Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

I don't recall Kellman playing against us last season but had a look and he played for 60 minutes in Sep when we won 4-0.  Was he any good?
BUT I did scan the BBC report for Dec when we drew 1-1 and saw this cracker.  It really belongs in the shite journalism thread:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46416238
To play in excess of 70 minutes with just 10 men against one of the strongest teams in the league gives an indication of the mental strength McIntyre has instilled in his players in a short period of time.

Kallman looked bang average playing in our team but plenty Dees saw something in him.

I remember leaving Dens after the 1-1 game. Thought we’d turned a corner. A great feeling haha.

14 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I'd argue it is if he isn't expected to put in any defensive work.

He'll be a squad player at best for you.

He's never put in any defensive work before and never had a team built around him. It's just your managers fault he never utilised him properly. 

He will pair brilliantly with either Morelos or Defoe. Should be fun to watch for Rangers fans. 

1 hour ago, Dele said:

He's never put in any defensive work before and never had a team built around him. It's just your managers fault he never utilised him properly. 

He will pair brilliantly with either Morelos or Defoe. Should be fun to watch for Rangers fans. 

The Killie team was built around him having a lot of freedom.

Greg Stewart will be a squad player at best. If he is going to be playing week in, week out then they've no chance at winning the title.

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The Killie team was built around him having a lot of freedom.

Greg Stewart will be a squad player at best. If he is going to be playing week in, week out then they've no chance at winning the title.

He's the exact type of player they've needed, a player who can pick apart the teams at the lower end of the table. They dropped far too many points against those teams last season and that's what cost them most in any 'title' tilt. 

Again, just because your own manager failed to utilise him properly doesn't make him a bad player. 

He's the exact type of player they've needed, a player who can pick apart the teams at the lower end of the table. They dropped far too many points against those teams last season and that's what cost them most in any 'title' tilt. 
Again, just because your own manager failed to utilise him properly doesn't make him a bad player. 

He’s a very talented player and one capable of playing at a higher level than Scotland.

However, I sincerely hope his character is better than blaming McInnes for his form with us. You can argue tactics etc and I’m sure there’s an argument to be made about how McInnes utilised him, but he was less than useless more often than not for us, he didn’t even do the basics.

That is attitude and character, pure and simple.

9 minutes ago, Dele said:

Despite having 2 attempts at it. I would suspect Slippy G will have a similar problem.

They dropped the same points against Killie with and without Stewart.
He's not gonna be the messiah and much as I liked him I would never big him up just because he's signed for that club

13 minutes ago, KTID26 said:

I would suspect Slippy G will have a similar problem.

He very well might. It's just tiresome reading Aberdeen fans constantly play down him as a player simply because how poorly he was used up there. 

It's polar opposite to when they refuse any blame on their players when on international duty. It's everyone else's fault, never Aberdeen. 

1 hour ago, Dele said:

He very well might. It's just tiresome reading Aberdeen fans constantly play down him as a player simply because how poorly he was used up there. 

It's polar opposite to when they refuse any blame on their players when on international duty. It's everyone else's fault, never Aberdeen. 

Nobody has said he is a poor player.

His attitude is poor. He turned up for his first season at Aberdeen two stone overweight. Makes no effort to track back. 

Would be interested to see the stats of you are so certain they did better against the top teams than they did the bottom this season as I'm certain that's shite. I'll wait.

Then you post shite at the end as you have no basis for your point.

Aberdeen tried Stewart in all 4 forward positions over a spell of 18 months. He thrived in none. Rangers are not going to give the freedom of the pitch to a 29 year old Greg Stewart who has had 6 good months in the past 3 years, despite how much you loved him at Dundee.

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Nobody has said he is a poor player.

His attitude is poor. He turned up for his first season at Aberdeen two stone overweight. Makes no effort to track back. 

Would be interested to see the stats of you are so certain they did better against the top teams than they did the bottom this season as I'm certain that's shite. I'll wait.

Then you post shite at the end as you have no basis for your point.

Aberdeen tried Stewart in all 4 forward positions over a spell of 18 months. He thrived in none. Rangers are not going to give the freedom of the pitch to a 29 year old Greg Stewart who has had 6 good months in the past 3 years, despite how much you loved him at Dundee.

D6l8fu1.gif.4ea485945bd97d55a1599f4736838096.gif

I was a massive critic of him at Dens, actually. He single handedly won us games and got us to top six the first year we were up. Our midfield was so unbalanced that we conceded a lot of chances and goals but it was Stewart who was slaughtered more than most for his lack of tracking back. 

You are, once more, making things up claiming I've said some thing I haven't. It'd be easier for us both if you stopped doing that. 

Of course it's 'shite' I've posted. As I said, it's never Aberdeen's fault. 

5 minutes ago, Dele said:

I was a massive critic of him at Dens, actually. He single handedly won us games and got us to top six the first year we were up. Our midfield was so unbalanced that we conceded a lot of chances and goals but it was Stewart who was slaughtered more than most for his lack of tracking back. 

You are, once more, making things up claiming I've said some thing I haven't. It'd be easier for us both if you stopped doing that. 

Of course it's 'shite' I've posted. As I said, it's never Aberdeen's fault. 

Posts rangers results against top six and bottom six.

I’m not sure what the point is here.

He chose to join Aberdeen on two separate occasions, so because we didn’t completely build our team around him on two separate occasions we should absolve him of all blame of being shite?

He didn’t fit in our system, we maybe didn’t play to his strengths but we’re not under any obligation to build our team around chubby Greg.

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not sure what the point is here.

He chose to join Aberdeen on two separate occasions, so because we didn’t completely build our team around him on two separate occasions we should absolve him of all blame of being shite?

He didn’t fit in our system, we maybe didn’t play to his strengths but we’re not under any obligation to build our team around chubby Greg.

For me he wouldn’t have gone back if he thought McInnes was that inept at getting the best out of him. He’s going to have to change his attitude if he is going to make any impact at Ibrox though.

He might of been allowed to get away with not tracking back as much at the likes of Dundee and Kilmarnock as he was technically their best player a lot of the time. As you move further up and are no longer the better player so have to do the dog work to to justify being a regular.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

5cbe0fe6461b8_giphy(2).gif.c8ab04dcd2f4aee283393bb6de9e7e35.gif

Admission. Finally. 

Of course you didn't have to build the team around him. Of course he isn't absolved of blame. 

Is it not alarming that you signed a player, twice, that doesn't suit your system? 

6 minutes ago, Dele said:

5cbe0fe6461b8_giphy(2).gif.c8ab04dcd2f4aee283393bb6de9e7e35.gif

Admission. Finally. 

Of course you didn't have to build the team around him. Of course he isn't absolved of blame. 

Is it not alarming that you signed a player, twice, that doesn't suit your system? 

Feel free for a don to correct me but He played wide more in his first spell because they had Christie so next time they had a more central role  marked for him. It’s not as if they chucked back in the same position.

Edited by gannonball

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Feel free for a don to correct me but He played wide more in his first spell because they had Christie so next time they had a more central role  marked for him. It’s not as if they chucked back in the same position.

This time around we played him all across the front. You are indeed correct regarding his first season and playing on the right.