The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

9 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I get your point and it could work but each area, the WOS, EOS and the SOS need most teams to be licensed, so it will take  a few years for the WOS to catch up

Yeah I agree, right now it wouldn't work but hopefully the West teams upgrade their facilities in the same way that the Eastern teams have. If the SoS team did not meet the requirements then a play off between 2nd in the East and West would be a good option to keep the pyramid flowing.

23 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:

At the moment I dont think 2 down from League 2 will work - with current sizes that is 1/5 of the league automatically down, which is too much imo. It would also likely drain the Highland league of teams in a few years. (There's also zero chance of League 2 teams voting for it).

If both of those problems could be sorted then I'd back it. 

At the moment automatic relegation for team 42 and a LL/HL playoff to replace them is the best solution. 

I'd also back expanding the LL and upping the relegation places from it. 

I'd also then have a play-off between team 41 and the LL/HL losers. Keeps the format consistent across the four SPFL levels.

On 07/05/2020 at 20:38, craigiemack said:

After being involved, the leagues certainly got better. Some of the teams that have been in the League have literally been Sunday league standard but the inclusion of clubs like Kelty and Bonnyrigg have certainly improved the quality. The investments at clubs like the Shire, BSC and soon to be Cumbernauld Colts will keep adding competiton and quality to the league which is only a good thing.

Have Cumbernauld come into a bit money then ?  Anytime I was there and who I spoke to they certainly weren't flush.

20 hours ago, craigiemack said:

I also feel that some people can be a bit hypocritical when they call the SPFL a 'closed shop', the LL is only slightly better.  In 10 years time the Shire will most likely be battling down in the bottom half of the league, if there is a greater chance of relegation and promotion then it wouldn't be the worst thing being a yoyo club between the LL and East of Scotland.

So does being a "yo yo club" make you into a "Sunday league standard" team then.

Hypocritical indeed! 

2 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Have Cumbernauld come into a bit money then ?  Anytime I was there and who I spoke to they certainly weren't flush.

This was mentioned on a recent Official Catch-Up episode but idk if that's confirmed or still just a rumour. 

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

So does being a "yo yo club" make you into a "Sunday league standard" team then.

Hypocritical indeed! 

There was an article written where one of their board members said they were looking at pushing on and going to attempt to challenge at the top of the league. I think they signed a few League 2 players in January, but I suppose the current situation hasn't helped matters.

The Preston Athletic team of 2016/17 and the Hawick RA team of 2017/18 were both abysmal and so out of their depth. The Whitehill team last year wasn't much better. The fact they are both now miles off the pace in the EosS conferences pretty much shows that. Once the pyramid begins to truly flourish the Shire will be going between the bottom half of the LL at best and top half of the East of Scotland but by then both leagues will be of a very good standard so their won't be any shame in that.

11 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

The Preston Athletic team of 2016/17 and the Hawick RA team of 2017/18 were both abysmal and so out of their depth. The Whitehill team last year wasn't much better. The fact they are both now miles off the pace in the EosS conferences pretty much shows that. Once the pyramid begins to truly flourish the Shire will be going between the bottom half of the LL at best and top half of the East of Scotland but by then both leagues will be of a very good standard so their won't be any shame in that.

It wasnt Preston or Hawicks fault the fact nobody wanted to be part of the LL at the time though. If it wasnt for clubs like these the LL wouldn't be where it is today. It's funny how its suddenly become the creme de la creme for non league Scottish fitba though.

The pyramid is "truly flourishing"  now and shows a high standard especially in the east where a struggling ww and Blackburn beat the league champions on their own patch. 

I wouldn't be so convinced of you being between bottom LL and top EoS in years to come. It's a decent league is the EoSFL Premier. 

And now the west are involved makes it even more interesting. Yous better be on yer toes if you want to remain that "yo yo" club. 

17 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

It wasnt Preston or Hawicks fault the fact nobody wanted to be part of the LL at the time though. If it wasnt for clubs like these the LL wouldn't be where it is today. It's funny how its suddenly become the creme de la creme for non league Scottish fitba though.

The pyramid is "truly flourishing"  now and shows a high standard especially in the east where a struggling ww and Blackburn beat the league champions on their own patch. 

I wouldn't be so convinced of you being between bottom LL and top EoS in years to come. It's a decent league is the EoSFL Premier. 

And now the west are involved makes it even more interesting. Yous better be on yer toes if you want to remain that "yo yo" club. 

On the nobody's fault front, i'll at least blame Threave Rovers for Hawick getting in. They were amongst the last 2 applicants to get in alongside Civil Service Strollers. And there was only two places because Threave had packed their bags for the SoSFL.

If Threave had stayed in the league I don't see Hawick getting picked over CSS.

17 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

I'm not saying its their fault, as you say if it wasn't for teams like them who joined the LL when it was created then the league wouldn't be where it is today. I'm saying that they were of an abysmal standard and the overall quality has improved now that teams like Kelty, Bonnyrigg and to an extent Edusport/Caley Braves have joined the league.

Its flourishing in the sense that teams are joining yes but there's still huge differences in the distribution of quality across the leagues. That doesn't help when there's only one team going down from a 16 team league. There will continue to be a 'bottleneck' as people call it and it will only get worse unless the LL adopt at least 2 down per season.

I'm aware its a decent standard as we were knocked out the Scottish by a team from that league, the Shires long term future lies in the East of Scotland - if there's more than one promotion spot then I'm sure most teams will be 'yoyo' clubs but if it continues to be only one up from the East of Scotland then the Shire will probably just be a top half EofS team.

• 4 weeks later...

Fair play to them, both decent moves. They're both decent players and good people but I'm glad we've let them go. Our defense has been shite for years and needs a change up so its a good move. 

I don't think either of them fitted in this year either, the dynamics of the changing room obviously shifted after the investment and there were rumours around October time that Barclay wasn't enjoying it. Andy Grant obviously threw his toys out the pram like his brother and left while Greene was injured for pretty much the full season. All great servants to the club but if we want to make progress then decisions like this need to be made.

I'm not really a fan of the new kits. Bit too much like a rugby top for my liking.

But, I think I'm in the minority on that view. Plus often they look better in person than the design images that have been released 

Edited by AlansHotBath

I also wonder when/if we'll announce any more resignings. I mean it may be the case that no one has signed on yet but that would be a bit worrying considering we announced they had been offered contracts over a month ago.

The important thing is we've signed all of our key players from last year. I would like Malone, Murray, Horne and Millar to sign on but I wouldn't be overly fussed if any of them didn't. The same can really be said for McCafferty, Euan Griffiths and Ross McLaughlin - they'd add good depth but it wouldn't be a loss if any of them moved on.