Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

2 hours ago, SANTAN said:

It's mental, they've just been papped out of the same tourny by a mob we pumped a few years back and they've beaten potentially the worst team in the league at home considerably and suddenly big Ange is the man and we are apparantly done for. In a way I get that it's just blind optimism. In their heart of hearts they'll know they've got a few more years of suffering so they need to have something positive to hope for. A bit like us under Warbuton and saying he would win the league...

Or it could just be that Rangers are shite :thumsup2

51 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Well done Romeo being top Celtic poster in here, over 5 yrs it’s still 1 post every other day. Like you, I thought it would be more. Need to up our game. 

I’m going to up my game in this thread definitely. Just to annoy Kincardine. He’s the posting police. And a c**t.

35 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

I would guess it's more to do with fact that at the tail end of last season Rangers were light years ahead, then Celtic had a comedy summer with their manager and started their season with a bunch of kids and guys who dont want to be there as a result, looking absolutely dire. They knew they were shite.

For most, including neutrals, before a ball was kicked Rangers were going to romp the league again and had probably the easiest path to CL riches they could have asked for.

As Celtic have been slowly improving their situation, Rangers, who thought they were brilliant, have been quickly nuking their own to the point where after this week there genuinely doesn't seem much between the sides again and with the CL off the table Rangers likely need to sell their crown jewels and weaken themselves further, by their own admission.

I suspect Celtic fans are pretty delighted by that, given where they thought they were in relation to Rangers.

Quite understandable from a neutral perspective.

I think my main counter-argument is that Rangers are currently going through a period of poor form, rather than them becoming a poor team (in relative terms) which you seem to suggest. I've no doubt we will improve with further games under our belt and let's not forget that the side we put out against Malmo was missing arguably 3 of our best players in Roofe, Kamara and Jack.

Yes, we will now need to sell (my money would be on Kamara and Morelos) but I also believe that this dip in form will be overcome and we've not fallen as much as you imply.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think my main counter-argument is that Rangers are currently going through a period of poor form, rather than them becoming a poor team (in relative terms) which you seem to suggest. I've no doubt we will improve with further games under our belt and let's not forget that the side we put out against Malmo was missing arguably 3 of our best players in Roofe, Kamara and Jack.

Yes, we will now need to sell (my money would be on Kamara and Morelos) but I also believe that this dip in form will be overcome and we've not fallen as much as you imply.

Thats what said about Celtic after dropping out to Ferencvaros, and then dropping points to Rangers, Aberdeen etc. We said some of that was due to missing our best players due to Covid but when we got them back f**k all improved and it got worse after imploded after Ross County

I'm starting to feel this is a movie i've seen recently except its now being filmed in Govan instead of Parkhead

Not so much my implication, more your own performance against your own records/statistics.

FWIW my own personal view is that there were many Rangers players who played above themselves last season, who look more like the players we'd seen before at the start of this season.

Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun, Kent, Barasic and Arfield being those I think look more like their "normal" selves at the moment then they did for much of last season when they were outstanding. Though arguably Tavernier and Arfield were off it second half of the season as well.

And I agree with you, I think you'll now sell your two best players (IMO), Morelos and Kamara. It's been pretty clear watching Rangers that you don't have anyone else who can do what those two do.

Now, I'm not saying Rangers are a bad team, obviously they're not. They're still the best team in Scotland.

I just don't think Rangers are as good as a lot of Rangers fans think they are, just as I don't think Celtic are as bad as a lot of Celtic fans think they are.

Add to that Celtic are generally getting rid of deadwood who were rotten last season and replacing them with, for some at least on early viewing, better players at the same time as Rangers will be selling their prize assets and have only brought in squad players (Sakala doesn't look any better than what you have and Lundstrum looks like your version of Shane Duffy so far) and the gap narrows further.

Rangers are still favourites, of course. But I think we've seen this week that all the "done by Xmas" shouts were more than a little premature.

Brass tax of it is that the "terrible" Celtic team have D,L in the Champions League to "Favourites" Rangers L,L.

And in League business it's W,L each with Celtic ahead on Goals.

Pretty sure most of the boys in blue didn't expect to have a worse CL and SPFL record at this stage than Celtic, despite what happens from here.

1 hour ago, gaz5 said:

I would guess it's more to do with fact that at the tail end of last season Rangers were light years ahead, then Celtic had a comedy summer with their manager and started their season with a bunch of kids and guys who dont want to be there as a result, looking absolutely dire. They knew they were shite.

For most, including neutrals, before a ball was kicked Rangers were going to romp the league again and had probably the easiest path to CL riches they could have asked for.

As Celtic have been slowly improving their situation, Rangers, who thought they were brilliant, have been quickly nuking their own to the point where after this week there genuinely doesn't seem much between the sides again and with the CL off the table Rangers likely need to sell their crown jewels and weaken themselves further, by their own admission.

