Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Just now, TavTastic said:

Yeah I fully agree on the mismanagement. Problem was the hugely expensive Pedro disaster. Although I think you are doing Gerrard a great disservice here. Getting through a full set of qualifiers twice in a row was a big achievement and his European record is unarguably strong. 

Last season I think he done what I expected, there were no real big scalps in Europe. The results against Porto were impressive, I'll give him that.

Just now, Ross. said:

Last season I think he done what I expected, there were no real big scalps in Europe. The results against Porto were impressive, I'll give him that.

Yeah that's fair although the consistency of results in qualifiers is another factor in his favour. Very common for Scottish sides to slip up in qualifiers against weaker sides. Better Rangers/Celtic teams in the past have done that too.

1 minute ago, TavTastic said:

Yeah that's fair although the consistency of results in qualifiers is another factor in his favour. Very common for Scottish sides to slip up in qualifiers against weaker sides. Better Rangers/Celtic teams in the past have done that too.

I suppose there is a deep irony in that the results have been carried by a Pedro signing.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I suppose there is a deep irony in that the results have been carried by a Pedro signing.

Pedro's cheaper signings of £1m for Jack/Morelos much better than the millions he wasted on Pena, Herrera, et al.

Edited by TavTastic

1 hour ago, TavTastic said:

Anyone with a logical mind can see the strides forward we've made under Gerrard. 

Signing over 30 players and not seeing forward strides would be a problem for most clubs.
If Slippy G doesn't win silverware this season will the board trust him for another go or will he go back down the road with his tail between his legs.

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Signing over 30 players and not seeing forward strides would be a problem for most clubs.
If Slippy G doesn't win silverware this season will the board trust him for another go or will he go back down the road with his tail between his legs.

Are you suggesting the use of financial resource to sign players generates an expectation of success?

Interesting idea.

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Depends on a number of factors including European results and how tight the league was. Just like in 2010-2011 when Celtic stuck with Lennon because of the high points total and how close he came to winning the league that year.

10 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

Depends on a number of factors including European results and how tight the league was. Just like in 2010-2011 when Celtic stuck with Lennon because of the high points total and how close he came to winning the league that year.

Getting to the European group stages was more important than any silverware in Scotland given sevco's financial back ground. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Are you suggesting the use of financial resource to sign players generates an expectation of success?

Interesting idea.

These players maybe have more football knowledge.

3 hours ago, TavTastic said:

If you actually think that we are "sleepwalking into oblivion" with a wage to turnover ratio of 63% then you really need to do some research because you don't know what you are talking about. I don't think you do actually believe that incidentally.

That actually seemed quite a fair point to me, on the face of it. There's a lot of talk of quite substantial losses, and loans being converted to equity at the market price from when there were far lower losses and very little in the way of loans - which superficially might tend to indicate that the club is getting some "cheap money". That seems quite important, but accounting ratios are also important (although this is a very football-specific one, given the very high per-employee rates).

I tried to check the 2011 position for Rangers, for comparison, but could only find a copy of the 2010 accounts. In that year, with a turnover of £56.3m, wages ("total payroll costs") were at 50% of turnover, and the Finance Director seemed quite happy about that.

So I suppose it's at least possible to be heading for liquidation at 63% wages-to-turnover. It may be necessary to take other factors into account, such as year-on-year profit/losses, in order to rule it out.

I find the finances interesting for two reasons:

1. There are actually facts to be taken into account from the audited accounts and elsewhere; but
  2. It's impossible to second-guess how King the directors will play it, and so any predictions based upon the facts are likely to be confounded.

tl;dr It's all very confusing.

56 minutes ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Absolutely hilarious.  

The Rangers 2012 fans still let their club die.  They all collectively held a shovel, allowed it to be turfed over and have carried on like nothing ever happened, all whilst the 1872 Rangers FC lay screaming in the soil.  

None of them actually care about the club. It's a means to compensate for their own lack of self-esteem. The minute it looks as if it can't service that need, they aren't interested.