The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

2 hours ago, craigiemack said:

After today our record against top 4 clubs in the Lowland League is...

P. 24, W. 5, D. 7, L. 12

Our 5 wins are 2 in the first season against Stirling Uni, 1 won on the last day in 2017 against EK's reserves, the 5-0 against EK and a 1-0 against BSC when Del Ure scored in the last minute. We haven't won against in a top 4 team in almost 2 years, its an institutionalised problem and I don't see it ever changing. Today was yet another game where we have the chances, don't take them and get done late on. 

What a gang BSC are aswell, no wonder they have no fans cause who would want to watch their style of play. My eyes are still bleeding. Fair play though, teams at the top win games like that and we need to take a page out of there book if we're ever going to challenge. I fear how many Kelty are going to take off us in a few weeks.

Another thing, gang or not, their manager was constantly COACHING his team, giving instruction, encouraging them etc. Something is not right with the dynamic at Shire.

1 hour ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Lay off man. The guys hurting. 😂

He should look at his management team, their lack of building a proper team, boys who are on 4x wages of the 3x player of the year. Was never going to end well. 

Then to slag Swift’s team who battle and outpunch with half the budget is funny!  

23 minutes ago, Drogba1888 said:

He should look at his management team, their lack of building a proper team, boys who are on 4x wages of the 3x player of the year. Was never going to end well. 

Then to slag Swift’s team who battle and outpunch with half the budget is funny!  

Don't know to much about Shires finances so can't comment on that. However I do agree with you regards Swifty. IMO he is the best manager in the league and that's coming from a Gary Jardine fan.

1 minute ago, selfassemblyshire said:
4 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:
200.gif&key=8ad4b6b9be51e1e6e186526fd5a53432a4b64a34211f2448eb528261aa1dd533

Brutal ae. Were you the angry fan behind the dugouts? Craigiemack was fanboying at the thought of potentially meeting you

Not me. I’m a placid wee soul who thrives on anonymity. Game wasn’t great though so I can understand the rage. 

Not one for slagging other teams...at least, not in public, but BSC, East Kilbride, Bonnyrigg etc are teams who play, not to lose. Pack the defence and winning is a bonus. The likes of Shire, Kelty etc go out to win and Kelty seem to be better at it. 

If we're going to get out of this league we have to concentrate on defending, even if it goes against the grain, and not giving opportunities to those numerous counter attacking teams. 

Need to watch the highlights, by the way, to see if the goal was offside. 

Nimmo I have to disagree wholeheartedly. East Kilbride have always tried to play an attacking style of football and for me Bonnyrigg, every time I see them, play attacking football. Both though are very good at defending and not losing goals. To brand both as teams who play not to lose is simply not true on the games most people will have seen them play consistently for a fair few years now.

Not one for slagging other teams...at least, not in public, but BSC, East Kilbride, Bonnyrigg etc are teams who play, not to lose. Pack the defence and winning is a bonus. The likes of Shire, Kelty etc go out to win and Kelty seem to be better at it. 
If we're going to get out of this league we have to concentrate on defending, even if it goes against the grain, and not giving opportunities to those numerous counter attacking teams. 

Didn’t have you down as the trolling type nimmo. At least i hope its trolling. Granted we have been poor this season. But we have played some superb stuff over the years since this league began. And have won plenty of cups and titles along the way to go with it. There are teams you come up against (like yoursels) where it pays to keep it tight knowing you have the guys up top that will take there chances when it comes there way. Horses for courses and all that. And for the teams you mentioned, winning is never a bonus. Im pretty sure they will go out to win every game. As the results show. You’re trolling tho aint you. Damm it! You got me!!!

Beginning to think everybody is a bit #obsessed with the shire after the replies today! Very close game today and was always going to be one goal in it, which never seems to be in our favour[emoji23] BSC were a very dirty team but for the first time in a long time it looked like we were up for the battle. At some point Del and Andy need to be under pressure especially thinking forward towards next season

I'll be sporting and congratulate BSC on the win. However I thought we were unlucky not to get a penalty in the 1st half and we looked more threatening especially 1st half but didn't put any away which is what the game's about.

