Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

I don't know. He would be a popular appointment and Villa are a massive club.

I think if there was genuine interest then he'd probably consider it. Would be a big opportunity for him but also a big risk given their current league position.

A lot more plausible than the Newcastle links that were flying about.

Edited by AJF

56 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Sky are desperate for Gerrard to get the Villa job. Reckon he’d go lads?

Nah. Ibrox offers his best route to CL football and experience,  I'd be more worried if Leipzig or Ajax or another middle tier* continental side came in. 

*finance wise

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Sky are desperate for Gerrard to get the Villa job. Reckon he’d go lads?

I think he'd consider it, aye. Whether the speculation amounts to an actual approach is yet to be seen but I think it would be a good job for him. 

I think Steven has to caw canny with wherever he chooses to go next.  He's made no secret of the fact that he wants to manage Liverpool, and there's not a Rangers fan that seriously thinks he'd turn down that opportunity if it arose.

However, jumping at the first Premiership club that comes calling could irrevocably damage any chance he ever has of getting to Liverpool.  I don't think he was ever in the running for the Newcastle job and the Villa talk, as someone said, seems to be Sky doing their schtick of trying to create their own narrative.

I don't think staying with us, and potentially winning a couple more titles and getting a crack at the CL with an "unfashionable" club would be the worst choice he could make.  I think I'm right in saying Klopp's deal with Liverpool runs out in 2024?  And I'm sure he's made noises in the past about trying something else, possibly the national team.  I'd be delighted if Steven stayed with us till then and I think he'd then leave with nothing but good wishes from the Rangers support.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

31 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I think Steven has to caw canny with wherever he chooses to go next.  He's made no secret of the fact that he wants to manage Liverpool, and there's not a Rangers fan that seriously thinks he'd turn down that opportunity if it arose.

However, jumping at the first Premiership club that comes calling could irrevocably damage any chance he ever has of getting to Liverpool.  I don't think he was ever in the running for the Newcastle job and the Villa talk, as someone said, seems to be Sky doing their schtick of trying to create their own narrative.

I don't think staying with us, and potentially winning a couple more titles and getting a crack at the CL with an "unfashionable" club would be the worst choice he could make.  I think I'm right in saying Klopp's deal with Liverpool runs out in 2024?  And I'm sure he's made noises in the past about trying something else, possibly the national team.  I'd be delighted if Steven stayed with us till then and I think he'd then leave with nothing but good wishes from the Rangers support.

He wont go direct, I think there'll be a job in Serie A or Bundesliga to test/prove himself.

On the assumption that he can win the league again this year to reach the CL - which is still something of a biggie as our current game plan seems to revolve around giving teams a 1/2 goal start before we begin to compete - then I reckon he’ll see out his contract. 

He wasn’t a player that flip flopped around clubs and he won’t be moving anywhere based solely on a salary. It’s all about the route to Anfield. Villa - or any other middling EPL club - could inflict a significant (or even mortal) wound to that plan.  

28 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Be a decent move for him, Villa are a big club and if he can help stabilise them and get them back up the table it will do his chances of the Anfield job no harm at all

Nah, he’ll be going to Ajax, Serie A or the Bundesliga. 

It's incredibly unlikely he's going to go from Rangers to Liverpool, unless he does something incredible in the Champions League.

A middling EPL club, underachieving, with a lot of money, probably a decent bet as you can "improve" them simply by making them functional.

Seems to be gaining some traction anyway after that article, and some of the "in the know" twitter accounts seem to be laying the foundations that a formal approach will be imminent.

As I've said before, I think Gerrard would be a bit silly not to consider it if the offer does come in. Not an ideal time for us to change our coaching team, but he'd go with my best wishes.