The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness.. Forget the very interesting ref decisions today the main point was the CB 2nd goal. Not sure about the thought process by Winters when he got the drop ball decision after Barclay was injured. Very poor form and although Low should have not mouthed off it was very understandable. That 6 mins at the start of the 2nd half killed the game. Nonsense stuff

Oh my goodness.. Forget the very interesting ref decisions today the main point was the CB 2nd goal. Not sure about the thought process by Winters when he got the drop ball decision after Barclay was injured. Very poor form and although Low should have not mouthed off it was very understandable. That 6 mins at the start of the 2nd half killed the game. Nonsense stuff
As a neutral who took in the second half:

Winters had the ball at his feet and an open goal when the Shire keeper went down injured and ref stopped the game. But that wasn't where the second goal came from?

Second goal Shire had the ball in comfortable possession well away from their goal and their right back tried to pass back to the keeper from wide, 40 yards away, and passed straight to the Braves striker who scored 1v1. Shire mistake, nothing to do with the ref or anyone else.

Red card I though was a red card as soon as you're man did what he did. You can't shout at the ref like that from a few yards away regardless of how bad he was. Asking for trouble. So again, self inflicted from a neutral point of view.

Missed the first half, but second Braves were the better side and deserved the win for me. Granted Shire were a man short, but they looked a bit like a collection of individuals doing their own thing rather than a collective. Braves looked the better unit, overall.

Brown and Dishington the two for Shire who looked most likely and was a little surprised to see the former replaced with 20 or so to go.

Sinclair ran the game most of the second half though in the braves midfield. Still a tidy player.

A rubbish performance today that epitomised everything that has gone wrong with us this season - ill-disiplined, conceding weak goals, total inability to react to game-changing events.

Didn't help that the ref was a complete disaster, think he had more touches of the ball than some of the players and somehow missed a Braves player fore-arming the ball in the box like he was Minoru Suzuki 

1 minute ago, gaz5 said:

As a neutral who took in the second half:

Winters had the ball at his feet and an open goal when the Shire keeper went down injured and ref stopped the game. But that wasn't where the second goal came from?

Second goal Shire had the ball in comfortable possession well away from their goal and their right back tried to pass back to the keeper from wide, 40 yards away, and passed straight to the Braves striker who scored 1v1. Shire mistake, nothing to do with the ref or anyone else.

That was their third you are describing, you would've missed their first if you only saw the second half. Their second goal to make it 2-1 was from the drop ball 

That was their third you are describing, you would've missed their first if you only saw the second half. Their second goal to make it 2-1 was from the drop ball 
Ah, I thought it was 1-0 Shire when I arrived and finished 2-1! So yes, that would explain it. [emoji846]

Wasn't the second goal a free kick to the back post?

20 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Ah, I thought it was 1-0 Shire when I arrived and finished 2-1! So yes, that would explain it. emoji846.png

Wasn't the second goal a free kick to the back post?

Nah, 3-1. Braves opened the scoring and Sean Brown equalised just before half time.

2nd was supposed to be a drop ball because Barclay was down injured as Braves were attacking, it was taken as a free kick, which depending on your view is bad sportsmanship. Definitely bad defending, anyway 

Nah, 3-1. Braves opened the scoring and Sean Brown equalised just before half time.
2nd was supposed to be a drop ball because Barclay was down injured as Braves were attacking, it was taken as a free kick, which depending on your view is bad sportsmanship. Definitely bad defending, anyway 
That's odd it was taken as a free kick, I didn't even twigg it was supposed to be a drop ball. [emoji85]

As you say, not defended the best either way.

Someone could have escaped from a lunatic asylum, kidnapped the referee and stole his kit to referee the game and we'd be none the wiser. 

However, we need to learn how to win games refereed by escaped lunatics. He was one of those guys who, 5 minutes into the game, you have to check the programme to see "who is this diddy?" 

He was bad for both teams, giving fouls which weren't and not giving fouls which were. Completely random bookings too. Booked Adam Murray for leaning into a guy then moments later a lunge from behind on Andy Rodgers gets no more than a free kick. 

The three crucial moments as far as Shire were concerned were the two handed save by the defender...... no penalty, the drop ball for our keeper being injured which turned into a free kick and a goal and, of course, Nicky being given a straight red for something he said straight after the goal. Andy Rodgers was even booked when he was still in the dugout, for saying, his exact words, which everyone in the stand could clearly hear, "why's that no a foul, ref?". Now, Andy deserves the odd yellow from time to time but on that occasion, totally unjustified. Meant when he came on, he was only one hissy fit away from a red. 

Hadn't intended to write so much about the ref but once I started I got carried away 😁

Performance wise, we needed to react better when things went against us. As usual we lose goals by being caught up the field and leaving ourselves thin at the back. When you're chasing a game it has to be done with discipline, in a measured way. 

