The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

We've now been in the LL for three and a half years and we've had a fair few sobering and dispiriting moments - the 7-4 loss to Selkirk (lol), the numerous pumpings of village teams, the abject displays in every single big meaningful game we've played - but yesterday, imo, really was the worst game in our LL 'journey' so far. To lose a game after being 2-0 up is inexcusable, the fact it was against 10 men deplorable but to lose against 9 men, I don't think there's a word that even comes close to describing it. Fair play to Spartans however, i'd do anything to have a shire team that showed as much desire and bottle as they did. 

The season is now over and we need to plan right now for next season. The two factors in play are investment and Derek Ure. This season has been an utter disaster from the start. If we wanted any chance of going up we had to appoint an experienced manager, we didn't do that and that imo is why we're where we are. Ures two biggest flaws have been his squad building and his tactics. The squad assembled makes no tactical sense and therefore his tactics make no sense. The decision to not sign a proper backup keeper is laughable, we havent kept a clean sheet since September and you could be critical of a lot of Barclays contributions to those goals but he has no one to challenge or replace him. We have 4 strikers who literally all do the same thing, we don't have a goal threat - we just have hold up players. Its like going back in time to watch Paul Quinn and Kevin Turner again. Our build up play is slow and it allows teams to get settled banks of 4/5 created and we lack the penetration to cut it open, as highlighted clearly yesterday. There was a case for Ure to go after EK, then again after Broxburn, and again after Kelty and again yesterday. His saving grace is his stature. Ure and Rodgers are two of the loyalist Shire players in the modern era and it would be a pity if this was how it was to end but lets be honest if this was any other manager there would be serious calls for them to be sacked.

So, do we have a future under Ure? The answer is yes but only in a certain situation. The Board need to make a decision now about next year, if there is going to be another investment for next year then Ure needs to go and be replaced by an experienced manager who can then have 6 months to evaluate the situation and plan for next year. However if there is no investment next year then Ure should stay. Radical as it seems, in January  i'd sell every single player we can and try to generate as much funds as possible for next year. We still have a solid core of LL class players that if structured could have a shot next year depending on circumstances. Ure has an unmatched passion for the club and if he develops tactically then would make a very good manager. At this point in time, I don't think he gets respect of the players - i don't think they care enough. Rumours have been coming out that some find the level 'too easy', ironic considering how shite some have been this season!

For the record, I haven't enjoyed this season one bit. We've been poor in every game i've seen - even the ones we've won. The footballs slow and boring and i feel no connection to the players. Bobby Barr is categorically one of the worst shire signings i can recall, I'm shocked we payed money for Mark Millar and Tapping looks a shadow of the player he was a few seasons ago.

A truly depressing situation, can't wait till the Lowland League Cup!

46 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

We've now been in the LL for three and a half years and we've had a fair few sobering and dispiriting moments - the 7-4 loss to Selkirk (lol), the numerous pumpings of village teams, the abject displays in every single big meaningful game we've played - but yesterday, imo, really was the worst game in our LL 'journey' so far. To lose a game after being 2-0 up is inexcusable, the fact it was against 10 men deplorable but to lose against 9 men, I don't think there's a word that even comes close to describing it. Fair play to Spartans however, i'd do anything to have a shire team that showed as much desire and bottle as they did. 

The season is now over and we need to plan right now for next season. The two factors in play are investment and Derek Ure. This season has been an utter disaster from the start. If we wanted any chance of going up we had to appoint an experienced manager, we didn't do that and that imo is why we're where we are. Ures two biggest flaws have been his squad building and his tactics. The squad assembled makes no tactical sense and therefore his tactics make no sense. The decision to not sign a proper backup keeper is laughable, we havent kept a clean sheet since September and you could be critical of a lot of Barclays contributions to those goals but he has no one to challenge or replace him. We have 4 strikers who literally all do the same thing, we don't have a goal threat - we just have hold up players. Its like going back in time to watch Paul Quinn and Kevin Turner again. Our build up play is slow and it allows teams to get settled banks of 4/5 created and we lack the penetration to cut it open, as highlighted clearly yesterday. There was a case for Ure to go after EK, then again after Broxburn, and again after Kelty and again yesterday. His saving grace is his stature. Ure and Rodgers are two of the loyalist Shire players in the modern era and it would be a pity if this was how it was to end but lets be honest if this was any other manager there would be serious calls for them to be sacked.

