The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

A Shire player has tested positive and as such the full team have to isolate for 14 days, thus meaning our first game of the season is postponed?

No doubt this will be the first of many times a player tests positive and the full squad need to isolate. Said it at the time but it really is a joke that the league decided to have a 32 game season, its completely unachievable. I wonder if this will have an impact and they might rethink, if not then it could easily become a joke if positive cases continue to happen.

58 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

A Shire player has tested positive and as such the full team have to isolate for 14 days, thus meaning our first game of the season is postponed?

No doubt this will be the first of many times a player tests positive and the full squad need to isolate. Said it at the time but it really is a joke that the league decided to have a 32 game season, its completely unachievable. I wonder if this will have an impact and they might rethink, if not then it could easily become a joke if positive cases continue to happen.

I read this as well, albeit elsewhere.

I take it the whole team is to isolate owing to the lack of testing at this level? Unlike in the premier league when it's been pretty much just the affected player who's had to isolate.

If it's the case that whole teams are to isolate for a fortnight, at this level, players' employers may begin to take unkindly to their employees playing part time football

4 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I read this as well, albeit elsewhere.

I take it the whole team is to isolate owing to the lack of testing at this level? Unlike in the premier league when it's been pretty much just the affected player who's had to isolate.

If it's the case that whole teams are to isolate for a fortnight, at this level, players' employers may begin to take unkindly to their employees playing part time football

Mentioned this before as well as most teams not even paying players just now until competitive games start won’t be long until players decide they aren’t playing 

Did Shire take a coach to a game or have have they been training indoor or using changing rooms?

Positives in the West and teams in the Fife amateurs but just players that did car shares had to isolate. Kirkcaldy YM had a positive Monday posted about theres on Fife forum:-

http://fifefootball.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/72372-rumours/page/4/

Posted Monday at 12:50 PM (edited)

I've just had a call from track and trace again 10 minutes ago and they're saying there is no need for us to isolate or stop playing as they don't deem grassroots football as a big concern to the virus spreading.All they've said is if anyone travelled in a car with the positive case they have to isolate and if anyone else starts showing symptoms they have to isolate..so technically going by there guideline we have cancelled Saturdays game against kirkcaldy albion training this coming week and Saturday comings game v kincardine for nothing.

I don't know the ins and outs. My thoughts are that with the increasing cases around the country and the stricter restrictions anyone coming into contact with someone who has tested positive will need to isolate. I know that in Rugby League the players wear GPS monitors so if a player tests positive they can track who was in close proximity and for how long etc but that obviously wont be an option at this level.

Importantly though, and I think this point may be getting overlooked, I hope whoever has tested positive is okay and its only asymptomatic. We forget sometimes when our emotions run high about our teams that these players are only part time and have much more important commitments outside of football. Hopefully whoever has tested positives working life wont be affected. 

From the teams perspective this is obviously going to have a big impact on our season. We wont be able to train for 2 weeks, you could say they are the 2 most important weeks of pre season too, and we will miss at least our first game, possibly the Edinburgh Uni game on the Tuesday too, this will mean that like every year we are chasing other teams from the start. The timing could have been worse though, when the season gets going something like this could mean having to postpone 4 or 5 games. Where are they going to find the dates to play these games in what is already a crowded season? 

I don't know the ins and outs. My thoughts are that with the increasing cases around the country and the stricter restrictions anyone coming into contact with someone who has tested positive will need to isolate. I know that in Rugby League the players wear GPS monitors so if a player tests positive they can track who was in close proximity and for how long etc but that obviously wont be an option at this level.
Importantly though, and I think this point may be getting overlooked, I hope whoever has tested positive is okay and its only asymptomatic. We forget sometimes when our emotions run high about our teams that these players are only part time and have much more important commitments outside of football. Hopefully whoever has tested positives working life wont be affected. 
From the teams perspective this is obviously going to have a big impact on our season. We wont be able to train for 2 weeks, you could say they are the 2 most important weeks of pre season too, and we will miss at least our first game, possibly the Edinburgh Uni game on the Tuesday too, this will mean that like every year we are chasing other teams from the start. The timing could have been worse though, when the season gets going something like this could mean having to postpone 4 or 5 games. Where are they going to find the dates to play these games in what is already a crowded season? 
We had a coach test positive last week.

Advice he was given from test and trace, followed up by the club seperately to confirm (Thursday) was that no action was required other than the coach isolating himself for 14 days.

We were told that people were only being considered "close contacts" and asked to isolate if they had been indoors with a confirmed positive case for more than 15 minutes at less than 2 metres distance.

He was asymptomatic.

As no one has been, advice we were given was to carry on, follow protocols as we had been doing and only if someone developed symptoms should they then get tested and isolate.

