The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

John Souttar is a dumpling and will amount to nothing.  If I'm proven wrong this season I will give you my 'free pie' coupon that I got with my season ticket.

Nothing? He's already surpassed that. Enjoy a pie on me. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a purely financial point of view there is an argument that with a reasonable percentage of any sell on fee, we can make more out of taking the £500k now. If he turns out to be good then with the ridiculous transfer fees down there we could make more from a percentage than anyone would pay a Scottish club for directly.

John Souttar will become a good defender at this level, Harry will become significantly better and unless there's a financial need to sell him, United will be making a mistake

7 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

If Andy Robertson plays five more games for Hull then United get £750,000; which would solve the defensive problems

Unfortunately Hull dont have 5 more games before the end of August and with our record of realising add ons I wouldnt be surprised to see Robertson suffering some sort of injury in 4 games time.

I suspect the problem in getting a new centre half (or 2) and a new forward isn't primarily financial but rather there simply aren't players available who McKinnon thinks are good enough to substantially improve the team and who would be willing to come to the club. Obviously with more money the club would be able to bring in a couple of mercenaries but I'm not convinced that's really the best way forward.

NB: Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that more money wouldn't help, just that it's not the panacea which some seem to imagine. Mo' money, mo' problems.

Harry Souttar can't get a game ahead of Donaldson. Just let that sink in.

In all seriousness if he is not in the first team on Saturday you would have to think he is being protected for a move. 

Whilst he is not the finished article by a long way I would disagree he is not ready for first team football in the championship.

It is really good to hear this. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Although I wanted him fit to play us a week on Saturday for one of our players to do the damage instead but I suppose this is the next best thing.. :)

8 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

So if we get 500k for Souttar jnr and 750k for Andy we could easily bring in about 5 out of contract players. Decent ones ideally. 

Good news.

I don't think we need 5 more players tbh.

8 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I suspect the problem in getting a new centre half (or 2) and a new forward isn't primarily financial but rather there simply aren't players available who McKinnon thinks are good enough to substantially improve the team and who would be willing to come to the club. Obviously with more money the club would be able to bring in a couple of mercenaries but I'm not convinced that's really the best way forward.

NB: Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that more money wouldn't help, just that it's not the panacea which some seem to imagine. Mo' money, mo' problems.

I'd be surprised if it's not largely financial.  I'm happy to think that McKinnon is setting a standard for the type/quality of player he wants to bring in but I simply refuse to believe that there are not better options for centre half out there that we could attract with the appropriate financial package.

54 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

It is really good to hear this. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Although I wanted him fit to play us a week on Saturday for one of our players to do the damage instead but I suppose this is the next best thing.. :)

Bitter wee team attitude.

Archived