Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Just now, Dele said:

I'm sorry, can you tell me at what cut off of 'senior games played' I can come back and re-post my previous statement? 

My point really was that raving about a 28 year old with significant flaws and is not likely to ever change is quite different to a guy who has looked so promising in such a small space of time. Frimpong will undoubtedly have shortcomings but time and attitude is very much on his side. The same cant be be said about Tavernier.

11 minutes ago, gannonball said:

My point really was that raving about a 28 year old with significant flaws and is not likely to ever change is quite different to a guy who has looked so promising in such a small space of time. Frimpong will undoubtedly have shortcomings but time and attitude is very much on his side. The same cant be be said about Tavernier.

I wasn't raving about Tavernier. I simply pointed out that Celtic's right back has the same flaws in his game but he's being talked up all over the press. 

He too will have to improve dramatically if he's to be anythi g other than Celtic's Tavernier. I concede he has time on his side to do so. 

12 hours ago, Dele said:

Frimpong that has been getting raved about at Celtic is exactly the same as Tavernier. 

I’ve only seen Frimpong 4 times and I’ve obviously only one Sky/BT but I think he looks really poor.

The media love him because of his ‘Oh my days’ comment but in the same game, he was sent off due to his poor positioning and could have cost his team.

He’s only a young laddie so can still develop but I’ve just not seen a lot from him.

To say Frimpong looks poor is mental.

He might (does) need to work on the nuts n bolts of defending, but good grief, he's played first team football for about 3 minutes.

As for Tav: a demon from the spot, great going forward but too often caught out defensively to be a truly top rank player.

James Tavernier seems a popular choice of hill for folk who know jack shit about football to die on.

That boy is going nowhere near an established EPL club and might strike it lucky to get a berth on the bench for some yoyo shambles club. Maybe he can join his brother at Boro.

He is decent, not brilliant at going forward. However he isnt just one of those "better at attacking than defending" modern fullbacks. He is a defensive liability and no top team will suffer that let alone pay money for the privilege. He is an asset in a league where more often than not he is attacking against inferior players, and not having to defend much. Thats the best he will ever be. Doing well as a flat track bully.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

To say Frimpong looks poor is mental.

He might (does) need to work on the nuts n bolts of defending, but good grief, he's played first team football for about 3 minutes.

As for Tav: a demon from the spot, great going forward but too often caught out defensively to be a truly top rank player.

Like I said, it’s only based on 4 games.

Hopefully the lad goes on to have a great career.

Tavernier suffers from Joe hart syndrome, looks good with a decent team around him but if he's actually relied on to do his part in a poorer team he will be found out and spend the rest of his days as back up.
When the rangers fans wanted shot of him it was for that reason, he was being found out. The team his had investment and improved so it's less obvious.
Also helps having the mad shagger in goals.

Tavernier suffers from Joe hart syndrome, looks good with a decent team around him but if he's actually relied on to do his part in a poorer team he will be found out and spend the rest of his days as back up.
When the rangers fans wanted shot of him it was for that reason, he was being found out. The team his had investment and improved so it's less obvious.
Also helps having the mad shagger in goals.

Pretty much agree with this, but you could say the same about so many players all around the world. A good manager will find all the pieces to the jigsaw and some players weaknesses will be covered by the other players strengths and/or tactics deployed. Look at TAA for example. You could argue he’s perhaps the best full back in the EPL, but if you were to put him in the Burnley side playing as a meat-n-tatties right back I think he’d be well found out.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Any confirmation Andy Kings loan spell is over yet?

Andy King's loan spell is over.  Bit of an odd one.  You'd have thought he'd have been excellent for us but barely featured so I assume he was crap in training.  Maybe just couldn't be arsed?