The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

I have my doubts, personally.

I get that they are both new to management (which itself is probably part of the problem, it might've been better with Del as manager with an assistant with management experience) but there hasn't really been a sign that things are improving or that the clear issues with the team are being fixed since they took over last season. 

Hopefully the reserve side is binned and focus is put on the first team for next season. 

16 minutes ago, selfassemblyshire said:

Who has done a better job at the shire in recent history?

The fact we made a final was special. We are not worldbeaters. We are not Brazil. Get your expectations in order please

Sludden was a far superior manager, and if he had the resources these 2 have had, would have made a better job of it.

Whilst Andy will rightly be looked upon as a club legend, he should be nowhere near the dugout in a managerial sense.

i have loved Del both as a player and a manager (less so), but he is dragged down by Andy’s antics.

Edited by The Informer

1 hour ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

John Sludden was a great manager, great guy but was told that if there was a player he wanted, not to worry about the cost, just to ask our sponsor and the money would be sorted out. He never did ask for finances, though so didn't help himself. 

Maybe not a bad policy when you look at what we have spent the money on this year. Admittedly some good signings, but some horrific ones as well.

Ah the never to be forgotten, for those of us lucky to have been there,  5-0 home win against Stenny in Aug 2006. 

After seasons of suffering what probably was the worst sustained run any team team ever had in the old SFL the start of season 2006/07 brought the faint hope that 'Shire might be just beginning to turn the Mackin induced and manifactured (£10pw wages) shear awfulmess. 

Although our form once again fell off a cliff after Christmas that season and another wooden spoon was duly "won", for many fans we could at least cling on to something and this win was that light in the darkness of the £10pw days.

From memory It really should have been 6-0 that day with an unbelievable miss just before fulltime that wasn't captured on the highlights or game length video (the video ends a few mins before the end) will need to re-check my notes from the time. I do remember a rather drunk night on the town in Falkirk post match with a number of guys would never would normally stay out after the game joining the usual few of us well into the night.

That game now seems another world away given what has happened in the seasons after.

Happy memories of a Firs Park sadly missed.

• 1 month later...

Can I ask for the East Stirlingshire people
What was your view of the lowland league when you were relegated or even before, ( was it looked at as all doom and gloom if relegated) ?

and what is your views now having been involved in it, trying to get back to SPFL?
Do you think it works well and do you think there should be a straight two team relegation from the SPFL

8 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

What was your view of the lowland league when you were relegated or even before, ( was it looked at as all doom and gloom if relegated) ?

and what is your views now having been involved in it, trying to get back to SPFL?
Do you think it works well and do you think there should be a straight two team relegation from the SPFL

When we first joined the league I think we were confident of winning the league. We'd won 6-0 against Threave and 1-0 against Whitehill in the Scottish Cup in the years leading up to our relegation, both of whom were in the top 4/5 when we played them, and we'd only narrowly been beaten by Edinburgh in the play offs. We'd strengthened relatively well and had put on some good showings in the Betfred Cup games, particularly away to League 1 Stranraer and SPL Motherwell. However, we lost 2 of our Centre Backs right at the start of the season. Famously Ross Fisher, who got his TV game against Rangers then left as he didn't fancy travelling up for training. We drew 2-2 v Vale of Leithen, lost 1-0 against EK then got hammered 7-4 by Selkirk and our title challenge was over by the end of the September. It certainly wasn't doom and gloom, it was seen as a new opportunity to visit new grounds and win a bit more than we were used to. 

After being involved, the leagues certainly got better. Some of the teams that have been in the League have literally been Sunday league standard but the inclusion of clubs like Kelty and Bonnyrigg have certainly improved the quality. The investments at clubs like the Shire, BSC and soon to be Cumbernauld Colts will keep adding competiton and quality to the league which is only a good thing.

Finally, I'm actually in favour of a 14/14/14 set up or 14/14/16 preferably to get rid of Kelty but there needs to be 2/3 relegation places, the problem is really in the the distribution of teams in relation to the pyramid structure and the fact that League 2 clubs are shitehawks. I don't like the Lowland League because as soon as you fall behind in the title race your season is effectively over, the rest of the games are literally glorified friendlies. Same goes at the bottom of the league, hopefully with the West and East set up now in place they can increase the relegation spots to 2-4 places and really let the pyramid flourish .

53 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

Darvel strengthening heavily. He'd be a good addition.

He was rumoured to go there in January but I think his injury problems put a halt to it. He's been out since August so who knows how his knee will be when he returns but as you say he'd be a good signing there.

15 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Personally, it was a bit of a relief that there was actually somewhere to go. We'd been staring at oblivion for years through the £10 a week era and for a long time it seriously looked like we'd cease to exist. First season in the LL was obviously the time to win it and get straight back up, there was only us and East Kilbride in it, but typical Shire, blew it big style. Seriously wonder if we'll ever get out of it now with the way it's going, obviously it's only getting stronger with time. I won't be too despondent if this turns out to be our level, but I'd fear for our future if we were ever relegated to the EoS.

On 07/05/2020 at 11:40, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I really knew nothing about it before we were relegated, tbqh. Most of my knowledge came from the handful of teams that had made a run in the Scottish cup.

Overall though I do much prefer the LL to League 2, and I'm pleased it's getting stronger every year and developing a pyramid below it. I think this probably our natural level for the moment but as long as we can remain at the top end of the league each season then you never know. 

At the moment I dont think 2 down from League 2 will work - with current sizes that is 1/5 of the league automatically down, which is too much imo. It would also likely drain the Highland league of teams in a few years. (There's also zero chance of League 2 teams voting for it).

If both of those problems could be sorted then I'd back it. 

At the moment automatic relegation for team 42 and a LL/HL playoff to replace them is the best solution. 

I'd also back expanding the LL and upping the relegation places from it. 

On 07/05/2020 at 11:40, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Three thoughtful responses to that post.

I also feel that some people can be a bit hypocritical when they call the SPFL a 'closed shop', the LL is only slightly better. In my opinion i'd want at least 3 relegation spots from the League, 1 for the champions of the East, West and South. The more fluid the system the quicker the league can flourish. In 10 years time the Shire will most likely be battling down in the bottom half of the league, if there is a greater chance of relegation and promotion then it wouldn't be the worst thing being a yoyo club between the LL and East of Scotland.

56 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

I also feel that some people can be a bit hypocritical when they call the SPFL a 'closed shop', the LL is only slightly better. In my opinion i'd want at least 3 relegation spots from the League, 1 for the champions of the East, West and South. The more fluid the system the quicker the league can flourish. In 10 years time the Shire will most likely be battling down in the bottom half of the league, if there is a greater chance of relegation and promotion then it wouldn't be the worst thing being a yoyo club between the LL and East of Scotland.

I get your point and it could work but each area, the WOS, EOS and the SOS need most teams to be licensed, so it will take  a few years for the WOS to catch up