Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

So insulting me by saying I'm "not the strongest shamrock" isn't a slur on my perceived background

The turpentines ability to make you state that black is white and night is day is remarkable

No idea what your 'perceived background' is.

2 minutes ago, Border Reiver said:

Well please tell us what attracted you to the well know bastion of hate filled sectarianism of the Orange Lodge was it hatred or ignorance?

Eh?  Justify belonging to an organisation I signed up to and left before you were born?  Is this a serious question?

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:

You have embarrassed yourself across this thread with your utter refusal to admit what you know to be true and tying yourself in knots in the process

Why mention Shamrocks at all?

I referenced my Irishness in a comment below one of your posts but you just happened to pull that analogy out of tin air

Why is this in any way relevant?

2 minutes ago, Border Reiver said:

Why not ? Seems like a simple enough question even for you

Fair enough.  Scotland thrived on three things:  The Protestant reformation, The Williamite Revolution and The Act of Union.

The OO celebrates all three and I was proud to be a member for a couple of years back in the late 70s.

Fair enough.  Scotland thrived on three things:  The Protestant reformation, The Williamite Revolution and The Act of Union.
The OO celebrates all three and I was proud to be a member for a couple of years back in the late 70s.

Scottish reformation = catholic bad
Williamite reformation = catholic king bad
Act of union = no catholic king for both countries

Could be a pattern here… just can’t quite put my finger on it

It’s 2021 and grown men still believe some of this is acceptable in a modern society. Should we not be education the next generation that the way forward is tolerance and unity not bigotry and racism. Otherwise the cycle of hatred is just passed on to the next group of young men and women who look up to their parents for guidance and wisdom.

It’s very surprising to me that some people would claim that h*n =/= Protestant. The term has been used in Ireland to refer to Protestants for a long time, and was coined by James Connolly in 1916 to refer to the English and Scottish (or Brit-H*n) “hordes” that were coming over to Ireland to take the jobs of good Irish laddies, which then forced them into the trenches in WWI. If you’re ignorant about the origins of the word, it doesn’t 👏 excuse 👏 your 👏 bigotry 👏

Anyway, the more interesting story to me is that the Daily Record thought that sectarian tweets from a couple of absolute nobodies who appear on a Rangers podcast was worthy of three pages in the paper, including the front page splash. There’s no doubt the tweets are sectarian/offensive. But it’s also clearly not front page news.

The Record story and the fall out from it instead reminds me of that letter about “cancel culture” that JK Rowling and a load of other bigots wrote last summer. At the time, cancel culture was being used by the powerless to hold powerful people to account. It was great at removing some genuinely disgusting pieces of shit from public office or positions of influence.

That letter though was misinterpreted by a lot of people as a critique of cancel culture. It wasn’t. The authors merely wanted to turn the tables, and use cancel culture to silence their critics. Since then, we’ve seen a load of absolute nobodies (like these H&H guys) get “cancelled” while loads of other people with similar (or worse) histories that actually have influence (the Daily Record and their journos, in this analogy) have nothing to worry about. Obviously, this is on a much smaller scale in Scottish football, and none of this really matters, but I thought it was the obvious parallel. 

This has most prominently taken the form of leftist activists being cancelled by the media - the amount of people who got sacked for Palestinian solidarity was probably the nadir of this. “Cancel culture” (or whatever you call it) ain’t what it used to be, and it’s probably not our friend anymore.

It’s also very, very funny to see journalists made to look like total c***s when their old tweets are brought up. You’d have to have a heart of stone not to laugh at that. 

7 hours ago, Dolf said:

You have embarrassed yourself across this thread with your utter refusal to admit what you know to be true and tying yourself in knots in the process

Why mention Shamrocks at all?

I referenced my Irishness in a comment below one of your posts but you just happened to pull that analogy out of tin air

Self parodying racist slur, imho

Can you all please not bypass the word filter please,Div went to great lengths with Nil By Mouth when setting it up and bypassing will result in warnings and Bans if it continues.

We all know what the word is when it comes up when *** comes up so no need for it folks,this morning alone we have had over a dozen reports from a Guest account and we all know who that is and a couple of them were warranted 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

It’s very surprising to me that some people would claim that h*n =/= Protestant. The term has been used in Ireland to refer to Protestants for a long time, and was coined by James Connolly in 1916 to refer to the English and Scottish (or Brit-H*n) “hordes” that were coming over to Ireland to take the jobs of good Irish laddies, which then forced them into the trenches in WWI. If you’re ignorant about the origins of the word, it doesn’t 👏 excuse 👏 your 👏 bigotry 👏

Rudyard Kipling used the term 14 years earlier than Connolly to describe the Germans. But that isn't the base use of the term either.

Anyway, discussing this is a deflection from the Ibrox club associating themselves with bigots over time, and trying to appeal to a section of support by utilising sectarian symbols.

2 hours ago, Yorky said:

It’s 2021 and grown men still believe some of this is acceptable in a modern society. Should we not be education the next generation that the way forward is tolerance and unity not bigotry and racism. Otherwise the cycle of hatred is just passed on to the next group of young men and women who look up to their parents for guidance and wisdom.

And take the passion out of ‘the greatest rivalry in football’?

Don’t be silly, none of them want that.