We cancelled training Wednesday as we were seeking guidance, but back today for a friendly as advised.

I know at least one other club in the same situation, with a player, who were told this week the same as we were. We actually played them today!

So I would guess there were different circumstances in the Shires case, as they seem to have been given different advice than everyone else at our level who has a confirmed positive test in their group, which seems to have been pretty consistent thus far.

I don't think this is the norm.

Hope everyone at the club is ok and the player in question recovers. [emoji106]

As others have said, really hope the player makes a quick recovery, and that this doesn't effect their family or their work outside of football.

It's possible they trained this week, or even that the test was administered when the squad met up earlier today in advance of the planned friendly. Don't know what the protocal was around the club.

The closer we get to the season starting, the less confident I am we will get through a full campaign. There's no sign of cases going down, and while I don't see there being another full-scale lockdown again the government are probably going to have to put some stricter conditions in place. Clubs will go bust (or just withdraw from competitive games and effectively shut down temporarily until there's widespread vaccination to avoid going bust), postponed games will stack up, and I can see a lot of players just packing it in for a while when it becomes too much of a hassle at this level.

Why they all went to self isolation.
Seems they have either changed their approach, or it's a case of the contact tracer in charge of the case going rogue.

Obviously nothing the Shire can do, they've done the right thing and need to follow the advice given.

Just seems that the advice they have been given is different to at least 3 other clubs in similar situations.

8 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Seems they have either changed their approach, or it's a case of the contact tracer in charge of the case going rogue.

Obviously nothing the Shire can do, they've done the right thing and need to follow the advice given.

Just seems that the advice they have been given is different to at least 3 other clubs in similar situations.

No idea. I'm sure with 20+ people involved there would have been some push back from some of them that would clarifiy things before making a public announcement.

No idea. I'm sure with 20+ people involved there would have been some push back from some of them that would clarifiy things before making a public announcement.
Absolutely, not questioning the Shire at all, they can only do what they're told and clearly that has been for the full squad to isolate. Think the positive is that all clubs (and players) seem to be taking it seriously and trying to do the right things.

All I was highlighting is that the advice the Shire have been given is very different to the advice others, including ourselves, have been given in similar circumstances.

Ultimately we're all reliant on the test and trace people making the decision and doing what they say, but I think we'd so expect that advice to be consistent to avoid confusion.

In our experience the individual in question had the test as part of a pre op screening, not because they had any symptoms and post positive test all he was asked was if he'd spent 15 minutes or more indoors with anyone at less than 2m.

He told them about football, but that it was all outdoor as we have no changing rooms at the moment etc. They said no action required for anything other than him.

We cancelled training anyway to follow up, to be safe. Contacted test and trace and we were told the same thing. As no one had been indoors at all, we could continue following our protocols and only if someone in the squad got symptoms they should isolate and book a test.

He had been at two games in the previous 4 days (obviously we contacted those teams as well out of courtesy).

As I say, hope everyone at the Shire is ok, only reason I posted was as we've just been through the same with a different outcome and, quite reasonably, there were a few posts expecting that everyone would be the same across the board when it seems that's not the case.

10 hours ago, gaz5 said:

Absolutely, not questioning the Shire at all, they can only do what they're told and clearly that has been for the full squad to isolate. Think the positive is that all clubs (and players) seem to be taking it seriously and trying to do the right things.

All I was highlighting is that the advice the Shire have been given is very different to the advice others, including ourselves, have been given in similar circumstances.

Ultimately we're all reliant on the test and trace people making the decision and doing what they say, but I think we'd so expect that advice to be consistent to avoid confusion.

In our experience the individual in question had the test as part of a pre op screening, not because they had any symptoms and post positive test all he was asked was if he'd spent 15 minutes or more indoors with anyone at less than 2m.

He told them about football, but that it was all outdoor as we have no changing rooms at the moment etc. They said no action required for anything other than him.

We cancelled training anyway to follow up, to be safe. Contacted test and trace and we were told the same thing. As no one had been indoors at all, we could continue following our protocols and only if someone in the squad got symptoms they should isolate and book a test.

He had been at two games in the previous 4 days (obviously we contacted those teams as well out of courtesy).

As I say, hope everyone at the Shire is ok, only reason I posted was as we've just been through the same with a different outcome and, quite reasonably, there were a few posts expecting that everyone would be the same across the board when it seems that's not the case.

I wasn't trying to say you were doubting what has happend with them. Just suggesting with 20+ people involved, amongst that number you'd have some people questioning having to self isolate that would have led to the same response other clubs received. Who knows what gets factored into these decisions.

