Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

8 minutes ago, bennett said:

It is worrying. 

Obviously we couldn't invest in the playing squad,  huge financial losses from last season....  The squad as it is should still be good enough to challenge celtic, who were able to invest by selling. 

I've  feeling that our player valuations will have to be a bit more realistic in future.

I just think, and only my opinion, if Celtic have allowed Ange to spend £20m to build his own squad, then he should win the league. £20m when nobody else has even spent £1 gives you a huge advantage anyway, but even bigger when you consider he has taken over a team that’s won 75% of the league championships this century.

The last manager to enjoy such a financial advantage was Ronny and he had 100% record in delivering league championships.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The CL money making up their losses makes sense tbh. But they probably need to find a way to make money off players too. I'm entirely unconvinced by this theory some of their fans pump out that there's 5/6 players who can move to the EPL for £15m+ in the next couple of windows tbh.

This Summer is their last to get decent money for Morelos, as he's now 25, having a fairly average season, and is out of contract after next season. None of of their back 4 go for close to £10m+, midfield maybe Kamara? Then Kent will do as he's English. Bassey would need to develop a lot, and quickly, to be in the conversation.

We definitely have some sellable assets, some not as valuable as they once were, but I think the likes of Barisic, Kamara, Aribo, Kent, Hagi and Morelos would all fetch decent prices.

Edited by AJF

16 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I just think, and only my opinion, if Celtic have allowed Ange to spend £20m to build his own squad, then he should win the league. £20m when nobody else has even spent £1 gives you a huge advantage anyway, but even bigger when you consider he has taken over a team that’s won 75% of the league championships this century.

The last manager to enjoy such a financial advantage was Ronny and he had 100% record in delivering league championships.

Celtic have won more games,scored more goals and conceded less goals so far this season but this is a very simplistic view,you could say it's probably the hardest part of the season for Celtic with all the changes,Celtic needed 6 or 7 players to hit the ground running.
It's too easy to say spend £20 million and we'll win the league,they're too many moving parts to make that happen.
Celtic are in a good place but our squad is still short over a 60 game season.

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

Remarkable that their previous incarnation caused carnage less than a decade ago being liquidated, robbing the tax payer of 50m+ And yet the new club are allowed to run up such staggering losses without question.

Probably because whoever's owed money isn't looking for it.

Unlike the previous club/company/company that ran the club where HMRC had an interest.

A look at the most recent results from Kieran Maguire, the English football finance guy you might’ve seen before.

Rangers have published their financialresults for 2020/21. For their fans the only number that matters as far as last season is concerned is ‘55’ but some of the figures in the accounts make for less enjoyable reading.

Income

Clubs generate income from three main sources, matchday, broadcast and commercial. Rangers were able to sell season tickets to fans for 2020/21 despite matches taking place behind closed doors. Fans were able to watch matches using a streaming service as opposed to physically attending at Ibrox. This meant that whilst income from this source halved to £18m, it was much higher than clubs in England, (Manchester United, for example, had matchday of just £0.7m). Rangers were however not so fortunate in terms of matchday income from UEFA games, as they could not sell streaming passes for these matches.

Broadcasting

Rangers receive broadcasting money from both domestic and UEFA participation. The domestic money increased by 65% to £7.7m, partly due to 2019/20 being curtailed early following the onset of Covid-19 and fewer matches being available to broadcasters.

UEFA prize money, which is funded by broadcasting deals, increased by a quarter, which might seem strange given that Rangers made the same progress as the previous season in the Europa League. Rangers did benefit from an overall increase in money made available by UEFA, as well as having better results in the group stages of the competition.

Other income

Rangers merchandising income may look low at £4.6m compared to Celtic’s quoted figure of £15 million, but this is more to do with the different ways the two clubs account for sales than a reflection of the number of jerseys sold. Sponsorship income continued to rise, reflecting many new deals generated by the commercial department at the club.

Overall the income did fall by over £11 million but this is probably as good as can be expected. Celtic’s income gap over Rangers increased by almost £2m to £13m but this is linked partially to the different ways the two clubs account for merchandise.

In addition,Rangers did generate some sundry income as they had the foresight to take out business interruption insurance, which appears to have paid out relating to coronavirus issues, as well as utilisation of government Covid related grants.

Costs

Football is a talent industry, and talent costs money in the form of wages and transfer fees. Rangers total wage bill increased on the back of recruitment, new contracts and bonuses for winning the Premiership, and the club paid out £100 in wages for every £100 of revenue. This is substantially higher than UEFA’s red line of £70, but is likely to be a one-off issue as revenues increase in 2021/22 with Ibrox full to capacity.

In relation to transfers, Rangers spent £16.8 million in 2020/21, the highest sum invested in players for some time. This cost is spread over the life of the players' contracts in what is called amortisation, and increased by 40% compared to the previous season.

Rangers have not been a significant selling club for some time, so profits from player sales were modest. Over the course of the last decade Rangers have made player sale profits of just £8m, compared to Celtic’s £115m. However the Ibrox club do now have some players who can generate substantial income, should the board decide to accept an offer. Overall the squad has a total cost of over £39 million, more than ten times the amount at the end of 2015/16.

