Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

So you agree with me then? Thanks.

Obviously, they run at a loss every season. It’s staggering that a Scottish club with 50,000 season books can run up £100m in losses over 8 years to win 1 trophy. 

1 hour ago, AJF said:

We definitely have some sellable assets, some not as valuable as they once were, but I think the likes of Barisic, Kamara, Aribo, Kent, Hagi and Morelos would all fetch decent prices.

I dunno. Kamara seems a certainty for a big move and has a long deal, so should make it.

Barisic is about to turn 29 and seems to have picked up consistent niggles. His time for a big move has probably slipped past now.

Hagi has his name but isn't deserving of a £10m+ move yet, maybe get it over the course of a deal but not up front.

Aribo, Kent, and Morelos, all go out of contract in 2023, so unless Rangers can extend those deals then the next 2 windows are your last chances. You clearly won't sell them all in January so that's huge pressure on the Summer. I don't think Aribo or Morelos are the right age/performance level to deserve moves like that just now. Kent probably gets a big move due to his nationality.

Could be wrong and extended deals key, but I don't think you get more than £10m up front for more than 3 of them, as a best case scenario, as it stands.

15 minutes ago, gannonball said:

That wasn’t what you were saying though. You were saying that a team that ‘spends 20 million’ should win the league. If Rangers were to sell over 50 million of their talent then only spend a third of that replacing them I wouldn’t ‘expect’ them to win the league. 

I expect a team that spends £20m to win the Scottish Premiership yes. Especially a team that’s dominated the league this century therefore is already in a position of strength.

You’ve also got guys like Barkas, Ajeti, Bolingoli and Soro who cost a fortune by Scottish standards. Like it or not, your spending power vs the rest is enormous. That’s not a dig as you got that advantage so use it, it just makes winning things much easier.

Outside of Edouard and Ange, where was the £50m transfer income since Ange arrived ?

It sounds like I’m more confident about Ange delivering you the title than you are.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dunno. Kamara seems a certainty for a big move and has a long deal, so should make it.

Barisic is about to turn 29 and seems to have picked up consistent niggles. His time for a big move has probably slipped past now.

Hagi has his name but isn't deserving of a £10m+ move yet, maybe get it over the course of a deal but not up front.

Aribo, Kent, and Morelos, all go out of contract in 2023, so unless Rangers can extend those deals then the next 2 windows are your last chances. You clearly won't sell them all in January so that's huge pressure on the Summer. I don't think Aribo or Morelos are the right age/performance level to deserve moves like that just now. Kent probably gets a big move due to his nationality.

Could be wrong and extended deals key, but I don't think you get more than £10m up front for more than 3 of them, as a best case scenario, as it stands.

Kamara is a very good player but he's not going for a massive fee.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Kamara is a very good player but he's not going for a massive fee.

I think he counts as homegrown down south due to his time at Arsenal?

If not then aye, bump his fee down a bit.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Of course, when I say decent prices, I don’t mean the £15m+ that others would believe, like you say. But I definitely think if we were to sell, let’s say 3 of them in the summer window and another 3 the following summer window, I reckon that would be enough or close to enough to cover any potential loss of Champions League money for those 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Blaming half their losses on Covid keeps them in line for FFP rules,if clubs like Barcelona can get away with it sevco will be no different,Uefa and the SFA have their hands tied in terms of clubs spending beyond their means, the idea was to prevent financial ruin not for fairness or equality.

Covid will have affected most clubs Willie, even celtic.

CELTIC have announced an £11.5MILLION loss before tax following a coronavirus-hit year.

The Hoops, like all other Scottish clubs, were forced to deal with the impact of the global pandemic throughout last season

And the Parkhead club have now revealed exactly how that affected them in their financial results for the year ending June 30, 2021.

In a statement on the club's website this morning, it was confirmed that Celtic had suffered an £11.5m loss before tax.

And this amounted to a total loss of £12.6m after tax was applied

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think he counts as homegrown down south due to his time at Arsenal?

If not then aye, bump his fee down a bit.

