Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

8 hours ago, Tartantony said:

Why?

You're constantly moaning about people supporting the OF and depriving the wee teams of local supporters but when an OF fan decides to support a local team instead of the OF you decide they're doing it wrong.

You're all over the place again (just like your attendances argument).

I was only kidding with that bit Tony.

It's great that you've seen some sort of light regarding your local team.  I see a loathing of the OF as an essential component of true diddidom though.

Such a loathing is not at all irrational.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Have Rangers put out a statement apologising to Steve Clarke and condemning the sectarian abuse he received yet?

I havent noticed............................tbf, I have been too excited waiting for Kris Boyds one backing up his manager !

Words actually fail me on this one, they might as well have written "We Hate Kaffliks" !

Interested to see what one of our Rangers contributors think......................

http://club1872.co.uk/news/club-1872...ble-behaviour/

"Club 1872 Statement on Unacceptable Behaviour

22 February, 2019

Club 1872 fully supports the stance of Rangers and Rangers’ manager, Steven Gerrard in condemning all unacceptable behaviour in Scottish football. It is absolutely clear to us that Rangers has done and continues to do what it reasonably can to address this issue, which remains a problem amongst a minority of all clubs’ supporters and wider society. We will be happy to work with the club on future initiatives in this area.

Unfortunately we see absolutely no viable way to eradicate these sporadic instances of unacceptable behaviour, as long as elements of the Scottish media, Scottish politicians and interest groups continue to sensationalise incidents based on their own prejudice or self interest.

We are in the absurd situation where last weekend Sky pundit, Andy Walker, laughed about sectarian abuse of Kris Boyd and then days later took the polar opposite approach to similar abuse of Steve Clarke. We have seen four BBC Scotland pundits and journalists completely ignore the sectarian abuse of Kris Boyd but comment extensively on social media following the Steve Clarke incident.

This is not just a media phenomenon, however. James Dornan MSP, a self styled sectarianism crusader who himself posed in front of a terrorist flag, ignored the sectarianism directed at Kris Boyd by fans of the club he supports, Celtic, but has now publicly demanded talks with Rangers over the Steve Clarke incident.

Groups like Nil By Mouth and Show Racism the Red Card Scotland have taken the same approach – they completely ignored “orange b****rd” chants directed at Boyd but immediately sprung into action when Steve Clarke spoke about the subject.

If the Scottish establishment is serious about tackling these issues then we should have a real debate about the causes and possible solutions. This will require discussing not just football, despite its higher profile, but having a fair and honest discussion about other contributing factors in society.

We sense absolutely no appetite in Scotland to have that debate – almost every comment on the subject is superficial, one eyed or sensationalised. The term ‘whataboutery’ is now routinely used to shoot down any voice that requests parity in the treatment of these events. In fact, the sum total of the debate thus far has been manufactured media outrage, politicians with an agenda to raise their own profile and groups who rely on the publicity around these issues, as they relate to football, for funding.

Club 1872 will be happy to take part in any honest dialogue on this subject, if such dialogue ever begins."

I always wonder about Rangers fans who complain about being called "orange", when their club actively encourages such stereotypes by selling orange shirts and ones with sashes on them.

I always wonder about Rangers fans who complain about being called "orange", when their club actively encourages such stereotypes by selling orange shirts and ones with sashes on them.
Rangers marketing themselves as a Protestant club for Protestants certainly contributes to the issue.

25 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Words actually fail me on this one, they might as well have written "We Hate Kaffliks" !

Interested to see what one of our Rangers contributors think......................

http://club1872.co.uk/news/club-1872...ble-behaviour/

"Club 1872 Statement on Unacceptable Behaviour

22 February, 2019

Club 1872 fully supports the stance of Rangers and Rangers’ manager, Steven Gerrard in condemning all unacceptable behaviour in Scottish football. It is absolutely clear to us that Rangers has done and continues to do what it reasonably can to address this issue, which remains a problem amongst a minority of all clubs’ supporters and wider society. We will be happy to work with the club on future initiatives in this area.

Unfortunately we see absolutely no viable way to eradicate these sporadic instances of unacceptable behaviour, as long as elements of the Scottish media, Scottish politicians and interest groups continue to sensationalise incidents based on their own prejudice or self interest.

We are in the absurd situation where last weekend Sky pundit, Andy Walker, laughed about sectarian abuse of Kris Boyd and then days later took the polar opposite approach to similar abuse of Steve Clarke. We have seen four BBC Scotland pundits and journalists completely ignore the sectarian abuse of Kris Boyd but comment extensively on social media following the Steve Clarke incident.

This is not just a media phenomenon, however. James Dornan MSP, a self styled sectarianism crusader who himself posed in front of a terrorist flag, ignored the sectarianism directed at Kris Boyd by fans of the club he supports, Celtic, but has now publicly demanded talks with Rangers over the Steve Clarke incident.

Groups like Nil By Mouth and Show Racism the Red Card Scotland have taken the same approach – they completely ignored “orange b****rd” chants directed at Boyd but immediately sprung into action when Steve Clarke spoke about the subject.

If the Scottish establishment is serious about tackling these issues then we should have a real debate about the causes and possible solutions. This will require discussing not just football, despite its higher profile, but having a fair and honest discussion about other contributing factors in society.

We sense absolutely no appetite in Scotland to have that debate – almost every comment on the subject is superficial, one eyed or sensationalised. The term ‘whataboutery’ is now routinely used to shoot down any voice that requests parity in the treatment of these events. In fact, the sum total of the debate thus far has been manufactured media outrage, politicians with an agenda to raise their own profile and groups who rely on the publicity around these issues, as they relate to football, for funding.

