renting a stadium that is way too big for them in the absence of SPFL prize money.

Having said that think it's still surprising that they are in the second possible relegation slot (if Brechin City replace a Club 42 relegated to the LL) about ten games in when Gretna and Edinburgh Uni are still involved at this level. 

If/when ES get relegated to the EoS in the years ahead it will be interesting to see what their natural level turns out to be given the way Camelon who do have a ground of their own and a comparable size of support are struggling these days. 

59 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

The beauty of the pyramid structure is clubs find their level.

The better teams go upwards and the poorer teams go downwards.

Some are better with a good fan base, like your own club, while others get inflated due to sugar daddies.

Personally I think Shire have had the same manager for too long, you wonder if a different man would have done better when the sugar daddy was around.

8 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Some are better with a good fan base, like your own club, while others get inflated due to sugar daddies.

Personally I think Shire have had the same manager for too long, you wonder if a different man would have done better when the sugar daddy was around.

Agreed…I know Derek is a club legend but that doesn’t necessarily make you a good manager. In the game against Boness yesterday it took him 35 mins to switch the 4ft 8 left back who was up against 6ft plus Dan watt who was destroying him time and time again. I’m most certainly not a manager but everyone could see a switch was needed after 5-10 mins 

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The sugar daddy from Firs Street stopped providing money by the looks of things. Take that temporary cash injection away and you have a poorly supported club with no ground of their own (cue some drivel from Linlithgow about Newtown Park) renting a stadium that is way too big for them in the absence of SPFL prize money.

I was at both Grangemouth Sports Stadium and Little Kerse in the last 10 days. Would one of those make more sense to ES than using TFS?

Short answer is probably yes obviously, but think there's an issue with athletics taking priority on fixture dates that would need to be available with the Grangemouth stadium and Syngenta were not able to use Little Kerse in an EoS context when they tried  to apply using that as their ground so that might be difficult to do as well.

It would be good to hear from the Shire supporters on their thread and particularly where they think their club is heading. I'm a Bo'ness United fan but I've a soft spot for the Shire and want to see them thrive as a club. FC Edinburgh are able to play at Meadowbank and I've thought for a while the Grangemouth Stadium could provide a new permanent home for East Stirlingshire. There's nowhere further east in the county. The Shire fans will be more aware of the details and it would be interesting to hear their point of view.