The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

2 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:
7 hours ago, craigiemack said:
The last time we won our opening 3 games of the season.
What a team. So many great days that season, still can't believe we ended up finishing 8th after the start we had, its actually a shame that the players chucked it as soon as we fell out of the playoffs because we certainly were better than our 8th place suggests. A lot of 'what if?' moments that year that could've changed not only the clubs season but the clubs future.  

Michael Bolo. What a player

McGregor, Bolo, Townsley and McGowan. The back 4 dreams are made of.

On 19/10/2020 at 20:50, craigiemack said:

McGregor, Bolo, Townsley and McGowan. The back 4 dreams are made of.

On 19/10/2020 at 13:43, craigiemack said:

The last time we won our opening 3 games of the season.

What a team. So many great days that season, still can't believe we ended up finishing 8th after the start we had, its actually a shame that the players chucked it as soon as we fell out of the playoffs because we certainly were better than our 8th place suggests. A lot of 'what if?' moments that year that could've changed not only the clubs season but the clubs future.  

One of my favorite seasons that I've seen.  The things I would do to see Kevin Turner and Paul Quinn put on a Shire top again! That season was also one of Max Wrights select few where he was a player. 

Will also never forget the Bolo-Townsley celebrations, what a team!

4 hours ago, forrie_1 said:

Peterhead away,  last minute goal for a 1-1 draw and the 3-2 win down at Annan my top highlights from that season..Good times

You have reminded me that I did find the remianing missing Shire videos from that season. I definitely have the 12/3/14 Annan Athletic highlights. File is way too big to be uploaded here so will add to the usual spot, hopefully at the latest by tomorrow morning.

13 hours ago, Dead said:

You have reminded me that I did find the remianing missing Shire videos from that season. I definitely have the 12/3/14 Annan Athletic highlights. File is way too big to be uploaded here so will add to the usual spot, hopefully at the latest by tomorrow morning.

I hope that the Albion Rovers game from the April is in there somewhere. I'm sure Scotty Maxwell scored a Van Basten esque goal that day. Don't think I've ever seen it replayed so hopefully it's as good as I remember 😂

8 hours ago, craigiemack said:

I hope that the Albion Rovers game from the April is in there somewhere. I'm sure Scotty Maxwell scored a Van Basten esque goal that day. Don't think I've ever seen it replayed so hopefully it's as good as I remember 😂

You are in luck. Have found that video from 5/4/14 and Maxwell did score. Will need to re-watch it myself.

Talking of crazy goals does anyone remember who scored and when the 60 yards plus free kick from the stand side when we played at Ochilview. Must have been 8 odd years ago. I will need to try and find that again. Bevvy perhaps ?

55 minutes ago, Dead said:

You are in luck. Have found that video from 5/4/14 and Maxwell did score. Will need to re-watch it myself.

Talking of crazy goals does anyone remember who scored and when the 60 yards plus free kick from the stand side when we played at Ochilview. Must have been 8 odd years ago. I will need to try and find that again. Bevvy perhaps ?

Bevvy was the man, against Peterhead. 5-1 up at half time, although I don't think it was a free kick. Think he just launched one from his own half. 

All the goals were screamers that day. 

I am really looking forward to the game tonight. It's the first major test, not just for us, but for EK as well this season. So far we've both came up against mid-table teams you'd expect to beat more often than not if you wanted to challenge for the title, and both have done that without looking incredible. I think it's also the first game between two teams who would have been considered in-and-around the title race at the start of the season. Both teams will want a big win to put down a marker for the season ahead after a disappointing year last year.

I really cant call it, but if we do go down 1-0 in a dud of a game again, then it will be impossible to shake off the feeling that this season will be a re-run of last season. 

I think we are solid defensively, my concern is more not being able to score. If Low is playing (I've no idea where he has been this season) it will be a boost, and I'd like to see him play in a midfield 3 with Gibbons and Peggie, both of whom have really impressed so far and dont deserve to be dropped (and will give a bit more freedom to Low to create chances).