So, do we have a future under Ure? The answer is yes but only in a certain situation. The Board need to make a decision now about next year, if there is going to be another investment for next year then Ure needs to go and be replaced by an experienced manager who can then have 6 months to evaluate the situation and plan for next year. However if there is no investment next year then Ure should stay. Radical as it seems, in January  i'd sell every single player we can and try to generate as much funds as possible for next year. We still have a solid core of LL class players that if structured could have a shot next year depending on circumstances. Ure has an unmatched passion for the club and if he develops tactically then would make a very good manager. At this point in time, I don't think he gets respect of the players - i don't think they care enough. Rumours have been coming out that some find the level 'too easy', ironic considering how shite some have been this season!

For the record, I haven't enjoyed this season one bit. We've been poor in every game i've seen - even the ones we've won. The footballs slow and boring and i feel no connection to the players. Bobby Barr is categorically one of the worst shire signings i can recall, I'm shocked we payed money for Mark Millar and Tapping looks a shadow of the player he was a few seasons ago.

Probably because these guys are in it for the money they aren't their for respect of the Jersey. You made a better go of it in sluddens first season with lowland league level players. I've been to a few shire games this season and you feel that disconnect and its probably the money they have thrown at this.

28 minutes ago, gogsy said:

You've scored 2 or more goals in 19 out of your last 21 games and your league average goals per game is better than any bar Keltys. In fact if you continue scoring at the same rate you wont be far from 100 goals in the league at end of season.

Shire 9-1 Gretna 

Shire 4-0 Edinburgh Uni

Shire 4-0 Dalbeattie

Shire 6-1 Vale of Leithen

Shire 1-1 BSC

Shire 0-1 EK x2

Shire 0-1 Kelty

Shire 1-3 Bonnyrigg

Doesn't matter how many you score, it's who you score against.

Have you watched Derek's interview? There's no other man for the job. Maybe another couple of experienced coaches would be beneficial behind the scenes. I'm not just sticking up for him cause he's my mate but Iain's been brilliant in the reserve games.

Caling for Ure's head would be an absolute lack of loyalty. I know for a fact I'd stop all the fundraising I do for the club. f**k the money. We're never going to grow unless we get a home, the investment is a luxury atm. We need people who actually care about the club at the helm.

The players need to take responsibility too, as you mention the lack of fight and desire. They are out there to do a job and clearly failed yesterday. I'm sure Derek will have ben very clear about that. We've given other managers who have done much worse much longer. Its time to stick with Del and ride it out.

If it was any other manager people would be calling for the sack but this is Derek Ure we're talking about. He would be the record appearance holder by now if he had not taken the job and thats something that never happens in modern football, especially at our level.

He's stuck with us through the absolute shitshow that was the 2000's so we should show some loyalty and respect and stick by him instead of calling for his head.

Some shire fans have horrendously short memories. I even heard Bolo being abused by fans on Shire TV and he's an absolute legend.

It's easy to be critical but there's still plenty football to be played. Beat BSC and Kelty and who knows?

EDIT - Maybe the change you seek is above Derek's position and we need to see a change in the boardroom?

26 minutes ago, selfassemblyshire said:

Have you watched Derek's interview? There's no other man for the job. Maybe another couple of experienced coaches would be beneficial behind the scenes. I'm not just sticking up for him cause he's my mate but Iain's been brilliant in the reserve games.

Caling for Ure's head would be an absolute lack of loyalty. I know for a fact I'd stop all the fundraising I do for the club. f**k the money. We're never going to grow unless we get a home, the investment is a luxury atm. We need people who actually care about the club at the helm.

The players need to take responsibility too, as you mention the lack of fight and desire. They are out there to do a job and clearly failed yesterday. I'm sure Derek will have ben very clear about that. We've given other managers who have done much worse much longer. Its time to stick with Del and ride it out.

If it was any other manager people would be calling for the sack but this is Derek Ure we're talking about. He would be the record appearance holder by now if he had not taken the job and thats something that never happens in modern football, especially at our level.