I suspect Celtic fans are pretty delighted by that, given where they thought they were in relation to Rangers.

This is pretty much bang on. 

I expected this to be a tough season and it may still be depending on how things go in the transfer market. We were told we were a million miles behind Rangers and after we lost to Hearts we were already seeing comments about titles being done in August 😂

But the thing is and what is now becoming evident is that Celtic are a bigger victim or poor coaching and management last season than anything else and that killed the confidence of many key players.

CalMac and Christie already look like the players they were under Rodgers, we have for a change bought seemingly well and Abada and Kyogo look a steal and we have lots more business to do whereas Rangers after Malmo are now in a position where they need to potentially cut their cloth and lose some of the key players with no replacement of similar quality. If Rangers lose Morelos, Kent or Kamara then they are severely weakened. Their mentality is being tested and just now they are failing that test and other clubs are now looking at Rangers after Dundee Utd and Malmo and thinking we can have a go at this mob just like they did with us last year. That fear factor has gone to an extent and some of the mumblings that are starting to surface are eerily similar to what was happening last season with Celtic and its a little too early to suggest Rangers are starting to crumble but there is a danger of it if they need to sell too many of their key assets

Will Celtic win the league? I don't know its way too early to say. Do we feel much more optimistic that we have a realistic chance? Absolutely. 

Edited by Jinky67

1 hour ago, gaz5 said:

good post, but one swallow doesn't make a summer, ''Ange'' could be back to ''shite'' & ''should never have been near this job'' as quickly as he got hero status.

the stopping or getting ''the 10'' was the big deal for the ugly sisters last season, i'll go out on a limb and say this title is even more important, who ever wins this will get to 60 first.

25 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

good post, but one swallow doesn't make a summer, ''Ange'' could be back to ''shite'' & ''should never have been near this job'' as quickly as he got hero status.

the stopping or getting ''the 10'' was the big deal for the ugly sisters last season, i'll go out on a limb and say this title is even more important, who ever wins this will get to 60 first.

With the, almost, guaranteed champions league football it’s a great chance for the champions to kick on.  

31 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

With the, almost, guaranteed champions league football it’s a great chance for the champions to kick on.  

your lot got arrogant, and then let a wobble really turn to shit, King said stuff about a house of cards, ironic that it looks more like rangers he was describing, this seasons CL money was already spent, if they don't win the league this seasons, they're fucked and i can see only your lot winning it again until you decide to save money and give the manager's job to some random guy in the street who's wearing a Wolfe Tones T Shirt.

On 09/08/2021 at 21:20, Jinky67 said:

however i am quickly learning asking straight forward questions round this way tend to be dodged, ducked, dipped, dived and dodged.

You’ve been a member of this site for 12 years so you don’t seem to be learning this quickly at all to be honest.

8 hours ago, Henrik's tongue said:

So, who will be first to be sold do you think? Morelos? Kent? Kamara? All of them? 

I don't think anyone will. Ultimately the players have the power here though. If someone desperately wants to leave then selling for a fair price makes sense.

17 hours ago, DMCs said:

I don't think anyone will. Ultimately the players have the power here though. If someone desperately wants to leave then selling for a fair price makes sense.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/football/alfredo-morelos-rangers-transfer-latest-21304331

undisclosed fee {probably 10 million} by the close of the window.

1 hour ago, DMCs said:

That suggests that Portuguese sources are saying they won't be buying him.

don't be naive, they'll be back with a low ball offer, if not now, in January, and if Sellick are looking like  they might not be as shite as we all thought they were going to be, selling him might be the only big fee you'll see, as it'll be them that could end up with direct entry into the group stages., Dave King was right, a House of Cards it certainly is. he just got the wrong side of the city.

13 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

don't be naive, they'll be back with a low ball offer, if not now, in January, and if Sellick are looking like  they might not be as shite as we all thought they were going to be, selling him might be the only big fee you'll see, as it'll be them that could end up with direct entry into the group stages., Dave King was right, a House of Cards it certainly is. he just got the wrong side of the city.

Lmao ok nostradamus

3 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’ve questioned Tavernier’s bottle in front of a crowd however I see that the Record have another article today having a go at him. They seem to have a bit of a vandetta against him which just doesn’t feel right.

Aye, he seems to get it worse than others for some reason. The media go through cycles like this every so often to be fair so he’s not the first or last to get it.

NIKO KATIC has been told his Rangers career is OVER.

SunSport understands the champions are now looking to offload the Croat before the transfer window closes

Katic, 24, has fallen down the pecking order after a career-threatening knee injury saw him miss out on an historic campaign for Gers.

And we can now reveal Ibrox sporting director Ross Wilson met with Katic’s agent last week — and instructed him to find the defender a new club