Annan Athletic seem to be another club that did things slightly differently. They had 4 players test positive on the 15th and were playing a friendly yesterday which isn't 14 days. They seem to have shutdown until everyone got tested going by this article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54165732

That's 3 different ways of doing things. 1) Everyone self isolate. 2) Only the positive self isolate. 3) Everyone self isolate until tested. So there certainly doesn't seem to be a blanket approach.

On 27/09/2020 at 08:24, FairWeatherFan said:

That's 3 different ways of doing things. 1) Everyone self isolate. 2) Only the positive self isolate. 3) Everyone self isolate until tested. So there certainly doesn't seem to be a blanket approach.

Only named players given to Contact tracing will isolate so the player tested positive must have named his full squad out. The way it has been done for the Shire is an extreme contradiction on the process that is well documented on NHS websites, Contact Tracing websites.

1) Everyone doesn't need to isolate-Confirmed by Contact Tracing website and personal contact with Forth Valley Tracing team that I have had.

2) Not this either as only named people have to isolate ( and the positive person) after Risk assessment carried out by Contact Tracing on the individuals replies.,and if any of the isolated persons start to get symptoms they then get tested and if positive the process starts again with contact tracing were named people get isolated, even if tested negative after showing symptoms  the person still needs to isolate for 14 days regardless.

3) Pretty much same approach as 2

My personal contact with the forth valley Health Protection Team/forth valley Contact tracing/NHS is that the wide scale approach to isolate everyone within a team is not the way it should be done as the process effectively means they end up over isolating people that really don't need to be isolated and makes absolute zero sense to follow this approach. not a direct quote from contact tracing but pretty much the basics.

It appears the Shire have been completely shafted and its peoples jobs as well, poor poor play from Contact Tracing on this one.

Whole Shire squad and coaches and some comittee and all there families been made to isolate. Does not makes sense at all.

If school kid is positive, you do not isolate the class and rest of year and all the teachers and all their families, you isolate the positive kid and there family, and any other kid that sat in cars with or sat beside in lots of classes. If you are positive and went to pubs day before, you do not isolate all the staff in every bar and all the drinkers that day and all of their families, you isolate yourself and your family and any body you sat with.

And that is inside and not two metres apart and all. Looks a big mess.

8 hours ago, Kemlin Dan said:

Only named players given to Contact tracing will isolate so the player tested positive must have named his full squad out. The way it has been done for the Shire is an extreme contradiction on the process that is well documented on NHS websites, Contact Tracing websites.

1) Everyone doesn't need to isolate-Confirmed by Contact Tracing website and personal contact with Forth Valley Tracing team that I have had.

2) Not this either as only named people have to isolate ( and the positive person) after Risk assessment carried out by Contact Tracing on the individuals replies.,and if any of the isolated persons start to get symptoms they then get tested and if positive the process starts again with contact tracing were named people get isolated, even if tested negative after showing symptoms  the person still needs to isolate for 14 days regardless.

3) Pretty much same approach as 2

My personal contact with the forth valley Health Protection Team/forth valley Contact tracing/NHS is that the wide scale approach to isolate everyone within a team is not the way it should be done as the process effectively means they end up over isolating people that really don't need to be isolated and makes absolute zero sense to follow this approach. not a direct quote from contact tracing but pretty much the basics.

It appears the Shire have been completely shafted and its peoples jobs as well, poor poor play from Contact Tracing on this one.

A mate of mine works at Disclosure Scotland and right now they're meant to be prioritising a lot of Contact Tracing jobs. So it doesn't surprise me that there's differences in what people are being told. It's not like these Tracers are going to have a ton of experience.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

A mate of mine works at Disclosure Scotland and right now they're meant to be prioritising a lot of Contact Tracing jobs. So it doesn't surprise me that there's differences in what people are being told. It's not like these Tracers are going to have a ton of experience.

This is causing me on a personal level to turn off the contact tracing app. If it's going to be used in this draconian way then I'll take my chances. I'm not going to be told to isolate because I happened to be outside and not within 10 or 20 yards of someone but I'm picked up on Bluetooth.  That's going to end up with complete lockdown by stealth. Beyond that, if repeated for every team, then the season has no chance of completing, players are going to chuck it because of the threat to their families freedom of movement and their income from their day job. 

Tracing gone rogue looks like:- seventy two players, coaches, comittee, wifes, girl-friends, kids all let out today after five days isolating. Could have trained tonight and can take a friendly on Saturday you would think. Hoping they all get back to work and school with no problems as they all did nothing wrong and should never have been locked up. Hoping the player who tested positive is ok and any family he lives with.

If tracing got this sort of power over people not inside two metres for fifteen minutes and all families it needs a appeal panel or second opinion.