I may be wrong but I honestly seen nothing wrong with their second goal. Barclay was down injured and their player was in possession with effectively an open goal so play was rightfully halted. The drop was uncontested because they were in possession, the exact same as when the referee blocked one of our passes by accident, and we completely switched off thinking the ball would come back to us. In my eyes, that’s not the referees fault. The third goal was equally as comical, and frankly we didn’t deserve anything from that game although I did only catch the second half.

Maybe it’s time people stopped blaming referees and actually looked at our real problems. We’ve spend a massive amount of money this year and we’re so very average. I keep seeing people say how we’re ‘building for next year’ but what exactly are we building? I don’t see any structure or philosophy in our play. Our defence is embarrassing and leaks goals like it’s going out of fashion while our attacking tactics are solely based around hoping Dishington or Low create something out of nothing. If we harbour any ambitions of going up or even attempting to challenge them you’d at least expect us to be on the cusp of something this season but we’re so far off the pace. We’re also close to losing our Champions League place and with EK and Bonnyrigg to play in our last 5 we really only have a maximum of 9 points to play for, how utterly tragic.

3 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

The drop was uncontested because they were in possession

Drop balls are no longer contested anyway, as all other players must be 4m from the ball. Assume there will highlights on youtube?

54 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

I may be wrong but I honestly seen nothing wrong with their second goal. Barclay was down injured and their player was in possession with effectively an open goal so play was rightfully halted. The drop was uncontested because they were in possession, the exact same as when the referee blocked one of our passes by accident, and we completely switched off thinking the ball would come back to us. In my eyes, that’s not the referees fault. The third goal was equally as comical, and frankly we didn’t deserve anything from that game although I did only catch the second half.

Maybe it’s time people stopped blaming referees and actually looked at our real problems. We’ve spend a massive amount of money this year and we’re so very average. I keep seeing people say how we’re ‘building for next year’ but what exactly are we building? I don’t see any structure or philosophy in our play. Our defence is embarrassing and leaks goals like it’s going out of fashion while our attacking tactics are solely based around hoping Dishington or Low create something out of nothing. If we harbour any ambitions of going up or even attempting to challenge them you’d at least expect us to be on the cusp of something this season but we’re so far off the pace. We’re also close to losing our Champions League place and with EK and Bonnyrigg to play in our last 5 we really only have a maximum of 9 points to play for, how utterly tragic.

Will the investment be as big for next season. If they are going for it get a strong 20 man squad plus del and andy. Theirs a massive squad their of players who are just playing in the reserves 

Will the investment be as big for next season. If they are going for it get a strong 20 man squad plus del and andy. Theirs a massive squad their of players who are just playing in the reserves 
I'm not sure about the "plus Del and Andy" bit.

Just now, cfor56 said:
5 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I'm not sure about the "plus Del and Andy" bit.

It's just for extra cover

It's just for extra cover
I was thinking that as guys learning their trade as managers they could do with someone experienced to support them.
It's a big transition from player to manager and requires different skills which support would help them develop.

On 01/03/2020 at 11:35, Nimmo's Notes said:

Someone could have escaped from a lunatic asylum, kidnapped the referee and stole his kit to referee the game and we'd be none the wiser.

He was bad for both teams, giving fouls which weren't and not giving fouls which were. Completely random bookings too. Booked Adam Murray for leaning into a guy then moments later a lunge from behind on Andy Rodgers gets no more than a free kick. 

The three crucial moments as far as Shire were concerned were the two handed save by the defender...... no penalty, the drop ball for our keeper being injured which turned into a free kick and a goal and, of course, Nicky being given a straight red for something he said straight after the goal. Andy Rodgers was even booked when he was still in the dugout, for saying, his exact words, which everyone in the stand could clearly hear, "why's that no a foul, ref?". Now, Andy deserves the odd yellow from time to time but on that occasion, totally unjustified. Meant when he came on, he was only one hissy fit away from a red. 

Hadn't intended to write so much about the ref but once I started I got carried away 😁

Always funny watching highlights after these kinds of rants. The two handed save by the defender can't have been that bad as it didn't make the video! The ref did get the incident at 5:15 wrong as the defender stood on his foot, but your player goes down far too dramatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaNKCEw5muw

With the dropped ball, you were a bit unlucky that the ref didn't blow it a fraction earlier before the Braves player outside the box touched it, as otherwise it would've been a dropped ball for the goalkeeper. But the ref did nothing wrong with the restart.

• 2 weeks later...
Derek Ure and Angry Rodgers sign on. Discuss.

The manager/assistant manager who we gave a massive budget to win the league. Signed poorly, couldn’t keep a team motivated and many times this season tactically inept. Let’s sign them on! Also found this strange to announce after the terrible result against the Braves.

They are Shire through and through and are genuinely passionate about the club but after this season I cannot see how this can be seen as a good decision.

Also looking forward to another season of being embarrassed by our dugout cause Andy Rodgers cannot control himself!