Club 1872 will be happy to take part in any honest dialogue on this subject, if such dialogue ever begins."

It does all feel kind of hopeless.

Until Rangers as a club, directly tries to disenfranchise people like that, the problem will continue.

I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Everyone at Rangers abhors Sectarianism says Dave King.............but they are all happy enough to sit in their padded seats (probably tapping their toes) while all around them thousands of Neanderthals belt it out game in game out.

Do these charlatans ever stop to think how absurd statements like that are. It's a total and utter blatant lie !!!

Everyone at Rangers abhors Sectarianism says Dave King.............but they are all happy enough to sit in their padded seats (probably tapping their toes) while all around them thousands of Neanderthals belt it out game in game out.
Do these charlatans ever stop to think how absurd statements like that are. It's a total and utter blatant lie !!!
Wonder how many banning orders have resulted from sectarianism related offences at Ibrox in the last year.

For clarity, if its not tens of thousands then they are in fact, doing f**k all about it.

23 minutes ago, MikeyWellFan said:
27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rangers marketing themselves as a Protestant club for Protestants certainly contributes to the issue.

Lots of times Scottish football had the opportunity to say no to anti Catholic discrimination in our game, we are currently where we are by the route we took to get here, it would be unthinkable nowadays for instance for Partick thistle v Rangers in a fund raiser for the orange lodge, the orange lodge is simply a anti Catholic organisation. Motherwell fans gathering before a cup game within the last 10 years for a pre game sash anti Catholic knees up. However the orange lodge is most identified with Rangers, the annual orange church parade was held at ibrox , ibrox still holds orange presentation gifts. Orangism was easily identified as anti Celtic as that what it was

Football would have been in a better position if it had dealt with Rangers  anti Catholic practices, the whataboutery used by Scottish football is an obscene slur on those victimised by Scottish football

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've always wondered why there's a desperation from some to equate the OO with 'Protestantism'. One is a religion, the other is an organisation that revolves around bigotry and a hate of Catholicism. In reality the OO seem to have hijacked the term in order to drive the notion that people's hate of them is sectarian. 

And before anyone says anything, no - I don't condone any chants containing "OBs" or similar. Partly because a lot of the time it's used against those with no association with the organisation. If you're chanting it at orangemen or your far right, bigoted, walk-attending Rangers fan, well... then they are technically that. But if you're aiming it at someone like Craig Levein it's just cringey and frankly pathetic - and that's when the sectarian undertones start to seep in.

37 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Even then, he's quoted as saying he "abhors the sectarian element that continues to be so prevalent in Scottish football".  

It's a complete denial of the reality of this shit and where its focus lies.  

10 minutes ago, S7C said:

I've always wondered why there's a desperation from some to equate the OO with 'Protestantism'. One is a religion, the other is an organisation that revolves around bigotry and a hate of Catholicism. In reality the OO seem to have hijacked the term in order to drive the notion that people's hate of them is sectarian. 

And before anyone says anything, no - I don't condone any chants containing "OBs" or similar. Partly because a lot of the time it's used against those with no association with the organisation. If you're chanting it at orangemen or your far right, bigoted, walk-attending Rangers fan, well... then they are technically that. But if you're aiming it at someone like Craig Levein it's just cringey and frankly pathetic - and that's when the sectarian undertones start to seep in.

It's the same reason that the H word is associated with religion, it's the need of whataboutery, two arse cheeks within Scottish football, Scottish football cowardice in dealing with the real issues is very similar as to how Scottish society deal with  discrimination, make it two sided

1 minute ago, LordHawHaw said:

It's the same reason that the H word is associated with religion, it's the need of whataboutery, two arse cheeks within Scottish football, Scottish football cowardice in dealing with the real issues is very similar as to how Scottish society deal with  discrimination, make it two sided

Folk call it a societal issue but nowhere bar a Scottish football ground have I ever had sectarian abuse hurled at me and living for 40+ years in Ayrshire that suggests it's very little to do with west of Scotland society. It's classic deflection.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Folk call it a societal issue but nowhere bar a Scottish football ground have I ever had sectarian abuse hurled at me and living for 40+ years in Ayrshire that suggests it's very little to do with west of Scotland society. It's classic deflection.

The majority of "sectarian offences" are reported outside football, however imo it would be misleading of me to use that to deny your point.

Where do you think sectaranism came from? Football?

General society has dealt with anti Catholic  behaviour better, in my opinion and experience mainly due to outside influences rather than a great moral crusade inside our society 

No attempt to answer the point about Kris Boyd within that statement though as usual! [emoji849]Whataboutery?....aye aye, but seems that Clarke doesn’t have a problem when its dished out at Parkhead? Absolute stick on for C*ltic job once Brenda’s had enough btw, he’s got the right approach down to a tee now.

No attempt to answer the point about Kris Boyd within that statement though as usual! [emoji849]Whataboutery?....aye aye, but seems that Clarke doesn’t have a problem when its dished out at Parkhead? Absolute stick on for C*ltic job once Brenda’s had enough btw, he’s got the right approach down to a tee now.

Pathetic

3 minutes ago, LordHawHaw said:

The majority of "sectarian offences" are reported outside football, however imo it would be misleading of me to use that to deny your point.

Where do you think sectaranism came from? Football?

General society has dealt with anti Catholic  behaviour better, in my opinion and experience mainly due to outside influences rather than a great moral crusade inside our society 

Of course sectarianism didn't originate from football but imo it's virtually only football where it continues to flourish today.  As I said I see no evidence of it in my life outside football and Ayrshire does tend to get tarred with the sectarian brush. I'm not saying it doesn't exist outside football, you only need to read the local news for evidence of it but it's my personal experience be that typical or not.