Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

So, just to clarify, a journalist reported on hate speech through some prominent members of a Rangers podcast, and in return said podcast has motivated Rangers fans to go hunting hate speech in revenge?

Nice to know Rangers fans can identify hate speech when it’s not in Ibrox.

1 hour ago, Orbix said:

Might equally question how the Record managed to miss such levels of bigotry and discrimination right under their nose. Not a great advert for their investigative prowess is it?

"Aye but whit aboot thame"

I asked my dad what *** meant when I started going to games. He thought it was associated with vandals and hordes, and that the use of it in the NE increased after King Street was smashed up by RFC fans after a game in the late 70s. I think this (along with other incidents) led to the away end at Pittodrie being shifted from the Merkland to the Beach End.

Given the (nominal) religious orientation up here, it’s all a bit baffling to find that Rangers fans have suddenly decided the name a lot of Dons fans call them is sectarian.

34 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

I asked my dad what *** meant when I started going to games. He thought it was associated with vandals and hordes, and that the use of it in the NE increased after King Street was smashed up by RFC fans after a game in the late 70s. I think this (along with other incidents) led to the away end at Pittodrie being shifted from the Merkland to the Beach End.

Given the (nominal) religious orientation up here, it’s all a bit baffling to find that Rangers fans have suddenly decided the name a lot of Dons fans call them is sectarian.

Rangers fans haven’t decided anything 

look at my earlier post . A court in 2008 deemed the word sectarian . So it’s not something that has suddenly been plucked from thin air 

Personally I think the intent behind the use of the word is what differentiates it from being sectarian or not, which is almost impossible to prove.

I referred to a couple of cases previously where it was determined the use of the word was sectarian, but I don’t doubt at all that people also use it with no sectarian intent (as has been highlighted in this thread).

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

Personally I think the intent behind the use of the word is what differentiates it from being sectarian or not, which is almost impossible to prove.

I referred to a couple of cases previously where it was determined the use of the word was sectarian, but I don’t doubt at all that people also use it with no sectarian intent (as has been highlighted in this thread).

It’s the point black refusal to accept that their may be a sectarian meaning the word that is baffling. 

so far we have had statements from 

- anti sectarian charities . Which was rubbished by a poster stating “aye but of course they are gonna say , they are anti sectarian charity “

- the government 

- courts actually punishing people for using it 

Yet still some just refuse to take this information in 

Edited by Forever_blueco

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Until it gets taken to a higher court (I think)   Maybe  @tamthebam will confirm for us? 

It's more likely an appeal point would establish precedence with a senior Judge, or more likely Judges,making a ruling.

The Crown or the Defence can refer to a "reported" Sheriff court case i.e. one that is mentioned in one of the Scottish legal journals but a High Court, or as they have now, Sheriff Appeal Court decision will carry more weight.

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's more likely an appeal point would establish precedence with a senior Judge, or more likely Judges,making a ruling.

The Crown or the Defence can refer to a "reported" Sheriff court case i.e. one that is mentioned in one of the Scottish legal journals but a High Court, or as they have now, Sheriff Appeal Court decision will carry more weight.

Not got a damn clue. Any chance you can dumb this down a wee bit for us PnB crowd big chap?   

35 minutes ago, AJF said:

I know of a couple of Protestant Celtic fans who are happy to throw the word about when it comes to Rangers fans and there are clips of Rangers fans singing it against Bayern which i guess is in reference to them being called the H word throughout WW2 so it’s word that seems to have been used in Scottish football for many years by fans of many clubs but obviously more so Celtic fans 

It’s one of those words can be used to refer to Rangers fans in both sectarian and non sectarian terms depending on the persons intent however it’s also not up to the person using it to determine offence either and because of that it should be a word that we would be better seeing the back of alongside a few other words that can be viewed the same way.

The sad thing about all of this is there is an opportunity here to actually do something positive if people would just stop throwing shit at each other and hoping it sticks but it’s equally sad that it comes as no surprise

Edited by Jinky67

8 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Not got a damn clue. Any chance you can dumb this down a wee bit for us PnB crowd big chap?   

OK: Sheriff makes a ruling. That's like Tynierose handing out a warning.

Sheriff Appeal Court makes a ruling. That's like Keithgy welding the banhammer

Appeal Judge makes a ruling. That's like Div wielding the banhammer.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Is the Hand & Heart/ibroxrocks guy who's having a meltdown the same worstcunt who guested on that episode of The Terrace pod and talked for over an hour about Rangers & Celtic and everyone called him out for being absolutely fucking terrible?

Quick search of The Terrance pod feed tells me he's been on it so yeah probably

probAmistake.PNG

28 minutes ago, shortcable said:

Quick search of The Terrance pod feed tells me he's been on it so yeah probably

probAmistake.PNG

Cheers, that's a different episode to the one I was talking about. I generally give any of the Patreons about Rangers a massive swerve because...well, sitting listening to a dedicated half hour of chat about them is very much not for me.

As @craigkillie pointed out the one I was asking about had a guy called Adam on and is a different guy to the one having the current meltdown on their Twitter.

Edited by capt_oats

I think the one above was the last time Edgar appeared to do the Rangers previews (there are similar shows for every club with their fans involved) - by that point he had already started his descent into what you see now, a grubby opportunist using sectarianism to line his pockets.

10 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

After the last couple of days I’d gladly see the back of it, only use it on here cause I know it get blocked out. But as has been pointed out already, loads of Protestants use it to describe rangers and their followers, there was even a time when rangers fans used it to taunt Celtic fans. 

Correct. Back in the 60s all opposing fans were called that word.

I think the one above was the last time Edgar appeared to do the Rangers previews (there are similar shows for every club with their fans involved) - by that point he had already started his descent into what you see now, a grubby opportunist using sectarianism to line his pockets.

I presume he won’t be invited back then?

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Correct. Back in the 60s all opposing fans were called that word.

Even earlier perhaps. The term was adopted as the Hun was the enemy in WW2; according to an older, now departed relative of mine, it was sung with gusto an visiting supports, as in 'Go home you hun'. He also mentioned 'Gers' and 'Germans' being a common association.

But as I've mentioned already, this fury at the use of a word is part of the deflection by Ibrox fans to take attention away from their club adopting symbols and organisations which appeal to the base element of the support.