Follow Following to Title 56. The Rangers Season 2021/22

36 minutes ago, DMCs said:

A special thanks to Liverpool FC, the streets of South London and Marilena Hagi for delivering this:

There are very few players out there who can execute a chop turn like Kent can. It's great to watch. With Aribo, Kent and Hagi it's an attacking three that is ridiculously talented with the ball.

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Genuine question: what other fora are there with a cross section of supporters involved?

Something Awful - because I’m an old man and it had the best moderation. 

Interview with Patterson, Bassey and Zungu on RTV now where they apologise for the Monopoly game. All three are also in the training video for today.

Still unclear as to the circumstances of what they actually did, but there you go. Looks as if the SFA aren't going to ban them anyway.

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

They've been given disciplinary sanctions, I wonder if we'll see them play again this season. 

I'm almost certain we will. And we should. We need to find out if these kids can play.

Disciplinary sanctions is probably a two week fine.

A nice wee compilation of some of our goals scored as a result of excellent team work and link up play I thought was worth sharing.

Some of the football we have played this season has been top quality at times.

Edited by AJF

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

A nice wee compilation of some of our goals scored as a result of excellent team work and link up play I thought was worth sharing.

Some of the football we have played this season has been top quality at times.

I think it was last season I said it, but some of the football Gerrard has us playing is as good as, and better than anything we played under Advocaat.  

Cameron Campbell is a really interesting football coach with really interesting ideas.

Used to be a youth coach with Aberdeen and gave it up to move to Ghana, where he made a name for himself reforming the Right to Dream Academy.

Good guy to have around.

13 minutes ago, Knight55WoodBear said:

I think it was last season I said it, but some of the football Gerrard has us playing is as good as, and better than anything we played under Advocaat.  

How would you rate your Advocaat side in the 98 League Cup Final?

Watched the game back yesterday and was a bit surprised at how ordinary they looked, as the squad looked decent enough. Guess that was the early stages and they hadn't fully developed yet?

This isn't a dig or anything, I just barely remember that era due to my age so was interesting watching it back.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

How would you rate your Advocaat side in the 98 League Cup Final?

Watched the game back yesterday and was a bit surprised at how ordinary they looked, as the squad looked decent enough. Guess that was the early stages and they hadn't fully developed yet?

This isn't a dig or anything, I just barely remember that era due to my age so was interesting watching it back.

This team is exciting and can be good to watch and are well drilled into their roles.

Advocatt’s team was genuinely full of top class internationals . Probably the best football playing squad Rangers have had. 

This may sound ridiculous as they won a treble in 98/99 but 99/00 was probably them at their best . I think it was the biggest points gap between 1st and 2nd until Rodgers first season with Celtic .

In Europe that season they blew Parma away to qualify for the champions league who had knocked us out the previous seasons UEFA cup a few months earlier . And then put in a very respectable effort in a group containing PSV , Valencia and Bayern Munich 

Edited by Forever_blueco

1 hour ago, Forever_blueco said:

This team is exciting and can be good to watch and are well drilled into their roles.

Advocatt’s team was genuinely full of top class internationals . Probably the best football playing squad Rangers have had. 

This may sound ridiculous as they won a treble in 98/99 but 99/00 was probably them at their best . I think it was the biggest points gap between 1st and 2nd until Rodgers first season with Celtic .

In Europe that season they blew Parma away to qualify for the champions league who had knocked us out the previous seasons UEFA cup a few months earlier . And then put in a very respectable effort in a group containing PSV , Valencia and Bayern Munich 

We should have beaten Munich at Ibrox and we were terrorising them away until Mols went off injured.  Still raw, that one. 

The best ‘footballing’ side that I can ever remember Rangers having was the Advocaat side from 98-00. They had some genuinely top players then and were probably unlucky not to go further in Europe in that period.

It’s mental to think that we actually beat that Rangers times a couple of times and haven’t been able to buy a win against much lesser Rangers sides in later years. I remember a 1-0 win at Fir Park in a midweek game in 98. Billy Davies first home game as manager and we’d just lost 5-0 in Perth on the Saturday, facing a star studded Rangers team and no one gave us a hope in hell. Yet John Spencer scored a brilliant debut goal to get the win. That felt like a real scalp for us.

3 hours ago, DMCs said:

02/03 was also an outstanding side that isn't often mentioned.

Not downplaying mcleish in anyway as he done a very good job at Rangers in his time in charge  but the spine of that team in 2002-2003 was still very much from advocatt’s team .

On 22/02/2021 at 10:16, G51 said:

The Athletic are saying that we've signed the "next Freddy Adu" - Francis Jacobs, from Orange County. Turned professional at 14.

He'll be a cracker.

It seems like there a number of big differences between Jacobs and Adu which will benefit Rangers if you indeed sign him.

1. Jacobs appears to have a strong family unit behind him who will make decisions for the good of the player whereas a number of Adu’s early career decisions appear to have, influenced by his family and agent, been based on money. He also signed a huge contract with Nike which added pressure.

2. Adu was 5 ft 8 whereas Jacobs is 6 ft. Not saying height is everything however it’s distinctly advantageous at this stage in his career especially in the UK.

3. Jacobs has a British Passport which means he won’t be subject to work permit rules. Adu lost out on a move to Man Utd for this reason - who knows what could have happened if Fergie had got his hands on Adu at 16 ?

All of the above are positive for Jacobs and indeed Rangers if he signs for you.

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It seems like there a number of big differences between Jacobs and Adu which will benefit Rangers if you indeed sign him.

1. Jacobs appears to have a strong family unit behind him who will make decisions for the good of the player whereas a number of Adu’s early career decisions appear to have, influenced by his family and agent, been based on money. He also signed a huge contract with Nike which added pressure.

2. Adu was 5 ft 8 whereas Jacobs is 6 ft. Not saying height is everything however it’s distinctly advantageous at this stage in his career especially in the UK.

3. Jacobs has a British Passport which means he won’t be subject to work permit rules. Adu lost out on a move to Man Utd for this reason - who knows what could have happened if Fergie had got his hands on Adu at 16 ?

All of the above are positive for Jacobs and indeed Rangers if he signs for you.

I'll be really cheesed off if this one doesn't happen.

He has actually played for Rangers at youth tournaments, he looked really good at the Alkass Cup.

Not downplaying mcleish in anyway as he done a very good job at Rangers in his time in charge  but the spine of that team in 2002-2003 was still very much from advocatt’s team .

That was mcleish’s strength, did the same with mclean’s team with us but as soon as he had to get his own players it all started to fall apart. Same with hibs and Birmingham.