Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

What’s the story here?

Combat 18 (who I don't think exist anymore) and other right wing nut job groups could be found handing out literature at Ibrox. Was a common occurrence.

I just wondered if this was still the case as the head of the Rangers "everyone, anyone" campaign said the club was racist.

2 hours ago, Romeo said:

Combat 18 (who I don't think exist anymore) and other right wing nut job groups could be found handing out literature at Ibrox. Was a common occurrence.

I just wondered if this was still the case as the head of the Rangers "everyone, anyone" campaign said the club was racist.

It still is the case. In fact they recently gave one of them the job of Head of Communications.

On 11/06/2020 at 12:31, Snafu said:

Rangers named as 'right-wing club' in controversial article by Brazilian sports site

Rangers feature alongside Partizan Belgrade, F.C. Hansa Rostock, PSG and Chelsea in the list of clubs that are 'linked to right-wing ideologies'

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-named-right-wing-club-18398948

One of Brazil's most popular news sites have made the controversial claim that Rangers are a 'right-wing club' in a new article.

UOL, which has a Facebook following of over 8 million people in the South American country, published the piece in the sports section of their website today.

Bearing the headline 'Politics on the pitch: 5 more right-wing soccer teams', the article includes the Ibrox club in a list of sides 'linked to right-wing ideologies'.

Rangers feature in the list alongside Partizan Belgrade, F.C. Hansa Rostock in Germany, PSG and Chelsea.

In reference to Rangers, the article notes: "While Celtic has more left-wing ideals and represents Scotland's Catholic community, Rangers are the nation's right wing and Protestant club.

"In general, supporters of the blue team vote for the Conservative Party, defend the United Kingdom as a unified country and are 100% loyal to the authority of Queen Elizabeth.

"With so many political and ideological differences, the "Old Firm", the classic match that sees the two main forces of Scottish football play each other, is usually one of the most explosive derbies in Europe."

The article is a follow-up to from an original article on '5 more right-wing soccer teams' published at the end of May, which featured Lazio, Legia Warsaw, Real Madrid, Beitar Jerusalem and Zenit Saint Petersburg - the team that defeated Rangers in 2008 to lift the UEFA Cup final.

^^^^ I have to say that most of this is absolute bollox but quite funny anyway.

Ho much of it is bollocks?

Just now, Drew Brees said:

Probably the Tory bit, if that had been the case I don't think Labour would have held power in Scotland for so long.

Ah ok. Well if you look at any pro-Tory or anti SNP post online it's almost always full of **** commenting. You get the odd Aberdeen/Hearts/Celtic fan.

Ah ok. Well if you look at any pro-Tory or anti SNP post online it's almost always full of **** commenting. You get the odd Aberdeen/Hearts/Celtic fan.

I think all the Crawfords and Farquhars who sit in the Club Deck would be Tories. The rest in the Copeland more likely working class unionists, so Labour

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Which makes you think if they had learned to vote then the Referendum vote would have been a landslide in favour of ‘No’ and not as close as it was !!

I genuinely find this question quite interesting.

It was actually at a game with us shortly before the referendum, that a big banner urging Rangers fans to vote no was unveiled at Ibrox.  It was met with much applause and cheering.  The cretins who caused trouble in George Square just after the vote were also obviously Rangers fans.  It's also not hard to find all the GSTQ, union flag imagery round the club too.  It's clearly a huge and deliberate part of the club's identity.

And yet, Glasgow voted YES. Glasgow returns SNP MPs, and overtly unionist outfits like the Tories only achieve anything in rural parts.

It simply must be the case that lots of Rangers fans favour independence.  I think the much maligned Bennett on here does for instance.  I can only imagine plenty must find the imagery jarring, but I don't really get how it can all be reconciled.

It is interesting.

I’ve seen a few rangers fans express favourable opinions towards SNP and independence and they have been downright slaughtered by their fellow supporters in what I would describe as an intimidating manner.

Im guessing the everyone anyone campaign will stamp this out.

30 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was actually at a game with us shortly before the referendum, that a big banner urging Rangers fans to vote no was unveiled at Ibrox.  It was met with much applause and cheering.  The cretins who caused trouble in George Square just after the vote were also obviously Rangers fans.  It's also not hard to find all the GSTQ, union flag imagery round the club too.  It's clearly a huge and deliberate part of the club's identity.

And yet, Glasgow voted YES. Glasgow returns SNP MPs, and overtly unionist outfits like the Tories only achieve anything in rural parts.

It simply must be the case that lots of Rangers fans favour independence.  I think the much maligned Bennett on here does for instance.  I can only imagine plenty must find the imagery jarring, but I don't really get how it can all be reconciled.

I worked abroad for a year and knocked about with a rangers fan(l say rangers not sevco because it's that long ago) he was hardcore rangers. We kept in touch through social media mostly when we went our separate ways, to say he campaigned tirelessly for independence is an understatement.. 

It's a puzzler, go to Ibrox draped in a Union Jack singing GSTQ and be a hardened SNP supporter hell bent on Independence...

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ibrox average attendance 40,000  Maybe a quarter are from Ireland that's 30,000 votes not a big deal in the big picture, escpecially when you have the same number of **** (or more) voting the other way. Football teams are not really the be all and end all of things. In a recent post it was pointed out that three times as many people go to church on a sunday as go to a football game on a full card Saturday. 

2 hours ago, Public menace said:

It is interesting.

I’ve seen a few rangers fans express favourable opinions towards SNP and independence and they have been downright slaughtered by their fellow supporters in what I would describe as an intimidating manner.

Im guessing the everyone anyone campaign will stamp this out.

I'm guessing the bigots will stamp everyone anyone out