I am really looking forward to the game tonight. It's the first major test, not just for us, but for EK as well this season. So far we've both came up against mid-table teams you'd expect to beat more often than not if you wanted to challenge for the title, and both have done that without looking incredible. I think it's also the first game between two teams who would have been considered in-and-around the title race at the start of the season. Both teams will want a big win to put down a marker for the season ahead after a disappointing year last year.
I really cant call it, but if we do go down 1-0 in a dud of a game again, then it will be impossible to shake off the feeling that this season will be a re-run of last season. 
I think we are solid defensively, my concern is more not being able to score. If Low is playing (I've no idea where he has been this season) it will be a boost, and I'd like to see him play in a midfield 3 with Gibbons and Peggie, both of whom have really impressed so far and dont deserve to be dropped (and will give a bit more freedom to Low to create chances).

I agree with most of your post alan but i think stirling uni will cause a few of the bigger sides problems this season. Look a good side.

Its early in the season but this game does have a feel about it that it could shape how the rest of the season plays out for the winner. On that note im going for a score draw.

Feel free to post score updates for us poor nightshift workers.

Enjoy the game. Not to much though.

As far as i’m aware Nicky Low is out with a groin injury and Sean Brown has been far from fit for a month or so now. Feel like out of the two we missed Brown more tonight as we had very little up front. Relatively stale game with the draw being the fair result imo. Be interesting to see how much we improve with Low and Brown coming back into the team. Tappy going off with what looked like a hamstring injury tonight was not good so hope that isn’t as bad as it first looked. Overall I’m happy enough with the result as it’s better than our usual starts to a LL season. 

Last night's game was a pretty drab spectacle. The first head to head between teams expected to be in the top 4/5 made it quite a cagey affair with neither team getting anywhere near top gear.

EK had the best chance of the game in the opening few mins, Marty Orr making a miraculous goalline clearance when all the EK striker had to do was lift the ball into the open net. The rest of the half was filled with half chances and I never really felt either team were capable of scoring. A few 'professional' fouls from each side make it a bit stop start and Shire lost centre half tapping to a hamstring injury late in the half that didn't help Shires fluidity.

Shire were better in the second half but didn't really create any gilt edged chances. EK look susceptible to balls over the top and we had some success with this, Brennan made a few comfortable saves and Dishington dragged a shot wide when he perhaps could have done better. 

Rather annoyingly Del subbed Andy Shirra on rather than Ronan Kearney when Dean Watson was forced off with injury and we just sat back and contained for the last 10 mins. EK were there for the taking but I think our repeated 1-0 losses in games like this influenced Del into trying to secure the point rather than go for all three. Time will tell if that was the right move.

On that showing I can't imagine either team winning the league but both will just be glad that they don't fall a loss behind any of the other big hitters. A lot of teams in this league are now defensively solid and perhaps finding it difficult to break down stodgy defences. I think there will be a lot of dropped points this year and certainly less pumpings than in previous years.

Negatives for Shire will be the loss of Tapping and the new striker Dean Watson who were both forced off with injury. With Low and Brown missing we are without our real quality players. The positive to that is we are picking up points without our best players. Ross Connolly still hasn't conceded a goal. I'm sure Dead will have all the facts but it's surely been a long time since we kept 4 clean sheets in a row, never mind to start the season. 

Vale of Leithen on Saturday should be another victory but the pitch may be in some state with all the recent rain. 13/15 would be a very good start before another big test in Bonnyrigg on the first Saturday in November. Certainly an exciting time to be a shire fan. Long may that continue.

On 27/10/2020 at 18:15, Dead said:

Bevy score against Alloa from about half way too I think around new year time we got beat 4/5-1 

We have the easiest fixture today out of the too 6 but that doesn't mean Vale won't cause problems. The pitch will be a cowfield I would imagine after all the recent rain and that will make things difficult. BSCs result there a few weeks ago shows that Vale can match anyone on their day and we'll need to put in a professional performance to get the 3 points. Would ideally like to put a few past them to boost the GD but that may be difficult in the conditions.  Our KO is 2pm so hopefully we can wrap up the points and watch a few of the big hitters bottle it big time in the 3pm's.