The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Dalbeattie today were as tough as they always have been against us at Islecroft and to be honest Shire had the breaks at the right times of the game and capitalised on that to win a much desired 3 pts.

Vinnie Parker's moment in the Star's goal in the 2nd half when he was unable to hold onto a Shire shot which was then tucked away to put Shire 2-0 up probably sealed the win for us.

Star at home are a hard team to beat and on both on the trip down and back I was just thinking 3 pts for the Shire no matter what please.  Very happy after 3 previous draws at Dalbeattie that we finally came out on top today.

Shire at the moment are still a team yet to hit top gear but gradually the connections between the players is developing. Crazy that it is only 1 mth into the season and every pt is critical. Such is the way of the Lowland League these days.

Didn't think we were great today, although the pitch must hard to play on. Looked quite lush but you could see how bumpy it was and with all the rain that's fallen in the last couple of days, you could understand if the grass hadn't been cut a little shorter.

We were able to play in patches and create "moments" in the game, where the goals came from. 

Sean Brown looked sharp, after his long layoff and will get another run out with the reserves on Monday. Would like to see him on from the start, alongside Matty Flynn, in our next first team game. 

Good win yesterday at a place we’ve always struggled. Hopefully round the weekend off with a good Scottish Cup tie. Would love an away day to the Highland League as always, preferably a bottom half team. Failing that a nice easy home tie to see us safely into the next round.

I am prepared for Kelty/Bonnyrigg away however.

Always good to play someone different and go to another ground. 

Think I may have been there before. My granda used to take me to the occasional Junior Cup tie in what seemed like the middle of nowhere to me! 

I was never quite sure where I was. There was one occasion where I thought he said we were in Roxburgh (I had heard of Andy Roxburgh, who was still a player at the time). I realise now that I must have been at Broxburn! 

• 3 weeks later...

Going by this thread the excitement is palpable going into this one!

One of the only good things about our recent decline is the chance to play in the first round and get to go to these different grounds. I think we should win comfortably but it’s the Scottish Cup and I’d take any form of victory. Looking forward to it and hopefully a big crowd through.

I took in the Broxburn v Shire game today.

Broxburn started well and went 2-0 up after 13 mins with the Shire defence all over the place. 

Shire then got a foothold in the game and started to dominate possession. Nicky Low's free kick just before halftime was reward for that pressure.

Shire continued to dominate possession in the second half and missed a couple of good chances. Only in the last 15 mins did they look susceptible on the break.

The equaliser came when it looked as if it wasn't going to be Shire's day with the clock running down.

The injury time winner was met with the expected jubilation from the home support.

Good luck to Broxburn in tomorrow's 2nd round draw.

Shire needs to learn to do things a bit quicker and taking on more shots.  Nicky Low was the best player on the park by some distance, but Broxburn stood off him far too much and let him dictate play.  

Edited by Footballfirst

Very poor show yesterday. Still not playing as a team. The defence struggled with the bounce of the ball all game and at the other end there's just not enough chances being created. Nicky Low was involved in most things but a lot of the time he was too far back in his own half. Other players just didn't turn up and Broxburn were beatable as their defence was extremely panicky when the came near the box.
Has the money been well spent or are the players bought not being managed well?
Interesting post about the game by HibeeJibee on the Scottish Cup thread where he asks if we have the angriest bench in Scottish football. Well yesterday was certainly not their finest hour with both managers getting stupid yellow cards. What he failed to mention was Andy Rodgers trying to square up to a Broxburn fan after the final whistle and having to be physically restrained. Whatever was said that's no way for the assistant manager to behave.

4 minutes ago, cfor56 said:

Very poor show yesterday. Still not playing as a team. The defence struggled with the bounce of the ball all game and at the other end there's just not enough chances being created. Nicky Low was involved in most things but a lot of the time he was too far back in his own half. Other players just didn't turn up and Broxburn were beatable as their defence was extremely panicky when the came near the box.
Interesting post about the game by HibeeJibee on the Scottish Cup thread where he asks if we have the angriest bench in Scottish football. Well yesterday was certainly not their finest hour with both managers getting stupid yellow cards. What he failed to mention was Andy Rodgers trying to square up to a Broxburn fan after the final whistle and having to be physically restrained. Whatever was said that's no way for the assistant manager to behave.

Andy Rodgers has serious anger issues, not what your looking for from the bench to be honest.

16 minutes ago, cfor56 said:

A lot of the players we've got in should be of good enough quality in this league, but often haven't performed.

TBH the most frustrating thing is that, despite having a sizeable squad, we seem to play the same 11 with the style every game, with the same problems cropping up time and time again. No one in this league is good enough to just steamroller everyone they come up again, league winners need to be adaptable and maximise their abilities to hamper the opposition. Teams aren't daft and will us sussed out, if they've not already. 

But thankfully it's a diddy cup and this allows us to focus on the real goal this season - the SPFL Reserve League 2

Edited by AlansHotBath