The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

2 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:
3 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:
Good result last night and some lovely goals, although I think 4-0 was a tad unfair on the Uni - we took a while to get going and only really got in full control when they tired. Although if it was last season we would've been 1 down in a few minutes and spent the rest of the time valiantly fighting back for a 1-1 draw, so definite improvement there. 
It was my first time seeing the new team this year, was quite impressed with Tapping, who looks to have improved in his year away. The quality is obviously there in the attacking end of the park, just needs a bit more coherence at times. Hopefully another 90 minutes against a team probably of a similar level in Gretna this weekend will help to jel a bit more, before the game against Bonnyrigg. 

In contrast I think 4-0 flattered them! We could've had 10 easy!

I was probably thinking more of the first half where we were pretty sloppy imo. Second half we looked a lot more comfortable. 

12 hours ago, luggy said:

In a deal that was done a number of years ago Falkirk own everything on the bottom level and the council own everything on the upper level. Not a bad deal for Ffc considering our council tax paid for the stadium.

Falkirk F.C. own the "room" the nursery is in?

3 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:
4 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:
Good result last night and some lovely goals, although I think 4-0 was a tad unfair on the Uni - we took a while to get going and only really got in full control when they tired. Although if it was last season we would've been 1 down in a few minutes and spent the rest of the time valiantly fighting back for a 1-1 draw, so definite improvement there. 
It was my first time seeing the new team this year, was quite impressed with Tapping, who looks to have improved in his year away. The quality is obviously there in the attacking end of the park, just needs a bit more coherence at times. Hopefully another 90 minutes against a team probably of a similar level in Gretna this weekend will help to jel a bit more, before the game against Bonnyrigg. 

In contrast I think 4-0 flattered them! We could've had 10 easy!

I tend to agree (maybe not ten right enough). Edin Uni caused The Shire a few problems in the first twenty minutes, but tired really quickly. Thereafter was one-way traffic

27 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I tend to agree (maybe not ten right enough). Edin Uni caused The Shire a few problems in the first twenty minutes, but tired really quickly. Thereafter was one-way traffic

Probably students awe still pished from the weekend and ran oot o steam 🤣

6 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Probably students awe still pished from the weekend and ran oot o steam 🤣

Edinburgh University has lost quite a few experienced players this season and others are still not back; it’s also a few weeks until term time and new blood, so the next few weeks will probably see a patched up team and, alas, painful defeats.

15 hours ago, luggy said:

In a deal that was done a number of years ago Falkirk own everything on the bottom level and the council own everything on the upper level. Not a bad deal for Ffc considering our council tax paid for the stadium.

I'm sure they got a cracking deal for the taxpayer as well 🤔

Watched the game last night on shiretv and pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Hats off to all those involved in getting the club out there. Regarding the game I thought we done enough, Edinburgh uni could easily have been 1 up by the time we got our first which would have shifted the dynamic of the game. All 4 goals were great in their own right and we still weren’t anywhere near our best. Tapping, Dishington and Low were all brilliant. 3 points on Saturday is a must again and some more confidence going into the junior cloggers a week on Saturday.

Really excellent performance today from the team, honestly could have been more. Hopefully we'll carry that performance into Bonnyrigg next week.

You fear a bit for Gretna this season after that performance, especially if they persevere with that absolute walloper of a manager

Thought we looked solid today. I absolutely love the fact that we are a team built from the back. The score line today still flattered Gretna and i’d say that since coming down to this league that’s the worst performance from any team i’ve seen. Think they’re in for a really hard season

Finally got a chance to discuss Saturdays obliteration in detail. Got to comment again on ShireTV, what a great addition to football at this level and the quality is superb. Would be great if they could add action replays as I spent most of the game rewinding to rewatch some of the pearlers that we scored. That was a much more complete performance and for the first time this season we were clinical, even then we still missed some sitters. As ShireyPirey said above the fact that we’re built from the back makes us so much more stable and the dominance of our midfield allows our centre half’s to make marauding runs forward. The sight of big tapping running at you must be a frightful experience. Further up the field I thought Dishington and Low were excellent again. Miller had a great 90 mins and should of had 4/5 goals in all honesty. The one player I’ve been critical of so far has been Barr, his crossing and backchatting has had me screaming this season but on Saturday he was superb. Matty Flynn is also coming onto a game and you can see his confidence building. I think the most important fact we learned from the game though was scoring in the first 10 minutes and having the game put to bed by half time. The longer teams stay in it the more difficult it’s going to be. All of this is happening with us missing 4/5 players aswell which can only be a positive.

However, we need to be honest Gretna were pretty woeful and I do fear for them as the season progresses. They were quite a gang and didn’t seem to have any game plan or ability when they did have the ball. I do hope things can change for them, I don’t actually mind Gretna but this is football at a low level. I’m sure all of their fans would take a season of 9-1s to relive the joys they had in the mid 2000s. In the same way that watching the shire play the way they did on Saturday almost makes up for the Saturdays at Peterhead and Elgin getting spanked 6-0 and the like.

Saturday will obviously be a bigger test and will give a greater indication of where both teams are so far. We’re more than capable of beating Bonnyrigg handsomely but NDP is going to be one of the more difficult venues to play this year. This will be the last Saturday I’m down in England so hoping for one last winning ShireTV experience.