The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

21 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Do you think your club will accept the £7.5k from the league?

They will, and they will use the funds to create a huge bonfire on the stock car track with effigies of all the weak and snivelly boot lickers who voted this farce in.

49 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

They will, and they will use the funds to create a huge bonfire on the stock car track with effigies of all the weak and snivelly boot lickers who voted this farce in.

Much prefer the money 💰 to used towards a new contract for Kyle Miller 😜

Incredible that fitbaw is back in just a few weeks and things finally getting rolling on the signings front. I was quite worried for a wee while after we lost Gibbons and the rumours going around about losing a lot of players but we've managed to get through pretty much unscathed. Gibbons will no doubt be a big miss but he was a bit injury prone and we've replaced like for like so can be hopeful on that front. Andy Rodden, likewise is a decent player and I wish him well going up to League 1 with Clyde. But he is a left back and they are easily replaceable haha. Crooks and Churchill were both decent utility players but similarly easily replaceable. I would've liked Turner to stay just because I'm nostalgic but won't be a big miss. Craig Henderson is a good player but was just unable to hold down a place. Our squad last year was the most bang average Shire side I've ever witnessed, not necessarily a bad thing, so I wouldn't have minded any of the players signing on but equally not fussed about losing them. 

On the resigning front, Connolly is a real relief. The best Shire keeper I've ever seen and IMO the best in the league. If we didn't have him I fear what lowly position we'd be slumbering in. After years of watching Ritchie Barnard collapse any time a shot was hit at him then 5 years of Barclay moving about like his 6 yard box was filled with treacle it is a pleasure to watch a very good keeper. Kenny Barr and Andy Kay are 7/10s every week and valuable members of the squad while Dean Watson has that X factor that can really change games. He's still young and hopefully continues to grow and develop as he will be an important member of the team next season. Jack Hodge struggled with injury but theres a player in him and hopefully he'll be able to get a run of games next years.

The players still undecided are Tyler Fulton, Connor Greene and Jamie Hamilton. If we managed to get all 3 signed up then i'd be really happy with our spine for next season. 

Our two new signings are both midfielders but seem like they could be decent. Dean Ritchie has played a bit of league 1 football and I would imagine comes in as a like for like for Gibbons while Fotheringham was rumoured to be one of the Camelon 5 that joined in 2016 but turned us down to go to Queens Park. 

I'd imagine we've got another 10 or so signings to go so looking forward to see who we'll bring in. The big one will be our new striker, I'd imagine it will be very difficult to replace Offord but a few decent strikers then we should be looking at trying to consolidate ourselves in the top 6 or so in the league. 

The Shire voting for the Colts, despite the board trying to kid on that they are voting for a 'pyramid review', is really disappointing. The fans voted for the club to say no to the colts yet the club have flipped to go against what the fans want. In a league thats already a joke with two universities, Cumbernauld Boys Club, BSC Cumbernauld and Edufrance Academy the prospect of 3 colts teams on top of that is really draining and ruins what should be a really competitive league next year. Overall though, I'm pleased with the business we've done so far. A solid 6th place awaits!

Edited by craigiemack

• 2 weeks later...

South Challenge Cup draw tomorrow, we've failed to get past the second round (i think) since the 18/19 season when we were defeated by Bonnyrigg in the quarter finals. Granted our draws have been generally dull. We're in the North East section, lots of quite exciting ties possible against clubs we've never played before and the possibility of some decent away trips too. I wouldn't be shocked if we drew Cumbernauuld Colts though.

3 hours ago, craigiemack said:

South Challenge Cup draw tomorrow, we've failed to get past the second round (i think) since the 18/19 season when we were defeated by Bonnyrigg in the quarter finals. Granted our draws have been generally dull. We're in the North East section, lots of quite exciting ties possible against clubs we've never played before and the possibility of some decent away trips too. I wouldn't be shocked if we drew Cumbernauuld Colts though.

Are the “guest” clubs in this cup or do they get to pick and choose what games they play ?

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

Are the “guest” clubs in this cup or do they get to pick and choose what games they play ?

They’re no in the south challenge thankfully. It’s probably the best cup to play in, arguably better than the Scottish.

Kirkcaldy and Dysart then Crossgates or Stirling Uni if we beat them. I’d imagine we’ll beat Kirkcaldy but their team looks to have a bit of experience. The Uni or Crossgates will pose a bigger threat but hopefully Crossgates away as we’ve not had a decent away game in a cup for a good few years now 

33 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

Kirkcaldy and Dysart then Crossgates or Stirling Uni if we beat them. I’d imagine we’ll beat Kirkcaldy but their team looks to have a bit of experience. The Uni or Crossgates will pose a bigger threat but hopefully Crossgates away as we’ve not had a decent away game in a cup for a good few years now 

We need to target the 3rd round. Even if we do play Crossgates Primrose we need to target a win. We've got a habit of losing too often to teams in divisions below us the last few seasons... 

Edited by come on shire

1 hour ago, come on shire said:

We need to target the 3rd round. Even if we do play Crossgates Primrose we need to target a win. We've got a habit of losing too often to teams in divisions below us the last few seasons... 

Our record in cups recently has been woeful and the only ex junior team we've defeated awy from home is Blackburn I think so the omens aren't good if it is Crossgates we end up playing. The South Challenge is something we should be targeting getting to the later rounds, i'd quite happily take being a cup team as at least our season would have a bit more excitement in it. We're in 4 cups this year so would like a decent run in at least one of them.

54 minutes ago, Boaby Fisher said:

What do we think of the new kits? Overwhelmingly positive response on social media but not to my liking. Prefer the tartan look we had.

I'm not really a fan, but I will wait to see what they look like in person. Didn't like the previous ones much at first but they grew on me after a while.

In general the ev2 kits have been pretty humming. I like my rugby league (stop talking about rugby) and it is no surprise to me that loads of english teams have ev2 as their kit supplier. They're a bit clunky for football kits. I liked the redesigned kits of the last few years but they're nothing like the OG reebok ones which I'm quite pleased I managed to purchase a real one of online. I just felt that if we were ever going to redesign them it would have been better to have actually had a successful side wearing them haha. The kits this season, not a huge fan but kits are not something i get overly excited or bothered about tbh. It has been a long time since I looked at one of our kits and thought, yeah I really like that, probably the 2013/14 kits maybe?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, leomessi1984 said:

Took in the Crossgates game last night. Thought ES looked weaker than last season but conscious there was a ton of trialists in the 11. Couple of promising youngsters in there though! 

They came more into it after Crossgates had all the early play.

Looked home and hosed at 2-0 but let Crossgates back into it.

The second goal they lost was a bit of a shambles.

Our defence and midfield was quite make shift last night and we did have his lord and saviour Iain Ure in goals so not really fussed about the goals conceded. Our attack seemed to play decent though which was our main achilles heel last year. The young trialist sub, no 16?, apparently looked a decent player so looking forward to seeing him next week.