The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

If we are going to seriously challenge for the league we should be looking for 5/5 wins in October. We need to get a win over another top team early, and the other four games are quite winnable, hopefully. November is a tough month as well, but if we can get some momentum from October you never know.

Or we could bin off the league by Fireworks Night.

I quite like our start, I had resigned myself to the fact we were going to have BSC as usual so this is a nice change. Civil will test us as always but it we have any ambitions to finish anywhere near the top of the league then we need to win it. Edinburgh uni should be a walk in the park then I'm sure Dalbeattie will give us a good game but like the Civil one if we want to be near the top we need to win it. If we get 9/9 to start the season that should set us up nicely for the EK game.

I'm looking forward to seeing our team this year, I think this is the first year in the lowland league where we haven't had to replace any big players over the summer and this has allowed us to improve our squad in a few positions. We look to have a settled defence and hopefully Ross Connolly can give the back 4 the confidence that I don't think Jamie Barclay always gave them. Gibbons and Low should compliment each other well and we've signed a few wingers that will add pace to an attack that last year looked quite slow. Sean Brown staying fit for the year would also be a huge bonus.

I can't see us winning the league but I hope that we could put up some sort of fight. The games are going to come thick and fast this year and it would be great to be involved in some sort of scrap for the title. I'd hate for us to bottle our opening games then have 27 meaningless fixtures crammed into 6 months but it will not surprise me one bit if that ends up the case.

If you're going for the title it's crucial to get off  to a flyer. 

I remember writing a Nimmo's Notes column in the Shire programme many years ago, emphasising that point. Can't remember if it was 3 points for a win at that time but I recall Clydebank winning their opening 6 games and St.Mirren losing their first 6 games, leaving an 18 point gap. I then calculated how long it would take to claw back the deficit, should the leaders hit a bad patch, say averaging 4 points out of 12, while the bottom club hit some good form, averaging 8 out of 12. After 22 games they would still be 2 points behind. I think, as it turned out, it did take St.Mirren that long to get it back, which goes how vital a good start is! 

Edited by Nimmo's Notes

On 15/09/2020 at 14:16, craigiemack said:

I quite like our start, I had resigned myself to the fact we were going to have BSC as usual so this is a nice change. Civil will test us as always but it we have any ambitions to finish anywhere near the top of the league then we need to win it. Edinburgh uni should be a walk in the park then I'm sure Dalbeattie will give us a good game but like the Civil one if we want to be near the top we need to win it. If we get 9/9 to start the season that should set us up nicely for the EK game.

I'm looking forward to seeing our team this year, I think this is the first year in the lowland league where we haven't had to replace any big players over the summer and this has allowed us to improve our squad in a few positions. We look to have a settled defence and hopefully Ross Connolly can give the back 4 the confidence that I don't think Jamie Barclay always gave them. Gibbons and Low should compliment each other well and we've signed a few wingers that will add pace to an attack that last year looked quite slow. Sean Brown staying fit for the year would also be a huge bonus.

I can't see us winning the league but I hope that we could put up some sort of fight. The games are going to come thick and fast this year and it would be great to be involved in some sort of scrap for the title. I'd hate for us to bottle our opening games then have 27 meaningless fixtures crammed into 6 months but it will not surprise me one bit if that ends up the case.

I feel as if Civil have robbed us of our usual start to the season. Not playing Shire on the opening day of the season is hard to imagine. I feel hollow and empty inside. This must be what it feels like for clubs with fans forced to play in empty stadiums.

1 hour ago, Jerry Macguire said:

I feel as if Civil have robbed us of our usual start to the season. Not playing Shire on the opening day of the season is hard to imagine. I feel hollow and empty inside. This must be what it feels like for clubs with fans forced to play in empty stadiums.

It just won't feel right, we'll still draw 1-1 though so it won't be all that different!

Highlights from the weekend were an interesting watch. Our new signings looked very good. Gregg Wylde looks very good especially with his run in for the 1st goal. Kieran Gibbons looks very solid and composed in the middle which was really good to see with Connelly looking very solid too. Good finish by Robbie Young for the second goal as well. I still think we look a bit shaky at the back, especially in the second half (however we did have Rodgers playing centre half). We were also missing Malone too there is that to look at. I felt the most disappointing performance was Andy Rodgers who just looked a bit off the pace the whole game. On a whole I’d say there is still work to do but I take more positives than negatives from that.