Losses

The pre-tax loss for the season was £24.7m, nearly 40% higher than the previous season, and more than double that of Celtic. Whilst this is far higher than anyone connected with the club would like, it is broadly in line with expectations and should be substantially lower in 2021/22.

The losses have been funded by director and investor loans of over £20 million. Whilst loans have to be repaid, but overall debt has fallen due to a significant amount of loans being converted into shares, which have no repayment date. Another advantage of converting debt into shares is that there is no obligation to pay any interest. The board have indicated that further loans of about £7m may be required to help the club fund the present season, but after that it will be reasonably close to operating on a breakeven basis. Should Rangers qualify for the group stages of the Champions League they will be in an even better financial position.

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Blaming half their losses on Covid keeps them in line for FFP rules,if clubs like Barcelona can get away with it sevco will be no different,Uefa and the SFA have their hands tied in terms of clubs spending beyond their means, the idea was to prevent financial ruin not for fairness or equality.

Well, when you consider our gate receipts and hospitality income fell from £35m in the year ended 2020 to £18m in the year ended 2021, then it is quite clear how covid contributed to the losses.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think we sold something like 50 odd million worth of players though in past year. We are only spending some money because we have sold our best players. I don’t think that’s an advantage at all tbh on paper.

Edited by gannonball

11 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I think we sold something like 50 odd million worth of players though in past year. We are only spending some money because we have sold our best players. I don’t think that’s an advantage at all tbh. 

If you look at the 3 leagues in Europe where one team has a huge financial advantage over the rest, albeit at varying levels of riches, France, Germany and Scotland, the 3 teams with the massive advantage have won the title in 25 of the last 30 seasons.

They all sell players on but they all re-invest heavily in their squad which their competitors can’t afford to do.

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

If you look at the 3 leagues in Europe where one team has a huge financial advantage over the rest, albeit at varying levels of riches, France, Germany and Scotland, the 3 teams with the massive advantage have won the title in 25 of the last 30 seasons.

They all sell players on but they all re-invest heavily in their squad which their competitors can’t afford to do.

You are comparing Celtic making money every year off transfers  to PSG who spunk money left right and centre with there only concern is getting around FFP rules. Bayern I would imagine usually as well run at at deficit on transfers rather than a surplus. Sorry but neither of those two clubs models are really comparable to ours other than being the biggest club in their country.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You are comparing Celtic making money every year off transfers  to PSG who spunk money left right and centre with there only concern is getting around FFP rules. Bayern I would imagine usually as well run at at deficit on transfers rather than a surplus. Sorry but neither of those two clubs models are really comparable to ours other than being the biggest club in their country.

I’m not comparing model or structure at all. I’m saying clubs with a huge financial advantage over the rest of the teams win more trophies. It’s a proven fact.

I will leave the biggest club debate to you lads.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

27 minutes ago, AJF said:

Well, when you consider our gate receipts and hospitality income fell from £35m in the year ended 2020 to £18m in the year ended 2021, then it is quite clear how covid contributed to the losses.

You’ve only been going 9 years and racked up debts of £100,000,000 to win one major trophy. Let that sink in.

Just now, Yflab said:

You’ve only been going 9 years and racked up debts of £100,000,000 to win one major trophy. Let that sink in.

I appreciate that. I’ve never once denied it or said it’s a healthy position to be in. You’ve responded to a completely separate point with a completely separate argument.

6 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m not comparing model or structure at all. I’m saying clubs with a huge financial advantage over the rest of the teams win more trophies. It’s a proven fact.

That wasn’t what you were saying though. You were saying that a team that ‘spends 20 million’ should win the league. If Rangers were to sell over 50 million of their talent then only spend a third of that replacing them I wouldn’t ‘expect’ them to win the league. 

I read Derek Johnstone has been saying the trouble in Europe by those pesky Brondby fans is the worst he has seen in 55 years in football. 

His memory must be really fcuked.

Riot at Barcelona 1972 - no cup presentation.

Riot at Aston Villa 1976 - match abandoned.

Riot at St Mirren - 1977

Riot at Chesterfield 1980

Riot at Hampden 1980

Riot at Manchester 2008

Riot in Glasgow 2012 when their club died.

OK I made the last one up, but there is a common theme.

When Rangers needed their fans the most there was no fighting spirit amongst them to save their club. They will be forever remembered for being the fans that let their club DIE.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

I appreciate that. I’ve never once denied it or said it’s a healthy position to be in. You’ve responded to a completely separate point with a completely separate argument.

£35M - £18M = £17,000,000. What do you put that loss down to? Your new club has learned nothing from your history.

Just now, Yflab said:

£35M - £18M = £17,000,000. What do you put that loss down to? Your new club has learned nothing from your history.

Jesus, are you deliberately missing the point 😂 I was responding to a point made about the impact covid had on our losses. It is not rocket science to work out that there still would’ve been a loss had it been a “regular” season, but there’s also no denying covid increased it significantly.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Jesus, are you deliberately missing the point 😂 I was responding to a point made about the impact covid had on our losses. It is not rocket science to work out that there still would’ve been a loss had it been a “regular” season, but there’s also no denying covid increased it significantly.

Of course there would, no side playing out if ibrox has made a profit since 2008