He does. If Slavia, with a similar recent European pedigree and the like can get £16m out of West Ham for Soucek, I can’t see why thinking £12-15m for Kamara would be unrealistic, even with the obvious bias. 

21 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I expect a team that spends £20m to win the Scottish Premiership yes. Especially a team that’s dominated the league this century therefore is already in a position of strength.

You’ve also got guys like Barkas, Ajeti, Bolingoli and Soro who cost a fortune by Scottish standards. Like it or not, your spending power vs the rest is enormous. That’s not a dig as you got that advantage so use it, it just makes winning things much easier.

Outside of Edouard and Ange, where was the £50m transfer income since Ange arrived ?

It sounds like I’m more confident about Ange delivering you the title than you are.

Sorry you are changing the narrative again. I’m not pretending Celtic don’t hold a significant advantage over every club in Scotland except Sevco. But constantly ignoring the fact we are only spending money because we have recouped from selling our best players makes you impossible to have any realistic conversation with.

@AJF I think this is karma for me laughing at you when people were arguing against points you weren’t making.

Edited by gannonball

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Using Covid as an excuse doesn't hide the numbers zippy,you would expect better run clubs not to rely on hand outs.

Nobody is using covid as an excuse, I was simply challenging your suggestion that Rangers were fiddling their books to increase the impact of covid, which is nonsense.

9 minutes ago, Orbix said:

He does. If Slavia, with a similar recent European pedigree and the like can get £16m out of West Ham for Soucek, I can’t see why thinking £12-15m for Kamara would be unrealistic, even with the obvious bias. 

TBF that Soucek fee came after he'd played in the EPL for 6 months and impressed. I can't see Rangers allowing an EPL side to loan Kamara for 6 months with an optional fee built in.

That wasn’t what you were saying though. You were saying that a team that ‘spends 20 million’ should win the league. If Rangers were to sell over 50 million of their talent then only spend a third of that replacing them I wouldn’t ‘expect’ them to win the league. 
The point I see is that no other clubs can invest so heavily back into squad after selling their players.

It appears after one good Rangers season Cetic have convinced themselves that they are 2nd behind rangers and will be some achievement to wrestle the league back.

Which is a nonsense given the money spent. The selling a player/s for 30 million and reinvesting only 20 million back argument is brain dead.

26 minutes ago, bennett said:

Covid will have affected most clubs Willie, even celtic.

CELTIC have announced an £11.5MILLION loss before tax following a coronavirus-hit year.

The Hoops, like all other Scottish clubs, were forced to deal with the impact of the global pandemic throughout last season

And the Parkhead club have now revealed exactly how that affected them in their financial results for the year ending June 30, 2021.

In a statement on the club's website this morning, it was confirmed that Celtic had suffered an £11.5m loss before tax.

And this amounted to a total loss of £12.6m after tax was applied

Covid season aside, rangers have made a loss in every season since 2008, and at that point owed the bank £20m, Celtic had small losses in 2012 and 2015, every other year they posted a profit. It’s not a very good business model however you spin it. 

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Nobody is using covid as an excuse, I was simply challenging your suggestion that Rangers were fiddling their books to increase the impact of covid, which is nonsense.

In addition,Rangers did generate some sundry income as they had the foresight to take out business interruption insurance, which appears to have paid out relating to coronavirus issues, as well as utilisation of government Covid related grants.

You posted this yourself M8.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

In addition,Rangers did generate some sundry income as they had the foresight to take out business interruption insurance, which appears to have paid out relating to coronavirus issues, as well as utilisation of government Covid related grants.

You posted this yourself M8.

What is your point? Celtic received more in business interruption insurance than Rangers did, btw. Did you know that?

4 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Covid season aside, rangers have made a loss in every season since 2008, and at that point owed the bank £20m, Celtic had small losses in 2012 and 2015, every other year they posted a profit. It’s not a very good business model however you spin it. 

Not the point that Willie was making though.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF that Soucek fee came after he'd played in the EPL for 6 months and impressed. I can't see Rangers allowing an EPL side to loan Kamara for 6 months with an optional fee built in.

That’s fair, it’s difficult looking for similar profile players moving around last season because of COVID, he was the one I had that ticked the most similar boxes