He's stuck with us through the absolute shitshow that was the 2000's so we should show some loyalty and respect and stick by him instead of calling for his head.

Some shire fans have horrendously short memories. I even heard Bolo being abused by fans on Shire TV and he's an absolute legend.

It's easy to be critical but there's still plenty football to be played. Beat BSC and Kelty and who knows?

EDIT - Maybe the change you seek is above Derek's position and we need to see a change in the boardroom?

Yeah I agree with pretty much all you say. If we do get more funding then i'd rather its put into trying to find a ground or setting up a community system or something, as you say that's the only way the club can grow. If the club gets money again and are adamant that they want promotion then i don't think Ures the man but it would be a tragedy for it to end in that way. He's being sold by the players, some of them are absolute frauds and the worst thing about this investment is its alienated players like Andy Grant and Connor Greene. I've not really enjoyed any game i've seen this year - i actually hope that we go back to what we were next year. The basis is there, Barclay, Greene, Grant, Horne, McCafferty, Brown would have the makings of a decent team and with Ure as manager they'd be motivated and i'd much prefer watch that than what we've been subjected to this year. Maybe with less pressure Del would find it a lot easier aswell, you can tell it gets to him at times and I think Rodgers discipline this year is down to the pressure aswell. 

1 hour ago, craigiemack said:

Yeah I agree with pretty much all you say. If we do get more funding then i'd rather its put into trying to find a ground or setting up a community system or something, as you say that's the only way the club can grow. If the club gets money again and are adamant that they want promotion then i don't think Ures the man but it would be a tragedy for it to end in that way. He's being sold by the players, some of them are absolute frauds and the worst thing about this investment is its alienated players like Andy Grant and Connor Greene. I've not really enjoyed any game i've seen this year - i actually hope that we go back to what we were next year. The basis is there, Barclay, Greene, Grant, Horne, McCafferty, Brown would have the makings of a decent team and with Ure as manager they'd be motivated and i'd much prefer watch that than what we've been subjected to this year. Maybe with less pressure Del would find it a lot easier aswell, you can tell it gets to him at times and I think Rodgers discipline this year is down to the pressure aswell. 

The best thing ever is that you had to pay £11,000 for a winger from Spartans! Who’s contract expires in the summer! 
Shire fans slag Kelty for splashing the cash but they have spent 230k this year and aren’t ever close to going up 

The best thing ever is that you had to pay £11,000 for a winger from Spartans! Who’s contract expires in the summer! 
Shire fans slag Kelty for splashing the cash but they have spent 230k this year and aren’t ever close to going up 

[emoji42][emoji42][emoji42][emoji42][emoji42][emoji42][emoji42][emoji42][emoji42]

Each defeat makes it significantly more difficult given how often the other three main challengers win and the points totals they are likely to rack up, but it's far from a lost cause at this point. What the Shire need to be right back in it is for both Kelty vs Bonnyrigg Rose league games to be draws and to beat both those teams plus BSC in the remaining six pointer fixtures. Challenging but definitely not out of the realms of possibility. Sacking the management team seems like a kneejerk over-reaction and risky when part-time players that signed through their contacts are involved. You usually only do that when it genuinely is a lost cause to give the next manager time to see who he wants to keep.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Have to agree that at this level you should not be paying money for players which we have done with at least 3 players this season with all signing a one year deal.

Dont forget there will be VAT on top of that.....

How has Nicky Low been for you lot?

Best ‘big signing’ by far, cruises through a lot of games. One downside is he just shoots so unnecessarily all the time, wastes a lot of opportunities by shooting from 30 yards rather than picking a pass that he has the quality to execute.

Definitely our best player, tries like a bear and just wants to play football. He would play in every reserve game too if he could. I'd take 10 like Nicky Low in my team any day. 

Don't know why he's never featured in the Lowland League team of the month? Too obvious a choice? 

Definitely our best player, tries like a bear and just wants to play football. He would play in every reserve game too if he could. I'd take 10 like Nicky Low in my team any day. 
Don't know why he's never featured in the Lowland League team of the month? Too obvious a choice? 

Think he got in the one released today.