The ref was poor to both sides and I'm not reading into talk of the goal being offside. I was sitting centre in the stand so can't judge.

Let's look at what other teams do right and what we do wrong. Tight games equal tight margins, but you need to win tight games to win titles. This season we drew at BSC and won at Spartans, but losing at home to EK, Spartans, Kelty and BSC won't win leagues. A team's home needs to be its castle.

Instead of calling other teams dirty etc, bear in mind this level can be a physical arm wrestle. We need to (legally) get more of a "nasty bugger" attitude about us. I've been coming to see Shire seriously since '05 and we've had decent players who're nice guys. However we need to leave that at the side of the pitch for 90 mins. If we were putting in the hard tackles and coming away with rewards we wouldn't be complaining.

To conclude, having silky footballers in our team is grand, but a physical edge at this level to win the big games is what's needed, and which we're lacking.

6 hours ago, Shirey Pirey said:

Beginning to think everybody is a bit #obsessed with the shire after the replies today! ...

You are the big spending former league team and losing this game looks like one too many defeats in terms of being anything more than a long shot as a promotion contender given the gulf in quality between the top and bottom halves of the league. 

10 hours ago, The Informer said:

Another thing, gang or not, their manager was constantly COACHING his team, giving instruction, encouraging them etc. Something is not right with the dynamic at Shire.

This for me is a major negative when watching the Shire - a lack of evident coaching from the touch line.  The only shouting you hear from the Shire dug outs are ones aimed at their opposite bench or at the officials.

After the Spartans disaster the team responded with a good win at Cumbernauld but today it was back to struggling to break down a well coached team.  Nicky Low really plays like a one man team at times taking every set piece going no matter how deep they are from.  He knows he’s several levels above and tries too hard at times.

Also I’ve after seeing most of the last 20 home games over last and this season, I don’t rate Barclay despite what the diehards say and he could have done a lot better at the goal.  Granted he can make the occasional wonder save but he is so out of shape and as captain I see very little leadership.

The recent contract extensions suggest the big budget is in place for next season.  The current board have a big decision to make it terms of who will be spending it!

48 minutes ago, Senderos said:

Also I’ve after seeing most of the last 20 home games over last and this season, I don’t rate Barclay despite what the diehards say and he could have done a lot better at the goal.  Granted he can make the occasional wonder save but he is so out of shape and as captain I see very little leadership.

Pains me to say but I have to agree He has saved our bacon at times but about 6/7 of games this year a small error or decision made has killed us and we have lost a "big game".

This for me is a major negative when watching the Shire - a lack of evident coaching from the touch line.  The only shouting you hear from the Shire dug outs are ones aimed at their opposite bench or at the officials.
After the Spartans disaster the team responded with a good win at Cumbernauld but today it was back to struggling to break down a well coached team.  Nicky Low really plays like a one man team at times taking every set piece going no matter how deep they are from.  He knows he’s several levels above and tries too hard at times.
The recent contract extensions suggest the big budget is in place for next season.  The current board have a big decision to make it terms of who will be spending it!
Barclay is definately not out of shape. The boy is an absolute unit [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I think this has been taken the wrong way. Teams will sit in against the top teams and its only natural.

We have done well to restrict them to the small amount of chances they've had but the difference is that they take them.

BSC are well organised and the players all know their roles. I watched them against Bonnyrigg and they went out to (and did) win there.

We have such and attacking side and so many threats going forward that teams probably just dont take the chance against us or Kelty.

These teams just know how to win these tight games.

What helps BSC, EK and Bonnyrigg is the fact that their squads have played together fora number of seasons with a small turnover.

Hopefully we can add 1 or 2 next season. If I could sign anyone from the LL it would be Tam Orr or a fit McGachie.

Pretty sure it was taken the exact way the post was intended. Not being connected to any of the clubs listed in the post it's maybe easier for me to look objectively at what was posted and what I've witnessed from coaching and managing against the clubs.

A new year and a new decade is upon us. What better way to start than sideways passing our way to a 2-0 defeat against a top 4 team.

Don’t expect anything from us Bonnyrigg fans, not until bravehearts dad gives selfy his ‘gift’.