The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Really disappointed in the result today, obviously, but I think on balance the better team won on the day. As per the last few weeks we didn't get going until after half time, except here BSC were on the ball enough to get a bigger lead. 

Still, it was good seeing the lads in a final, and hopefully today will spur them on to achieve more next season. And at least you didn't have to hear the cheers of the other fans at full time to rub it in ;)

Congrats to BSC and their board of directors. The best team won on the day. Hopefully the victory will lead you to building your fanbase. You might double it from 5 to 10. Honestly what is the point in clubs like them? Holding back the prospects of this league

Give us peace Gogsy. BSC outplayed us on the day, even with 10 men. But how embarrassing is it to win a cup and only have your friends and family to celebrate with you? It was like watching an u14 game lol

11 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

But how embarrassing is it to win a cup and only have your friends and family to celebrate with you? It was like watching an u14 game lol

Not as embarrassing as the "patter" from the Shire fans  behind the goals.

On the pitch the best team won, could easily have been four or five by half time. Shire came back into it second half but didn't really benefit from the soft sending off and aside from the deflected goal could only muster a header off the outside of the post at the death.

Don't understand why Ashe wasn't playing in a Cup Final - cutting off your nose to spite your face and Rodgers was a complete passenger for the entire game as BSC marshalled him totally out of the game. Ure getting booked within 20 seconds of coming on was so Derek.

Piss poor organisation as well, anyone could walk in free of charge via an open gate at the Peffermill complex end rather than walk round to the pay gate - counted about 75 folk coming in that way so although the crowd was given as 350 or so I'd think there was probably about another 100 on top of that.

8 minutes ago, drs said:

On the pitch the best team won, could easily have been four or five by half time. Shire came back into it second half but didn't really benefit from the soft sending off and aside from the deflected goal could only muster a header off the outside of the post at the death.

Don't understand why Ashe wasn't playing in a Cup Final - cutting off your nose to spite your face and Rodgers was a complete passenger for the entire game as BSC marshalled him totally out of the game. Ure getting booked within 20 seconds of coming on was so Derek.

Piss poor organisation as well, anyone could walk in free of charge via an open gate at the Peffermill complex end rather than walk round to the pay gate - counted about 75 folk coming in that way so although the crowd was given as 350 or so I'd think there was probably about another 100 on top of that.

I seen that was gutted that I had paid in when I noticed:lol: On a serious note your right someone should have shut the gate.

Also a massive que to get into the tearoom at half time I like Peffermill but you do wonder if its really geared up for a cup final and a crowd.

13 minutes ago, drs said:

I was surprised to see that as well. Not exactly high security on the fence behind the dugouts, you could probably sneak under there if you were particularly determined.

To be honest in general I didn't really like Peffermill as a venue for the final overall (bitterness at the result not counting in that, btw)

As a neutral fan in the league, I think they have been very good on the pitch. Can I ask you in what way is it holding up the prospects of the league?

Apologies, that was to Craigiemack.

Edited by The Informer

42 minutes ago, AlansHotBath said:

Not exactly high security on the fence behind the dugouts, you could probably sneak under there if you were particularly determined.

It's a relief flood plain so the fencing is jacked up a foot or so to allow water movement. You'd have to commando flat on your belly to get under it.

(Also why you have to go up steps then down steps to pavilion - that's the flood barrier, IIRC).

3 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:

Really disappointed in the result today, obviously, but I think on balance the better team won on the day. As per the last few weeks we didn't get going until after half time, except here BSC were on the ball enough to get a bigger lead. 

Still, it was good seeing the lads in a final, and hopefully today will spur them on to achieve more next season. And at least you didn't have to hear the cheers of the other fans at full time to rub it in ;)

Perhaps you couldn't hear us cheer but at least when we scored we shut the 3 guys up behind our goals calling us c@nts.

Danny Ashe has a torn hamstring!

Perhaps you couldn't hear us cheer but at least when we scored we shut the 3 guys up behind our goals calling us c@nts.

Bsc were by far the better team today but the truth is you have more players than fans.

Bsc were by far the better team today but the truth is you have more players than fans.
Absolutely right on both counts. Even when Bsc were down to 10 men we were never able to dominate the game. As to number of fans........ there's my estimate.

Pitch was like a bowling green but other than that, a poor venue for a final. 

Nearest bar is at the rugby and hockey grounds, which was shut.....despite me phoning and emailing them, during the week, to ask if it could be opened. Something that you might think the committee in charge of choosing the venue, could organise. The Grey Horse was a fair hike from the ground and required a taxi for the less able supporters. 

It's a great wee tea room at the ground, although some people in the queue were losing the will to live! 

It was fortunate that the rain wasn't any heavier as the ground is wide open and you couldn't fit everyone into that wee stand. Just a pity that they didn't just stick football goals up at the rugby ground, that would be the ideal venue. 

Despite everything it was still an enjoyable day out. Hurdles are there to be overcome.

BSC are a strong side, experienced and streetwise, so we knew it would be a tough game. Getting the second goal before half time was the killer. Shire had their chances in the first half too. McCauachie fluffed his shot when it was easier to score and Rodgers shot went wide of the open goal, following a poor kick out by the 'keeper. 

Shire came out in the second half a different team and began asking more questions. Brisbane's deflected goal came after a period of pressure and a real stramash (as Arthur Montford might say) in the BSC goalmouth. 

An equaliser almost came seconds later, following a great piece of football, when Brisbane just failed to connect 2 yards out, from a McCafferty cut back. 

The sending off, moments later, was hardly "soft". Brisbane had a clear run on goal from 30 yards out before he was hauled down. I'd have preferred him to have run on and picked his spot for 2-2, playing against 11 men than 2-1 down against 10. 

BSC were still very much in it having 10 men, with Shire pushing forward it left us more open at the back, which is all the more dangerous with a player such as Martin Grehan leading the line. 

Required a bit of last gasp defending and a world class save from Jamie Barclay to keep the game alive. 

The closing stages, as you would expect, consisted of long balls into the danger area and defensive clearances. A last minute corner almost sent us into overtime. Ure's perfect delivery met the head of Rodgers only for his header to crash off the post. Had that gone in there was only going to be one winner. 

The BSC first half performance proved to be enough and they were worthy winners. 

Regarding Danny Ashe, his attitude since signing for Kelty has been 100%. He pulled a hamstring last week, against Spartans and wasn't fit enough to play but as the League only hand out 18 medals, he was named on the bench, in order to receive a, well deserved, recognition. 

Danny Ashe got a lot of stick when he joined Kelty, like any player moving to a rival team would. Andy Rodgers and Derek Ure couldn’t speak highly enough of him and he gave his all in the games he played after announcing. He’ll be a good signing for Kelty and one that will be underrated because of the high profile others.

2 hours ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

Will score goals if he gets the service. Not the kind of striker who will chase the ball into the corner, likes it through the middle. 

Linlithgow have struggled with goalscoring strikers kelbie and watt being an example. Coyne is the top man and it'seems getting someone to fit in with him 

22 hours ago, marcelo said:

East Stirling’s what do you make of Ross Allum?

Done well for us I felt overall was a shame we couldn't get him a trophy before he moved on, Anything from 18 yards 99.9% will be in the back of net.

long balls well that's a different story ….. ;)  but wish him all the very best