The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

On 27/11/2021 at 22:59, Pyramid Watcher said:

I always thought he was a stand out for the Shire, I take it you don’t share that view?

Good player as he's proved over the years and nothing against him but pound for pound one of the worst Shire signings of all time. Brought in on big wages as the marquee signing during our financial assualt on the LL but totally non existent in any game against a decent team. World class against the diddy teams, went hiding against the good ones.

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/11/2021 at 23:56, craigiemack said:

Good player as he's proved over the years and nothing against him but pound for pound one of the worst Shire signings of all time. Brought in on big wages as the marquee signing during our financial assualt on the LL but totally non existent in any game against a decent team. World class against the diddy teams, went hiding against the good ones.

Actually just come on to say to you all he’s been excellent. Bossing games every week in the league, best player on the park by a mile in our cup game against Dundee United and St Johnstone. Surprised to read this and looking forward to him coming back from injury in the next week or two 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I can't see any scenario where a dedicated ground is a reality sadly. 

Aye, seems like a big investment would be needed but the likelihood of it, being Scottish football and all, is not very high.

The Grangemouth athletics stadium was being talked about as far back as the 80s. The consensus among the few regular supporters at the time was that they wouldn't go at one game I was at in that era where it was a major talking point. If priority on booking dates could ever be sorted, I think that's the only possibility of it ever happening.

The Grangemouth athletics stadium was being talked about as far back as the 80s. The consensus among the few regular supporters at the time was that they wouldn't go at one game I was at in that era where it was a major talking point. If priority on booking dates could ever be sorted, I think that's the only possibility of it ever happening.

Good point about priority. How come folk weren’t up for it, because it was a worse option than they had at the time?

Along at Alloa today for my first Shire game of 2022. It was an impressive performance to win a hard-fought game - the whole team seem to be functioning pretty well together at the moment, and while it was fairly even we restricted Broomhill to very few good chances to score, and took the few we had well. 

It's funny in hindsight because we won in the end, but the ref not giving a penalty for a Broomhill player holding Offard's leg as he was through on goal was the highlight of a lousy performance from him.  

• 2 weeks later...

An enjoyable match today against Caledonian Braves, it was unfortunate to drop points to a late goal that really looked offside, but a draw is fair overall. Braves had a number of chances in the first half to score and were probably unlucky themselves not be to at least level at half time. 

Their away strip looks like the type of top you get for free when you pre-order the new Fifa. Nice, I'm sure it will appeal to some, but not really for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of our games have been 'live' on betting sites recently so managed to get an understanding of the game last night. Going by the possession -> attack -> dangerous attack vibes I sensed that we werent really in the game second half and the highlights sort of gave that impression too. However a really good win in the end and continues our pretty solid form this year. We now just need to win against bsc or cumbernauld and we're almost guarenteed to make it through to the quarters and when you look at possible ties left theres not really any teams that i'd fear. 

At the start of the year I thought we'd maybe be 8/9th but we've definetly exceeded my expectations, we now have a great chance to go deep in the LL cup and try and push for 6th and (i think) qualify for the SPFL Trust Europa Conference League Cup. It would be really good to finish the season on a high, keep the bulk of the squad from this year and go into next season with some confidence and belief, but I won't hold my breathe. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2022 at 08:40, craigiemack said:

A lot of our games have been 'live' on betting sites recently so managed to get an understanding of the game last night. Going by the possession -> attack -> dangerous attack vibes I sensed that we werent really in the game second half and the highlights sort of gave that impression too. However a really good win in the end and continues our pretty solid form this year. We now just need to win against bsc or cumbernauld and we're almost guarenteed to make it through to the quarters and when you look at possible ties left theres not really any teams that i'd fear. 

At the start of the year I thought we'd maybe be 8/9th but we've definetly exceeded my expectations, we now have a great chance to go deep in the LL cup and try and push for 6th and (i think) qualify for the SPFL Trust Europa Conference League Cup. It would be really good to finish the season on a high, keep the bulk of the squad from this year and go into next season with some confidence and belief, but I won't hold my breathe. 

The lads have exceeded my expectations for sure. Like you, I think they could do even better next year if we keep the squad largely intact and make a couple of shrewd signings. Any chance we can get Offord on loan again next year?