The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Jamie Barclay's the new club captain.

Players make decisions at this time of year when sport approaches the close season. After his bro signed a new deal with Glasgow Warriors a couple of weeks back I was thinking that Danny staying at Shire would be a nice double but alas it wasn't to be lol.

Still a few months yet but I'll wish him all the best when he does go. The Ashe clan are all decent folk. I'll miss blethering to his faither George (and the odd time brother Adam) at the games though.

2 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:

Exactly mate!

Cant blame him for probably at least doubling his wages. Not a surprise as Kelty need to strengthen their defence, I would imagine there will be a bit of movement amongst the players in the top half.

Potentially a big gun in Bonnyrigg coming up if the odds play out so there will be lots of competition for top players.

13 minutes ago, gogsy said:

So Ashe becomes another player who will have played for both clubs, joining such luminaries like Neil McCabe, Jordyn Sheerin, Craig Winter and eh Billy McNeill (what a player he was :)) Didn't Campbell Durie play for East Stirling as well?

Campbell had a spell wit h the Shire.

Did Billy McNeil play at Kelty too? 

Had a great first season for Shire, banging in the goals and won the Supporters club player of the year. Unfortunately he broke his leg towards the end of the season and I don't think he was quite the same player after that, so we punted him off to Falkirk, our plucky little neighbours. 

I remember our player of the year shield carried a bit of a jinx with it, as all the previous winners were either, freed, badly injured, retired etc. I had the honour of presenting the trophy, that year. After giving a big build up to the top three nominations, academy awards style, I announced..... "and the winner is..........the guy in the stookie!" 

5 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Hope he’s decent lol , we are needing another quality defender to let Errol get back up top 

I think he would be a good signing for almost any team in the league tbh. Solid at the back and pretty good at getting the ball forward with long passes, which I suppose is not Kelty's main concern overall but still a good quality to have. And he's able to play anywhere in the back four.

He's shite mate, we'll take him back if you want.

Did Billy McNeil play at Kelty too? 
Had a great first season for Shire, banging in the goals and won the Supporters club player of the year. Unfortunately he broke his leg towards the end of the season and I don't think he was quite the same player after that, so we punted him off to Falkirk, our plucky little neighbours. 
I remember our player of the year shield carried a bit of a jinx with it, as all the previous winners were either, freed, badly injured, retired etc. I had the honour of presenting the trophy, that year. After giving a big build up to the top three nominations, academy awards style, I announced..... "and the winner is..........the guy in the stookie!" 
Aye you did.
About two games later: "See ye later Billy."

Good game yesterday, with a share of the spoils deserved for both teams. Shire having more clear cut chances but playing a Gala side that included 17 year old Charlie Green making his first start. Having a strong bench being the difference, with Shire able to make vital substitutions but Gala only having Kieran Ainslie and 16 year old Declan Bell on the Bench, with neither featuring. As I said, good game played in the right spirit.

BOOM!

New Funding East Stirlingshire FC

East Stirlingshire’s Board of Directors have secured significant backing for a player’s budget next season as they look to push for a return to the SPFL after their historic relegation in 2016.

After a season plagued with inconsistency and managerial change the board, in recent months, have added international businessman Harry Bell, Asian business associate Sherman Lam, Local businessman and Shire fan Bob Worgan and Falkirk based bookkeeping firm owner David McCready to the Board of Directors.

Harry Bell international businessman and lifelong Shire investor has worked diligently for the last two years to secure this major investment for the Shire.

The move will ensure Derek Ure and Andy Rodgers have the necessary funding to build not only a title winning squad for next season, but one that can realistically return the club to the SPFL.
Despite their difficulties in recent years the club have never waned in their ambition to return to the SPFL amid constant speculation that the club wouldn’t survive the challenging financial constraints relegation brought with it.
It is hoped that the funding will also buck a worrying trend for Shire that has saw them finish second and fourth having struggled to adapt to the demands of the Lowland League. This season hasn’t faired any better for Shire. Nine losses in the league, more than the past two seasons combined, have left them 30 points adrift of leaders East Kilbride in sixth place-stats that are hardly indicative of a side with title ambitions. However, Shire’s recent purple patch, which has saw them go seven unbeaten, has demonstrated not only the current underachievement of the team but also the potential of a club still yearning to be amongst the 42 elite clubs in the SPFL.

Shire’s return to their ‘spiritual home’ in Falkirk, made possible by partnering with Falkirk FC, may not have translated to instant success on the pitch but it has provided a vital platform for the club to reassess and plan for the future.

While Ure and Rodgers continue to assess the current squad and its capabilities they have also been active in targeting and securing players for next season, although the club is yet to reveal any details as to who they have been watching.

Shire have also announced plans to run a reserve team for next season in an effort to increase the squad size and intensify competition for places.

Shire’s announcement is sure to renew optimism among fans as they prepare to embark on a fourth season watching their side play in the Lowland League.