The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Why? 
I think its funny that you are miles off pace, spending 250k a year,clueless manager,  offering £125 a game win bonuses and you still nowhere near.....

Hiya David,

Hope you’re having fun at Darvel, sure you won’t score in any big games for them either!

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Can any 'Shire historicos help us out here?

Sorry It is not something I have read or heard about before.

John (Jim) Boyd was the Shire gk from 1957/58 to 160/61. He made his Shire debut on 15/2/1958 and was a permanent fixture between the sticks until the end of 1959/60. He was sidelined in 1960/61 with his last appearance for the club on 31/12/1960.

This is his photo from a shire team 1958/59 pic. I do have a better quality picture of him but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

Jim Boyd.jpg

7 hours ago, Dead said:

Sorry It is not something I have read or heard about before.

John (Jim) Boyd was the Shire gk from 1957/58 to 160/61. He made his Shire debut on 15/2/1958 and was a permanent fixture between the sticks until the end of 1959/60. He was sidelined in 1960/61 with his last appearance for the club on 31/12/1960.

This is his photo from a shire team 1958/59 pic. I do have a better quality picture of him but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

Jim Boyd.jpg

It does seem too much of a coincidence to be looking for a Stirling 'keeper called J Boyd but turn a blank, while "East Stirling" had a stopper called J Boyd.

Do you know his age? As I noted - if he was born either side of 1940 it could fit with him doing National Service. You had to serve 2yrs and it meant the British Army could field a pretty star-studded lineup until NS ended in 1963.

Without being disparaging it could surprise if someone playing for lowly 'Shire was 2nd-choice goalie for the British Army: over preceding 5yr they came from clubs like Charlton, Rangers, Falkirk, Southampton, Aldershot, Aberdeen, Brentford and Hamilton. That said by mid-1962 winding down of National Service was underway. Indeed this Far East marathon was a sort of "farewell tour".

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

Previous fee was £6000 to Falkirk for Colin McKinnon and Shire certainly offered more than that amount for Jamie Dishington. Club seemed to be happy with the tribunal result so must have been close to our offer. 

Trying to buy the league eh , how come you guys are avoiding the pelters 🤣

Solid enough win, Uni never really troubled us outwith their calamitous goal and a few decent shots at the end. We keep plugging on, still think we're too far behind to really trouble but every win brings us slightly closer.

Cmon the Shire

Looks like 6 weeks until New Year will define whether 'Shire are challengers:

Nov 23rd     Berwick (H)
Dec 7th        Spartans (H)
Dec 14th     Cumbernauld (A)
Dec 21st     BSCG (H)
Dec 28th     Edinburgh Uni (A)
Jan 4th        Kelty (H)

After that all opponents are 10th/lower... until late February when face Civil Service and Caledonian Braves... then Gretna in March... finally finishing East Kilbride (A) and Bonnyrigg (H).