The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

7 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:

So if you're going to pitch in your opinions I'd check your facts before you run your mouth. We finished 3rd two seasons on the bounce in Division 3, so correct me if I'm wrong please, that would drop that figure to at least 23 gash seasons in the last 25.

Plus, in this league we are considered one of the bigger teams and are expected to do well, so being disappointed when we don't win should be expected.

Nobody is disputing your going to be one of the big boys.....It just appears that your going to turn into condescending posters along with it

Nobody is disputing your going to be one of the big boys.....It just appears that your going to turn into condescending posters along with it

I know, but again, if you had taken the time to look at my previous posts then you'll see that you're tarring everybody with the same brush.

At every level there are teams that you should expect to beat and others that will give you a good game. Personally I dont think we should've lost on Saturday as it was a pretty even and boring game, but that's football!

I think they're more annoyed at the EK fans running their mouth as if they are world beaters.

I hope that this isn't going to drag on and have people think 'aw here come the greetin faced shire fans' cause that's not the case. We've had a lot more to cry about over the years! Everybody we've met so far have been brilliant, it's just forgetting about that minority that will add strain to what is a really good, friendly league!

I am from East Kilbride but I am not affiliated with EKFC. However a lot of talk coming from them as being very confident of winning the league by a large margin. I'd be surprised if any other team in this league has a bigger budget. EK have outbid league one clubs for players and if they don't gain promotion it would be seen as a massive failure. I haven't read much of the posts on here but it seems there is a lot of grievance towards the manager. From an outsider my opinion is he comes across as very arrogant and thinks he's big time.

In the interests of balance I would say that I haven't heard any such talk (of winning the league by a large margin).  EK finished 5th last season and lost their top scorer (Jack Smith) to Stenhousemuir and one of their best midfielders (Anton Brady) to Queens Park).

Monies gained from the Scottish cup run should have given them a large boost in terms of trying to bring in better players but let's be honest they haven't exactly signed Lionel Messi.  I personally wouldn't see failure to get promotion as a disaster.  It's tough to win the LL then beat HL winners over two legs and then beat a team already in league 2 but we've now seen (courtest of EC) that it's possible.

The clip posted via Youtube by EKFCtv was the first time I've heard the new manager speak and he didn't appear to cross any lines in terms of disrespecting his opponents.  

I personally expected East Stirlingshire to be favourites for the title although a big part of that feeling was keeping together a squad who have been used to playing at league 2 level.  There was little between the teams on Saturday as there wasn't in most of our games against Edinburgh City last season and at this level you only have to lose a couple of key players and you're vulnerable to anyone.  That in essence is one of the reasons I've been enjoying the LL so much albeit EC ran away with the title last season.

In the interests of balance I would say that I haven't heard any such talk (of winning the league by a large margin).  EK finished 5th last season and lost their top scorer (Jack Smith) to Stenhousemuir and one of their best midfielders (Anton Brady) to Queens Park).

Monies gained from the Scottish cup run should have given them a large boost in terms of trying to bring in better players but let's be honest they haven't exactly signed Lionel Messi.  I personally wouldn't see failure to get promotion as a disaster.  It's tough to win the LL then beat HL winners over two legs and then beat a team already in league 2 but we've now seen (courtest of EC) that it's possible.

The clip posted via Youtube by EKFCtv was the first time I've heard the new manager speak and he didn't appear to cross any lines in terms of disrespecting his opponents.  

I personally expected East Stirlingshire to be favourites for the title although a big part of that feeling was keeping together a squad who have been used to playing at league 2 level.  There was little between the teams on Saturday as there wasn't in most of our games against Edinburgh City last season and at this level you only have to lose a couple of key players and you're vulnerable to anyone.  That in essence is one of the reasons I've been enjoying the LL so much albeit EC ran away with the title last season.

4 of our starting 11 played with us last year, one of which a keeper who played half a season and another who was basically a reserve player and never played. Hardly keeping a league 2 squad together, is it?

17 hours ago, The_Judge said:

The players they have brought in show they have cash to splash. They lost 2 players but have replaced them with better players and far more depth. Gibbons has came directly from Full time football and could comfortably play league one football. Proctor knocked back and offer from Airdrie to sign. Marenghi, Winters, McNeil, Vitoria, Capuano, Hughes, Strachan to name a few are all very good signings for this level and wouldn't have came cheap. To hold on to Winter, Russell and McGinley also wouldn't have been cheap. The manager has came across arrogant in my opinion but rightly so as he has by far the best squad in the league and the biggest budget. I know for a fact they expect to win the league comfortably and then take it from there. If they are looking likely for the title they will strengthen even further in January.

He will lose his job if the league is not won.

16 hours ago, matty0310 said:

4 of our starting 11 played with us last year, one of which a keeper who played half a season and another who was basically a reserve player and never played. Hardly keeping a league 2 squad together, is it?

Apologies, I meant that pre-season I was expecting you to be favourites IF you could keep your squad together.  As you say that's not been the case and probably explains why you haven't had a better start.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 13:06, ekfootball said:

The players they have brought in show they have cash to splash. They lost 2 players but have replaced them with better players and far more depth. Gibbons has came directly from Full time football and could comfortably play league one football. Proctor knocked back and offer from Airdrie to sign. Marenghi, Winters, McNeil, Vitoria, Capuano, Hughes, Strachan to name a few are all very good signings for this level and wouldn't have came cheap. To hold on to Winter, Russell and McGinley also wouldn't have been cheap. The manager has came across arrogant in my opinion but rightly so as he has by far the best squad in the league and the biggest budget. I know for a fact they expect to win the league comfortably and then take it from there. If they are looking likely for the title they will strengthen even further in January.

He will lose his job if the league is not won.

I am led to believe its still a very modest playing budget, half the team that beat ES were regulars from last season, McGinley, Russell, Howie, McBride, Winter. EK seem to have found a winning way, with their Manager now having won 17 out of 18 games, 17 in a row after losing on first night in job, so even at the back end of last season they were finding ways to win.  Seem to have copied the Edinburgh City style of winning every week when others teams are taking points off each-other. 

Reliably informed that most of the players mentioned are only on expenses, with some of the higher profile players doing ok.  Also heard they managed to get one or two players jobs, which removes need for any football wages, so they are boxing clever, and good luck to them.