The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

The alternative is that he turns out to be exceptional and we've sold him on the cheap. It really depends on how much is being offered and how the money is spent. A couple of hundred grand could be easily squandered without improving the team at all.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Souttar is seemingly miles away from first team standard. Dosent bother me too much if he goes to be honest. If he can't get into the first team ahead of the double Ds then I won't be devastated. Especially if we can get a couple of players in on that dosh and the standard sell on clause and appearance money deal that works so well... Good luck to the guy.

Selling Souttar now is incredibly short sighted. A couple hundred grand now can easily be a mill or two in the next few years. 

What we should be doing is signing an experienced cb and playing him beside Souttar. 

It really can't get any worse than what we have at the minute. 

Only a fucking moron would sell a young 6ft 8 monster for 6 figures.

Souttar is not ready for the 1st team. He might be a big lad but he doesn't use his height or weight to his advantage. He isn't aggressive enough either if we can get money for him take it and invest in players that are ready now.

1 hour ago, peeeel said:

Selling Souttar now is incredibly short sighted. A couple hundred grand now can easily be a mill or two in the next few years. 

What we should be doing is signing an experienced cb and playing him beside Souttar. 

It really can't get any worse than what we have at the minute. 

Only a fucking moron would sell a young 6ft 8 monster for 6 figures.

People had similar opinions of John and look how that turned out.

In an ideal world we would be pairing him alongside an experienced leader at the back but if we need to sell Souttar in order to bring in better defensive options in order to improve our chances of promotion then a quick fix is a better option than a potential future. As things stand he is unable to displace 2 of the worst centre halfs we have had in a long time and while he has the physical attributes to potentially be a commanding figure at the back there is no guarantee that it will work out that way. We need to bring reinforcements in defense and up front and we need to do it now.

Selling Souttar would be disappointing as he has the potential to be a monster but he isnt ready to play week in week out in the first team.  Regardless of his size, he wont physically and mentally grow into his frame for a couple of years.  This is the price of relegation in that we have to make the hard decision of whether to sell one of our top prospects in order to bring in a quick fix (in the form of a first team ready CH and first choice striker) which could see us back in the top league at the first time of asking.

If we sold and the money wasnt reinvested then serious questions would have to be asked given that we are clearly labouring with the two diddies playing at the back at present and a complete lack of options up front.

2 hours ago, skinny arab said:

People had similar opinions of John and look how that turned out.

In an ideal world we would be pairing him alongside an experienced leader at the back but if we need to sell Souttar in order to bring in better defensive options in order to improve our chances of promotion then a quick fix is a better option than a potential future. As things stand he is unable to displace 2 of the worst centre halfs we have had in a long time and while he has the physical attributes to potentially be a commanding figure at the back there is no guarantee that it will work out that way. We need to bring reinforcements in defense and up front and we need to do it now.

John didn't get an experienced partner and still has plenty potential I'm really not sure what you mean?

10 minutes ago, peeeel said:

John didn't get an experienced partner and still has plenty potential I'm really not sure what you mean?

John Souttar is a dumpling and will amount to nothing.  If I'm proven wrong this season I will give you my 'free pie' coupon that I got with my season ticket.

If we were middle of the table in the Premiership I would be urging our board to hang on to prospects to give them a chance and maybe see how they turn out. However we won't get promoted from this league with prospects, we need experience. If selling Souttar funds some additional signings then selling him for a decent fee can't really be knocked back.

21 minutes ago, bobbycoxblue said:

What does this solve ?
Mixu spent a fortune and we sent you down... hard work , dedication and team spirit is the key to promotion...

I suppose. If you want to be the best and you want beat the rest then dedication is what you need.

roy-castle-dedication.png

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

John Souttar is a dumpling and will amount to nothing. 

I agree with this. He really isn't tough enough, big enough, brave enough or strong enough to be a good centre half.

His brother may well be, one day. If we can make 500k on him as suggested earlier then that's a good wad to bring in much needed quality now. John could have made us 600k from Sunderland or whoever but we got 180k and he got a move to Hearts.  Harry could go the same way. If not and he stays we'd probably be looking at him being a regular next season maybe? 

Archived