Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Reasonable signing for 'Rangers'. Interesting the quotes from Wilson re the transfer and Genk working creatively. To me, this would suggest Rangers couldn't afford the £4.5m fee that was agreed upon originally.

I'm hypothesising here but I wouldn't be surprised if, in addition to getting £3m over three years, Genk have added in a very very hefty sell on clause to make up the shortfall.

I'm not suggesting they've done a bad thing by doing that. Merely suggesting that they may have saved money in the short term that will end up costing them more money in the long term.

If Hagi is as good a player as Rangers fans seem to believe he is, he will be there for two seasons, tops. If Genk have inserted sell on clauses at say 50% of any fee Rangers get and perhaps a further large percentage of any sell on clause that Rangers insert into his next sale then the £1.5m they have 'saved' will soon be dwarfed by the money they have to pay Genk from future sales. Perhaps Genk have also insisted that there is a release clause at say £10m meaning Rangers would have no choice but to sell him. In short, there is no way that Genk have simply given up on £1.5m without taking their pound of flesh in the future.

Hagi will merely be looking at Rangers as a stepping stone and not want to be there a minute longer than he has to be.

Then again, short term thinking never did the old Rangers any harm, did it.

15 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
17 hours ago, bennett said:
Hagi has signed and celtic fans are in full outrage mode. 

You've paid for the name - he is not the player his father was.

In fairness, very few players were or are.  His father was absolutely brilliant.

14 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Seen a fucking mutant in something similar to this in my local shop today, it has an 18" rfc logo on the back.  Vomit inducing.

yUpg5W8l.jpg.3aed6b9ad66eff148f6244983e8b88ae.jpg

bit of a cheek putting that on and singing Engerland songs YUK !

I think it if fair to say that Covid-19 has made deals like this easier. I'm hopeful of a couple of players coming to St Mirren that in normal circumstances we would not get. 

Hagi is decent, certainly had one good game, and really that was all he needed in that team to be a star. 

Think we will all just need to wait and see how he does after a pre-season and more games. Braga was standout with 2 goals and an assist - you can’t deny that.

But should we factor into this speculation that press reported Genk paid 8 million euros for him July 2019 - so why would they let him go a year later for around  half?

2 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

If Hagi is as good a player as Rangers fans seem to believe he is, he will be there for two seasons, tops. If Genk have inserted sell on clauses at say 50% of any fee Rangers get and perhaps a further large percentage of any sell on clause that Rangers insert into his next sale then the £1.5m they have 'saved' will soon be dwarfed by the money they have to pay Genk from future sales. Perhaps Genk have also insisted that there is a release clause at say £10m meaning Rangers would have no choice but to sell him. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if there was a sell on clause in exchange for a reduction in the transfer fee.

Wont be anywhere near 50% though.

Yeah, no idea what it will be and to be fair I was just plucking figures from the air. I'd suggest it will be substantial enough though that Genk would be guaranteed to make up at least the £1.5m that the fee has dropped by and as I've said, they may also have insisted on a release clause so that Rangers can't turn down silly money if it comes on offer.

There was also a suggestion that there were plenty other clubs around Europe sniffing around Hagi (I'm aware a lot of this was being drummed up by his agent) who perhaps would've met the fee without the need for sell on clauses. The deal undoubetley suits both clubs at the moment but as I've said, I can't see why Genk would give up the £1.5m without substantial sweeteners.

Wouldn’t surprise me if there was a sell on clause in exchange for a reduction in the transfer fee.
Wont be anywhere near 50% though.

51 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Yeah, no idea what it will be and to be fair I was just plucking figures from the air. I'd suggest it will be substantial enough though that Genk would be guaranteed to make up at least the £1.5m that the fee has dropped by and as I've said, they may also have insisted on a release clause so that Rangers can't turn down silly money if it comes on offer.

There was also a suggestion that there were plenty other clubs around Europe sniffing around Hagi (I'm aware a lot of this was being drummed up by his agent) who perhaps would've met the fee without the need for sell on clauses. The deal undoubetley suits both clubs at the moment but as I've said, I can't see why Genk would give up the £1.5m without substantial sweeteners.

Agreed.

Its being reported in the Romanian media that Rangers pad £1m for the loan deal back in January. Its possible that, due to the loan not being completed, Genk agreed to waive some of the transfer fee and also request a sell on clause.

Agreed.
Its being reported in the Romanian media that Rangers pad £1m for the loan deal back in January. Its possible that, due to the loan not being completed, Genk agreed to waive some of the transfer fee and also request a sell on clause.
Sounds fairly sensible. I've only really seen him in the 15 minutes he got against us at Ibrox and can't really judge him on that. Seems a good technical player but from what I've heard the European games perhaps suited him more.

3 hours ago, thepundit said:

Agreed.

Why didn't sevco just give Celtic the money and miss the middle man out.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

3 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:
On 27/05/2020 at 20:48, tree house tam said:
Seen a fucking mutant in something similar to this in my local shop today, it has an 18" rfc logo on the back.  Vomit inducing.
yUpg5W8l.jpg.3aed6b9ad66eff148f6244983e8b88ae.jpg

Is that not an old Morton shirt?

It's close enough...

OIP.qNkHCi8lmpzNCSeLgmL8BAHaFs?pid=Api&rs=1